11ft Bullwhip - First 'long' whip build

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Sir Roger Tuson

11ft Bullwhip - First 'long' whip build

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

For the last couple of weeks I've been building my first proper 'long' whip. It was original designed as a 12' but (as always, it seems) circumstances meant it ended up at 11'.

I've done a standard 4-3-2 Twisted Taper core and this time I only closed loop bound the first few inches past the transition. To be honest, I just couldn't face closed loop binding 11' of thong! I hope it hasn't cost me...

Anyway, from a build perspective it's just a longer version of my standard model - 3 bellies (8/12/16 plt) ending in a 4-pt tip. I'm planning a slightly different transition Turk's Head which I hope will work.

Here are some pics:

Sorting the overly strands

Gotta say, this is damn straight plaiting!

After rolling, pre knotwork, fall and cracker

It's been a hard build, long hours of binding and plaiting. Just hope it all comes good.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

VERY nice plaiting, Roger!
It's a beauty!

For what it's worth I only close loop bind all TT core and belly ends, and just a few inches past the transition- from 4" to 14" of closed loop, but more than that of x binding.

This is really nice work, a beautiful whip!!!
Inch by inch.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

That's looking fantastic, Roger :). How do your TT core and handle fit together?
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Roger that's looking very good.
I love the colors.
It's a shame waxing will dull and probably darken them.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Very straight and very good color combo. It's always fun trying to decide in which order to drop colors, huh?
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Sir Roger Tuson

Matt, I use 10.5" 6mm steel bar as a handle, one end ground down to a round point. I 'hard' score the handle to create something for the paracord to grip onto (kinda like Velcro - hook and loop) and then start a 4-plt over it. When I get to the end of the handle, I switch from a 4-plt into a 2+2 strand Twisted Taper. Where you make the change from plait to twist can leave the transition very floppy but copious use of sinew sorts it out a treat.

Build your TT to desired length or style and then start an 8-plait belly from the top. This is your first belly. Bind heavily as per preference. 12plt second belly and bind, 16 plt overlay.

And there ya go. Roger's build method in two paragraphs. :D <cough>although there's a bit more going on</cough> ;)
Sir Roger Tuson

Yeah Ron, I expect the dark blue to go close to black, the mid blue to go way towards the original dark, and the carolina blue to do... something?

Whatever, into the wax it will most certainly go. :)

Craig, the damn shop shorted me on the dark blue. I originally planned to have the pale blue disappear and have a darker tail. Thing is, while I ordered 100ft of each, they only sent 60ft or Dark Blue so I had no choice but to swap the whole thing on its head. As it happens, I think it works really well.
Charlie Carpenter

Post by Charlie Carpenter »

Looks really good Roger, nice plaiting. I'm still to tackle a whip so long. Thanks for the build pics :)
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Sounds good to me ;). I do mine a bit differently, but I'd like to try your method; it looks like the transition comes out really smooth. My biggest problem with how I do my TTs is getting a bulge at the transition, which is probably caused by not filing down the rod enough; I file it to a square, take 1" of gut out of my four core strands, and lash them on to a deep groove I rat-tail file in the handle about 1" down from the end. Do you gut your core strands, leave them, or weight them? Just wondering how it'd affect the thickness of the handle.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Matt, maybe if you plaited the handle before you start your TT core it would turn a little more even at the transition. (plait turning into TT)

Ron
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Roger, you beat me to it. I do have to say, I'm really digging the 4 color overlay the way you did it. It makes for a very eye-catching pattern. Well done sir.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Frigging awesome Roger! Is the overlay 20 plait? (on my phone so pictures are small)

I don't think wax will affect the colour too much, my bright neon pink was only slightly less bright neon pink :P
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

It looks like 16 plait to me. Based on the fact that the plaiting starts off with 4 light blue then 4 dark blue.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Yeah you're right, now that I can see clearly on the computer :P
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Matt, I believe Roger guts all his strands. The inner strands of paracord can shrink if they get wet but the outer sheath may not- causing very weird twisting. It also makes for a "mushy" whip. I would urge you to always gut the strands. You will get a much smoother and more compact base. That's what you'll want to look for, tight and firm. My opinion :)
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roger, that looks splendid! I really hope I might be able to try it one day....
'Less is often more!'
Michal Pylak

Post by Michal Pylak »

Roger, this plaiting is outstanding. I love this colour choice and I'm waiting for final photos :)
Sir Roger Tuson

I really want to get on with the knotwork but I have so much writing to do. I can't get out and crack it yet as the garden is just too wet and muddy (I usually attach fall and cracker before the knots just to get a feel for the flow). I may sneak down a little later and start the transition knotwork. Got something in mind for that...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Roger , I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the transition knot.

Ron
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Congrats Roger! You did a damn fine job on your first long one. I'm a sucker for blue, so that color scheme is right up my alley
He died for me, I'll live for him

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”