The Fast Figure 8 from 1/5/17 to 1/14/17

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Matt, welcome to the 10/10 challenge and thank you for sharing your video !!!

The weather conditions during the last couple of days haven't been "whipcracking friendly" in my area and I had more stick "practice sessions" than I wanted to on my fast figure 8 practice.
It was hard for me to tell how much (or if) my fast figure 8 technique has improved during the last couple of days because of the stormy weather in my area (the thong got pulled sidewas by the wind quiet often) - nevertheless it's been a lot of fun practicing :) !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, it's raining here so it's a stick practice for me as well.

Tomorrow is the start of a new crack.

In Vol. II the next crack in sequence is the "cross over".
It has two parts to it and we will begin and learn the first part the forward crack.
Happy crackin' . :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Matt, welcome!

Robby's DVD's are good, but not necessary to learn the cracks. It's nice to have them all in one place, and I am happy to own the set, but you should be able to find enough info here on these threads and in YouTube to learn the cracks.

To everyone:
I have been slowly going through the fast figure 8, but at this point it's mostly just me working on the second crack section. I haven't been able to practice everyday like I had hoped, and I probably will just be focusing on stick practices until I am comfortable with the movements. Hence I am probably going to be making late entries, but I am still going to try to keep up with the current routines as best I can.
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

I know that we have moved onto the Forward Flick but I am still struggling a lot with the second maneuver of this crack. I feel like I'm just flailing around. Every time I watch Daren Wilkerson's and Robby's video something gets lost in the translation and my arm bends funny or the whip crosses across my body or something.

I haven't had many chances to practice due to a few things recently, but I've been working on stick practices, which help, but I'm not sure how much. Luckily the rain is supposed to be ending today and maybe I can go and see what I see tomorrow during a live practice. But this is very frustrating. Learning this is like, I imagine, learning to dance. Sometimes I think I'd be happy now just to get the motions down nice and smooth, screw the cracks.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Tristan Foy wrote: Sometimes I think I'd be happy now just to get the motions down nice and smooth, screw the cracks.
And that, Tristan, is the key to making progress. I've found it to be so for myself; Robby keeps saying it, to me and to lots of others - get the form right and never mind about the cracks. They will come in time....

I think this may be a real step forward for you! :)
'Less is often more!'
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

I think so, too Robert, and I know others, but especially you, have pointed this out, but with all things, sometimes one needs to learn them for themselves.

But it is nice to hear the validation, as well. :-)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Tristan, I actually believe one needs to learn everything for oneself. Other people's wisdom is always 'second hand knowledge'. However valuable it may be, we always have to make it our own to gain much benefit!

Keep at it, man! You have many years ahead of you to keep improving!
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Tristan, Mr. Robert's right.
"If you build it they will come." (Field of Dreams)
Work on and build the form and the cracks will come when the form is right.

Ron
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

So, after a while of not really having time to crack at all, I went out and spent 30 minutes cracking today. One more 10 minute session and I'll be done with the first 10 days of this crack.

Today I spent most of the time just working on the back crack. Learning it has felt counter-intuitive to me, like how it felt when I was trying to play both different notes with both hands on the piano, back when I still took lessons and could play. But happily I started to made progress. As with all these cracks, I'm going to need way, way more than 10 days to get decent at them, and I will probably continue to post updates and videos, if other cracks are still willing and able to give feedback. That's one of the brilliant things about Jesse's suggestion: breaking this into sections so that we can easily find the crack we are looking for.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Tristan, that's the importance of practicing as much as possible.
I find if I don't crack for a while I lose a lot.

Ron
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Finished it today, finally. I'm no master of it, but I've been learning the movements at least, and have something real to work with. I'll be doubling up if I have time for the forward flick.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Good job Tristan.
Keep at it.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Well I thought I would post my first attempt at my fast figure 8 10/10 challenge.
I was in a bit of a rush, I had other duties to get busy with, but I promised some video clips.
I screwed up on the 10th one. Forgive me being unable to hold back my frustration :)
I'll be trying again soon enough.

https://youtu.be/NvKBrxks16c
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thanks for posting.
It looks good. You have been practicing. :)
Nice flow.

I usually just do one fast 8 at a time to warm up then I do multiples but usually only 4 or so at a time. It wears me out a bit.

Good job.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for the comments Ron. I'm hoping I will improve after 10 days :)
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Looks smooth, Russell :). Can't tell from that angle how your vertical alignment is (that's my biggest problem :P) but it looks good from the side.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thank you Matt. I should have turned to show the vertical alignment.
I will have another attempt soon and make sure I show it. No doubt I have things I need to brush up on!
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Don't we all mate, don't we all :).
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Indeed mate :)
I have to admit I was much more easily able to identify a lot of errors myself when watching my clip.
As much as I cringe watching myself on camera, it is a very useful tool to help identify and correct technical imperfections. (In conjunction with the more esteemed whipcrackers present on this great forum)
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, self correction can be the most important one.
It shows that you can recognize what you are doing incorrectly.
Being able to see and know that, shows good understanding of what you are doing and what needs to be done.
This is excellent.

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”