This is the Gallery of "Sui Generis Whips" - Jessie Edwards

This new Gallery replaces the former "Masters Gallery", which will work from now on as pure archive. Here you will find not only the work and art from folks who sell whips, but also from folks, who create their whips out of pure passion. And we have an additional gallery. It is called "The Gallery - Making of".
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Willow looks fantastic and I love the pictures which you've taken!

All the best
Ben
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Jessie, those photos look as if they could be the setting of a fantasy story. Well done!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Awesomework and representation Jssie! Just one thing... was Willow abused in your opinion?
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I'm not sure. I think the transition was bent backwards severely against the curve. The plaiting was really open and loose there. On the other hand, we have to remember that willow was the 5th whip I had ever made. On the other hand, I would have noticed that amount of gapping and would never have even considered sending it to Robby for a review in that condition. The cracked handle and loose peg would have absolutely happened with hyperexstension as diamond willow is not a hard wood by any means. On the other hand, Robby told me all the things that WERE wrong with willow. The transition was too short, it wasn't well balanced, the fall hitch wasn't the best, but he knew it was my 5th whip and he would have never let me sell it if it was a bad whip overall. We are close friends, but we don't lie to each other. Lastly, Robert and Roger saw it and while Roger might not say anything simply because we don't know each other as well, Robert is also rather close to me and he too, I believe, would tell me if there were major issues. Was it abused? Maybe. I can't prove anything and the photos I had of it were not good or detailed enough to really compare. I only can say that when it left my house, I felt it was good enough, even as an early specimen, to be featured on a video. When it came home, it was not at all in the condition it left me. I'm quite confident now, though, to show off every inch of this whip. Russell is getting it 100% better than it was before it left Robby's house. I would suggest that detailed photos be taken of the Whips before sending them. I have taken to doing it for my customers anyway as well as taking photos during the build to keep them informed of how it's going and to prove that it is being built (I think Scott had been told his whip was done when it wasn't), but I'm also doing it for me, so I have photo proof of what condition the whip is in when it leaves me. I'm not sure if it would build a case with customs, but if a customer comes at me complaining, especially if it is abuse on their part, I have pictures. That's pretty much what I am walking out of this experience with. Lastly, I don't want anyone to think Russell did anything. As excited as he was to have it, knowing when it was built, and being so grateful to have my little bit of personal history, I know he wasn't responsible either. My only question really is, was the box abused? Smashed? Opened and taped back up? No one ever told me any of this, so I can't draw conclusions. All I can do is the only thing I thought was right, to rebuild it and hope Russell is happy with version 2.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Knowing how Russel cracks whips I can say , as you did, that he sure did not abuse the whip.
It's a good practice to follow as far as taking photos is concerned. I would add a "dated" photo would also help, although there are programs to date the photo long after it was built with any date you want to super impose.

Russel will be thrilled with Willow V.2.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Jessie, as far as I was concerned, there were no major issues with Willow v1.0 I did not spend too much time cracking it and most of my attention was on the handle and how it felt in the hand. I did notice the fall hitch was a bit ropey but I did not use it enough to form a true opinion on balance or transition length.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, I can confirm that I saw no major issues with Willow V.1 when I saw it in Munich. The handle certainly felt a little unusual, but after Robby said, 'Forget about the feel of the handle and just crack it,' I realised it was fine. There was certainly no visible gapping.
'Less is often more!'
Sir Roger Tuson

I agree. Once you got used to the shape of the handle, Willow cracked very well.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

It goes to New Zealand tomorrow morning. :). hopefully, Russell will have it in a week or so.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Great job Jessie. :)

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I feel sure that Russell will be extremely happy! I certainly would be! :)
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I know, it's pink. Most of you wouldn't choose this color, but I would. Pink and black with dyed mahogany veneers and a hand cut deer silhouette in rose gold. The long knot on the handle added quite a bit of weight. I am thinking of putting a weighted fall on to balance it out. IDK...

~Management
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Jessie, I like it, the handle is fantastic.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Christopher Milton

Post by Christopher Milton »

Jessie, that's great work. I really like how the cracker matches the rest of the whip. Such a small detail, really that makes it all the better.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Thank you :)
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Yeah, it's not my color, however I like this one.
I especially love the long handle with the deer inlay.
The long knot is so cool. It must have been a challenge for sure and you did a super job.
Good job.
How does it crack?

Ron
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Jessie, I really like that long knot. Great idea!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, I suppose that is 'pink', but it's not the colour I was expecting. I thought you meant a much lighter, 'candy-floss' sort of colour. This is far nicer!
'Less is often more!'
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Beatiful pic Jessie! I love the details on this one!
Sir Roger Tuson

Well, I LIKE the pink! Not sure I could deal with the big heel knot, though. I prefer something a little smaller and more rounded but hey, diff'rent strokes and all that. :D

Return to “Makers and Masters (+++public thread+++)”