8 ft charity bullwhip project

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Jesse Bessette

8 ft charity bullwhip project

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Here is my latest build, I'm not quite done, but it is an 8 ft bullwhip in navy blue and yellow, the colors of the fire department it is being donated to. One of the firefighters from that station was injured in an off duty accident and I wanted to help raise some money, so this is going to be included in the raffle. Let me know what you guys think.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Quarter ... ml?filters[user]=145987402&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Don't use that link. You can if you want, but I clicked the wrong thing on the website. This should be the right one. Here's hoping...

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Looks nice :-)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

It does indeed look nice, Jesse! (And I've never been a fan of putting blue and yellow together....)
'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Very nice plaiting. Charity whips are the best. I hope it raises piles of money. Jesse, that is a very kind and noble gesture
He died for me, I'll live for him
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Thanks guys. Glad to hear it's liked. I'm hoping it helps raise some money too.
-Mark Twain
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Robert Gage wrote:It does indeed look nice, Jesse! (And I've never been a fan of putting blue and yellow together....)
Robert - i think its because blue and yellow are primary colors - normally these dont go very well together - thats why superman looks goofy - he puts 3 primary colors together.

But here it looks ok :-) it has a purpose
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

That's a nice looking whip, Mr. Jesse!!! That's indeed the best build, charity whips. My husband's a firefighter so this is indeed something I see as really cool. Thank you for helping!
Inch by inch.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Looking good Jesse, hope you raise tons~
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Seeing the colors in person, the combination is awesome. The picture isn't really conveying the real color of it, but it's a spectacular combination. Its a very dark blue, it really almost looks like black and a really bright yellow. I'm not sure what to do about the knots yet, at least what color to do the, but I'll figure that out soon. I figured if the colors are on the "uniform" for the fire department then those are the ones I should be using.

Thanks Rachel and Brandon.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jesse, nice straight plaiting.
Good job.
How does it crack?

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Very nice plaiting work Jesse. Sometimes, 'odd' colour combinations just work out.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jesse - and Morten - I think perhaps this works because the blue is so dark....
'Less is often more!'
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Robert, that's kind of what I'm thinking. That might be why firefighter uniforms can look so sharp.

I have no idea yet how it cracks. It's actually not finished yet. I have about a foot of plaiting left to do, but I'll get that done today.
-Mark Twain
Charlie Carpenter

Post by Charlie Carpenter »

Nice work, hope it makes good money, it's certainly worth it
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I hope so too. Like I said, kinda nervous considering its not a custom (meaning not ordered by a specific customer) and it's going out in public. I just hope people like the colors, if you know what I mean.
-Mark Twain

Post by Guest »

Looking like it's getting along nicely : )

One thing of advice: when there's such a thick transition (like my whips usually have) you would benefit to have a steeper horizontal angle on the plaiting to cover the thong without gaps. Bobbi calls this "the pack and stack" where you intentionally overlap the strands while plaiting. Rolling will take care of the bunching and you'll end up with a well-behaving, gapless whip!
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

It is nice and its nice of you to donate to the cause. I hope you make lots :)
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

It's actually one of the thinnest transitions I've had. And the bulge begins on the handle, so I was able to get it tighter as I went. This is from early on in the build. The strands are actually just outside of the frame of the picture. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind, but I think the transition is pretty good on this one. I definitely would love to send one of my whips out to somebody to see what their opinion is, that's for sure.
-Mark Twain
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Well, we have the one on one whip swap section. Why don't you start a thread requesting a partner? :) If you don't hear from anyone, let me know. I'm a GREAT cheerleader.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”