The Slow Figure Eight

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Jessie Edwards

The Slow Figure Eight

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Picking up where we left off on the slow figure eight. This is day #5
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thanks Jessie.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Your welcome :) I kind of even remember what I did this time. Tee hee.
~Management
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I'm hoping to get a video online of this tomorrow. Been fighting some rain right now, so I don't want to bring the whip out to get soaked. If the ground is terribly wet out, I might just do it with my silver and Gray one. I was able to do some practice with an adorable little 3 footer I made, as I could use that inside.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Today's practice was steady but my elbow keeps making a "one winged chicken doing the chicken dance at a wedding reception" impression.
Meh.

Ron
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

OKay, use your entire arm. I think you guys are trying to do the crack using only your forearm and leaving your shoulder stationary. Your arm just does not bend that way. Of course you will look like a chicken. The whole arm. Watch as you bring the entire arm up for the circus crack, that SAME motion is mirrored behind you. Your shoulder joint is made to move that way. It should work better for you and feel better for that matter.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Jessie.
I'll sure try that tomorrow.

Right now I have a bridesmaid to meet. :) (she liked my chicken dance)

Ron
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Okay, so I said I'd get a video up and running. Here is the link. About halfway through this video, I did have a flubbed crack. My whip actually caught a leaf, which it tangled in the cracker. The next couple swings actually blew the leaf apart. Worked pretty well
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I forgot to paste the link.....

https://youtu.be/Evgwe_qXTGU
-Mark Twain
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Not bad at all, Jesse! (Are you left handed, or practicing with your left arm?)
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Jesse, your practice looks very good !!!

On todays practice I'll focus on the reverse circus crack spereatly in order to avoid moving the handle to the 10 o'clock position and I'll be focusing on my off hand practice as well.
Jessie informed me about the great idea Jesse had of creating seperate threads for each 10 day challenge. I apologize for having posted my last practice video in the wrong thread !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRgBM0vbwU

Have a great new year everyone !!!

All the best
Ben
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I am left handed. I can crack ambidextrously. And what I am actually thinking of doing, is with this challenge cycling, switching to my right hand the next time we hit the slow figure eight.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, that looks really good.
(I like the little roll out you did towards the end. that's a good whip)

Ron
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thanks Ron !!!

Mr. Partin posted in the build thread of this whip that he wasn't happy with the roll out and I belive it was Rachel who posted that the roll out of the whip will probably be perfect after the whip has been broken in - Rachel was absolutely right :) - I LOVE THIS WHIP !!!

All the best
Ben
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Ok, so for the remainder of the slow figure 8, are we just discussing it in this thread from now on?

I posted my update, which was my first day at it actually, in the major thread, but the video to it is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCE8UyQKMh0
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Tristan, it appears that you are doing the same thing I was.
Not using the whole arm on the rear crack.
Try using less force in both directions.
Keep it up you're doing fine and it will be a natural move in no time.

Ron
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Tristan, I am seeing inconsistency in the back swing. Sometimes the thong goes to 12 o'clock before you bring it down, sometimes it comes all the way around to 2 o'clock, which is waaay too late. Just take a minute and do the circus crack. Look at what you are doing and where your hand starts. I know Robby says to focus on something in the distance, but you need to look at your crack a little bit to learn this exercise. Really pay attention to where everything is. Bring it up to 12 o'clock and down. You are going to do exactly this on the back swing. I think it might be okay, if you just spent about 5 minutes with the circus crack again, then go ahead and swing behind. This is a hard one. It took me a long time and now that I have a little better idea of how it should go, I have to break bad habits. Once you get that plane down, you're gonna find it will kind of just fall into place. Ron is right about the arm, but one thing at a time. I would suggest working on the timing first 12 to 6 then 6 to 12. No crack, just swing slowly.
~Management
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Tristan - thank you for sharing your video !!!

There is not much I can add to the advice which Jessie and Ron have posted already. I also found it very helpful to take a look at the entire action until the right timing has been achived. A method that has worked out for me was to practice the slow figure 8 in a front plane instead of practicing it sideway plane (this way I was able to have visual control of the entire action).

If you scroll down in this thread you'll see a picture of me doing the slow figure 8 in a front plane:

viewtopic.php?id=4973&p=3

All the best
Ben
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Jesse, you mean just do the circus crack in the backswing?
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

It's Jessie.

Jesse is a guy. :) Let the chaos ensue.

I was trying to explain, to just study how you are doing the circus crack and mirror that on the back swing, paying attention to where it is at all times. Does that make sense? I am seeing your circus crack is consistent, but you are kind of all over the place when you get to the reverse circus crack. So I am suggesting that you really look at what you are doing and go slow. It would be so much easier if I was right beside you and I could guide your arm. Meh.
~Management

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”