The Slow Figure Eight

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Ah yeah, my bad! I've said before (and many more times to myself) that the lack of editing here irks me.

Yes, this has also occurred to me numerous times just how nice it would be to have someone with me who knew what they were talking about to physically show me and give me immediate feedback in the field.

I'm about to head out to practice. Yesterday I got in a 30 minute practice, but it was still only my second day.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Was waiting for that to happen...

Tristan, my advice mirrors that of a few others here. Be more careful about the amount of muscle used. If you're really powering through these cracks, they aren't going to be smooth. It looks like that might be a part of why it keeps you wrapping you. Let the Whip do most of the work. You also pause between the forward and rear cracks. Use the downswing of the circus crack as the upswing for the rear crack. If you have ever seen Adam Winrich's video on this, he goes over how to do this really well. If not, here's a link. I'm not sure how anybody else feels about him, but his basic cracking tutorials are super easy to follow. They're actually the way I learned most of it.

https://youtu.be/2LACbi25RSw
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

It's okay. There is a reason for no editing. Bottom line is, if you are willing to type it once, you mean it. While it is bothersome when it comes to little things, it certainly has forced a certain standard of behavior that basically states, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I know it's a pain in the ass. Meh. I don't have any real hands on people with me either. But, when I did get it, it really helped. Possibly we can set up a US meet and greet at some point. Go ahead and get your practice time in and see if it goes any better for you. You're doing great. :) I got almost 45 minutes in myself today. I was hoping to possibly have a bit of a routine going for the shoots this summer and we have our horse parade during the Pickle Fest for the WOWS group. It might be cool to have a little thing going for that. We will see. As it is, I'm the teacher and all my students are doing whatever.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Tristan, where are you from? I know a bunch of people who crack whips but aren't on here, somebody may be close to you
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

What I have found is that the reverse circus crack should mirror the forward circus crack in movement and in the same plane.

I would suggest looking at Robby's video and see how the forward mirrors the reverse movement. A little hesitation is also needed to allow the thong to be in position on both the forward and reverse cracks. With out it it will just slam into the ground.

https://youtu.be/rbA4JcMq1do

I hope that makes sense.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Jesse, I'm currently living in Austin, TX.

Thank you guys and gals for the videos and advice. I'll watch them and head out soon.
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

I have actually found Adam's videos to be extremely useful.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Some of them are. This crack, for example, he does a great job explaining. If he takes his time, you can learn a lot from Adam too. Sometimes, he goes way too fast. I'm a slow learner, so I need a slow teacher in order to 'get it' and build up a good foundation.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Jessie, I end up watching them several times before I even think of trying them.

Tristan, I'll do some asking. I might actually know somebody out that way. Not necessarily in Austin itself, but pretty close. I've been out that way a couple times. I usually contribute to the traffic at RTX.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

That's what I really like about Robby's videos.
It's an in depth description breaking it down very nicely and slowly.

The hard part comes in trying make my body and arms and hands do the same thing that my brain and his instruction tell me to do. :)
That's no fault of the teacher, but the failure of the student.

It's getting better though. :)

Ron
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

Jessie* sorry. I did it again. I'll probably do it a few more times too. I'm not really familiar with the name "Jesse" spelled that way either, actually. But no one can spell my namely correctly, so I guess that's something.

20 minutes today. I watched both videos and have had some success now. I don't have a video myself, and I'm sure the form is kinda rocky. But I was able to get some cracks, and also, even though tit was rocky, it felt more natural.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Tristan, when you start feeling more natural about a crack that's when it gives you more confidence and it becomes much easier.
Good job.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jesse, Adam's demonstration (post #22) of the slow figure-8 isn't bad, but I think he uses far too much muscle. Ron's video (post #25) is far more relaxed, and much closer to what I aspire to. (Ron, it's a pity that you and the whip are in shadow, and not in the bright sunlight behind you!) I keep trying to remember Robby's advice to me, delivered in various forms, which boils down to this: 'Don't try so hard!'
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thank you Mr. Robert.
I will try that .

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Actually, Ron, I was thinking more of Tristan. (Forgive me, Tristan!) :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I realized that as soon as I clicked submit.
Tristan Foy

Post by Tristan Foy »

I thought he was talking about you, too Ron. And I thought "That applies to me, too."

The thing is, it's almost as if I don't know how to lighten it up. My default setting is to use more strength.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Tristan, I think that's why Robby suggested that - once I understood what I wanted to do with the whip - I should actually think about something else altogether while actually doing it! This sounds impossible, but it sort of works! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Yesterdays and todays practice involved taking longer pauses in between as usual during the 10/10 challenge. The reason for that was that I don't like cracking a whip while wearing gloves and I started to loose fealing in my fingers quiet fast due to the cold weather conditions. Those longer pauses had a positive effect on my whipcracking - the practice of the past two days fealt a lot better :)

Tristan, congratulations on your success on the slow figure 8 !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Tristan, the only thing I can think of is, start out as slow as you can and still keep the whip in the air.
Then once you get the movement feeling better, then gently speed up the velocity (not power) until you get a subsonic "poof".
Practice at that level for a while then slowly increase again until you get that beloved "crack".

This works very well for me. Also using a handle/stick only, just to get the movement down right.

Ron

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”