One on One Swap: For Morten

Brandon "Sparky" Lam

One on One Swap: For Morten

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

So excited to be part of a whip swap! ^_^

This may or may not take a while, I've got a lot of things to do before new years so I might have to pause this until then XD

10 inch steel handle. I've rounded off the edges, but that's all the modifications I do to it!

My core - I use 6mm cord with 4.5mm steel balls inside, and then splice a length of normal 550 paracord. This splice acts both as a smaller core, as well as blocking the BBs from getting out. This core is short, since I now like doing the twisted taper to the next belly method. Also, the steel is wrapped in hockey tape to give it a little more grip with the paracord.

It begins.

This is where I'm breaking for tonight, it's 2:45am and I'm kinda tired :P Haven't even completed the first belly, but ah well, rest is needed!

I'll update when I next work on the whip :D
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Oh it's so pretty! We should do an inside-out whip swap using only scraps and leftovers just to see what kind of color combos we get.

And now I have the Totoro song stuck in my head.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Brandon, that looks like a very good start.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

ahaha that could get messy really quickly! I actually tend to use ALL my scraps from the previous whip in my next one, since I buy in 500' spools.
...Unfortunately I didn't have scraps this time round, I actually chose this colour combo :3
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Yay someone who likes Totoro in WB!! :D Totoro totoro~

Thank you Ron! :)
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Hi

I am looking so much forward to getting this - even more excited than christmas :-)

Love the looks so far

I am starting the desing of yours tomorrow - and have to say i am nerveus.... first time i make a whip for somebody who actually know something about them :-)
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

ahaha I hope my whip meets your expectations! :P

So small update, didn't have too much time but I finished off the first belly. Charlie and I actually had a small conversation about the way we end our bellies, in the past I ended them in a twisted taper up to the next belly length. The problem I had with that was that since it was 2 strands per "twist", it could potentially end up being too large of a diameter for the next belly. So, after hearing what he's done, I did something similar.

So once I finished my 4 plait for the end of this belly, I stopped, cut each strand, and used a needle to put the two strands on top into the strands on the bottom.

It kinda looks like this. That core strand I'll pull out, cut and melt just like the normal strand drops. Here, I start doing a twisted taper on the two "thicker" strands.

This is what it looks like - you can actually kinda tell where the strands ended, cause the twisted taper becomes somewhat thinner! :P Then it's a simple task of placing that last strand into the long red one. The long red one will then become the core of the end of the next belly :)

And this is the complete belly -

Annnnddd now I gotta run off, do a whole bunch of paperwork and other tasks. Will update when I continue with the binding and plaiting! :)
Charlie Carpenter

Post by Charlie Carpenter »

Cool man, glad I'm not crazy or at least someone else is as crazy as me :) Looking really good, it's cool to see when people adapt ideas to their own methods. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

A very nice job Brandon.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Looks Good :-)
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Charlie, we can be crazy together! :P

Thanks Ron and Morten~

Post by Guest »

Looking good!

I'd be careful to create any kind of irregularities like I see on the transition on your core: every little bump tend to accumulate going towards the overlay. Why don't you slip the handle all the way trough the 6mm core, singe it on the butt-end and bind it for good measure?

Other than that it looks like a nice design!
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thanks Erik!

Funnily enough, I actually like that bump there. It gives me a visual/tactile feel of where the transition starts (cause sometimes it's hard to tell where it is if you've bound it a lot), as well as (personally) I like the transition being slightly larger than the handle, even though on a 2 belly whip it's literally invisible.

I would love to give that a try, but my steel rods are actually 1/4in/6.35mm thick (that's the only ones I could find around 6mm), and my cord is 6mm, so it's hard enough getting it in there as is! :O

But thank you for the advice, I'll try find some 6mm rods as opposed to 1/4in if I can :D

Post by Guest »

Alright I see! I'm also afraid if I order 1/4 music wire it's too large for the battlecord I'm using.

I have a swell in the transition too, but what I meant is I see some irregular bumpage on the transition that might be a problem later.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Ohhh yeah, I see what you mean. If I remember, that picture was taken before I quickly rolled the core, so I think that might be the tape accidentally folding on itself? Either way, I'll be sure to be careful with the transition ^_^
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Have to say - i see the bump on the first pic - but hardly on the rolled belly - looking good
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

And Picachu on the shirt. :) Badass. I like this new avatar. :)

Anyhoo, cool idea on the taper you guys. I think this OOO whip swap is resulting in some good learning and teamwork.
~Management
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Thanks Morten! Jessie, that Pikachu shit is one of my favourites :D Though I've managed to rip a small hole in it :'(
This OOO whip swap (Yass, I love that name) is turning out to be a fun activity~

Ok so I didn't have much time today, but I've bound the first belly (jeez, this whip is going really slowly). I'm a little nervous about posting it here, after looking at everyone's whips standing like a stick, but here we go -

Hopefully I have time to work on it after new years :D

Post by Guest »

Lost it at "Pikachu shit" x DDDD

OOO! I like that!

I think it's looking proper tension wise. I'd give it a good heavy roll to sort the nooks.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Picachu shit huh? I always wondered about what that looked like. Does it glow, because...lightning?
...I could edit that for you, but I refuse. It made me giggle and comic relief is precious to me. Speaking of t-shirts. T shirts in the merchandise area saying "I participated in the Ooo Whip Swap 2016" would be fun. Oooooooo Whip Swap.

Back on point. I think the binding is fine. You have more binding to do and straight-as-a-stick-stiff is overkill IMO. One way or another, it will break in and a broke in whip is a joy to crack. Who wants to wait for years before you have joy? I understand that if bound properly, it will break in to a certain point and simply plateau. So I wonder if stiff is great, but technique is better.
~Management

Return to “Private whip swap area”