One on one Swap: For James

Post by Guest »

Awesome! So glad to see the idea coming to fruit = ))

Looking forward for a crack video...!

I've only faced uneven shrinkage when using two different colors on each side. For me it seems it doesn't make a difference which way the whip is in the pot.

Give it some cracking so it'll have some flow to be just : )
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Here's the video of Roger's whip in action. As you can see, I can do the figure eight, but the whip has a tendency to wrap around my legs. That could just be me, though.

https://youtu.be/AO3ypPx7l2Y
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Craig, that looks like a really nice whip for sure.
Sir Roger, nice job.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks very much for this, Craig - and well done, Roger! It does indeed look to be a good whip.
Craig, it would be easier to see how the whip itself behaves if you muscled it less. (Surely it doesn't need that super-powerful treatment to crack, does it?)
'Less is often more!'
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Thanks for the video Craig. I'm surprised that you feel the need to use so much force though. When I did some test cracks after waxing, once that weird 'slop' to the right had diminshed (I think the wax was bedding itself in), I was able to do underhand, circus and overhead cracks with about half the energy you seem to be putting in and the horizontal crack hardly needed much more than a gentle push of the handle to get a very satisfying crack.

I'd be really interested is hearing how the whip 'feels' to you; how it rolls out, the weight, balance. My aim in building whips is to have a piece that flows, that is an extension of your arm. I want my whips to need the gentlest touch to form that loop and create the crack. I feel I'm nearly there (at least I hope I am!)
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Oh, and as to yours, I'm afraid the weather here has been foul for days and thanks to two large excitable dogs, my garden is less a smooth expanse of lawn and more and more a mudpit! I took yours outside on Sunday morning but after only two or thee cracks it looked liked it had been dragged across a freshly ploughed field. However, those two or three cracks came fairly easily so I'm rather looking forward to giving it a full test run.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Roger - I'm still a novice cracker so I may indeed be using too much power. I'll try some more and see if I can learn more finesse with you whip. When I tried less strength on the overhead I was only getting puffs, but I may be doing something wrong as I don't practice nearly enough. That being said, there is definitely a noticeable difference in the feel between your whip and mine that may be throwing me off. Not a flaw, just a difference.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Yep. Too much power, Craig. You push your arm forward, while the whip would run in a nice circle. You kinda force it into an ellipse. And the reason why you wrap it around your legs is, that you bring your wrist in the direction of your back, when the whip travels behind you. So the whip can only go there where you tell it to go. And in that moment you tell her to go behind your legs :) Just watch your wrist. Don't bend it. Hold it nice and straight. Then the whip will stay on track. Right by your side.

And - trust me - the whip would love to do all the work for you. You only have to allow that. So - relax and watch the whip do all the work. Serious. When you add that much power, it's like a smaller car you hook onto a Ferrari. You pull that poor car three times faster that it could go by itself. Just slow down.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

The Ferrari analogy is excellent. I found myself hitting my legs and even back all the time when I started. I realized I was muscling it to get it to crack. I slowed down and it cracks pretty easily.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

That's a nice whip. I have trouble with that crack also.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Robby - thank you and you are right. Whip cracking for me is becoming just like bowling. I know exactly what I should do (slow down, go straight, flick my wrist at the end, roll it, don't throw it) but there always seems to be interference or cross-talk on the transmission lines from my brain to my arm. I just need to work at it more.

I need try more with the figure eight while trying to keep my wrist and arm more aligned and it worked a lot better. I think part of it is that I'm too used to my limp whips that a good stiff whip is confusing me.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I said in another thread I did a drunk whip lesson the other day and I was surprised as to how well Drunk Guy did. I shouldn't say he was drunk either---he was "suspiciously and incredibly polite." AKA 1-1/2 sheets to the wind. Not sloppy, but very happy with life and what it has to offer. he was the easiest person on the planet to teach the circus crack to. Really. It was like he already knew how mostly. He listened. It was crazy. An important lesson can be learned from slightly drunk guy: RELAX. I think if we all learn how to relax without the whiskey, we will be awesome.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Craig, if you really want to learn, the 10/10 practice challenge is a good place to start.
If you've been following it you know what it's all about.
It works.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Hah, good idea Jessie. Never tried cracking while under the influence, might give it a shot one time :P
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Ooooo punny. Here we go.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie Edwards wrote: I think if we all learn how to relax without the whiskey, we will be awesome.
Perfectly put, Jessie! :)
'Less is often more!'
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Cool story Ms Jess and I agree with Mr Robert that was very well said.
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Hmm - just a note - couldnt we learn to relax with an appropriate amount of whiskey ?
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

Morten knows what he's talking about.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Ron May wrote:Craig, if you really want to learn, the 10/10 practice challenge is a good place to start.
If you've been following it you know what it's all about.
It works.

Ron
I admit that I've only been observing the 10/10 from afar. I also need to spend more time watching Robby's videos. Maybe I need to slow down on the making and work more on the using.

Return to “Private whip swap area”