One on one Swap: For James

Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Craig, why don't you go ahead and wax the concho? I always do, just dunk it right in there with the rest and if the wax is hot enough, you can wipe most of the wax off. If you have a lot of detail, hit it with a hair dryer and it will melt right off and soak into the rest of the knot.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

I tend to crack a whip as soon as it's complete and before waxing. I bind tightly so do a little breaking in and then do a wax.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Roger - I actually have a bad habit of cracking it after every layer in order to get a feel for the progress. I don't know if that's bad for the whip or not.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Jessie - guess I'm just paranoid.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Craig I feel of the whip every stage too. Might not crack it with a cracker, but I definitely wave it around. If one layer doesn't do right I can feel it right away and redo.
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Craig and Rachel - That makes complete sense to me. I can't imagine any reason not to 'test as you go'....
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I sort of do that too Rachel. I also , using my index finger, run the whip over it in front of me and see how it "drapes" and how the curve is as I pull it over.
If there's any part that is not consistent it shows.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Roger - I received your whip today, but I got home from work really late. I looked it over and cracked it a few times, but didn't get a chance to take pictures or really review it. I'll knock it out tomorrow. It looks fabulous and is very stiff.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you for it!
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I'm going to start by saying, I love this whip. It looks great, is very well tapered, has a good, stiff transition, has excellent knots, and is very well braided. There is one issue with it: it does have a noticeable right hand pull. Not enough to mess it up, but enough to see in the roll out test and to feel while cracking. The biggest result of that is that I need to use more forearm movement then usual. Some whips I can crack with mostly wrist action, but this one doesn't work well like that. This, unfortunately means that I can't do the underhand crack very well. However, cattleman, coachman, and overhead work well. The weird part is that I can actually do the figure eight crack with this whip with pretty good consistency, which I can't do with any other whip I have.

I honestly think that the right hand pull comes from the fact that you dropped a single strand at the beginning, went to double strand drops after that, and then kept the other side of the first strand until the end. I could be wrong.

There are a couple of small gaps and bunching when the strands were dropped, but not enough to affect anything. There is also some lumpiness, which I think comes from the way you dropped the strands, but once again, doesn't affect usage and actually adds some character to the thong. Oh, and your fall hitch is awesome. Way better than mine.

I did swap out the cracker for one of Jessie's, but that's just because I've grown rather found of hers.

I'll make a video later when my daughter gets home.

Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Nice colours and the knot looks real comfy. Something you can comfortably hold. The fall hitch is tidy. The bunching and small gaps might be part rectified with a good roll. Might help with pull to the right as well,...
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Wait! I take back what I said about the single strand drop! I don't think there actually is a single strand drop. I wasn't paying enough attention and may have missed something.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Really good job Sir Roger.
I like the colors and the knots are really nice.

Ron
Sir Roger Tuson

It's all doubled dropped, Craig.

Interesting what you said about the right hand pull. I've noticed that with all three whips that I've waxed, the first few cracks out of the bath, there's been an almighty tug to the right which has got progressively less and less the more I use the whip. I wonder if the waxing has exaggerated a slight twist towards the end. It's always been my biggest issue - and always towards the right. I've been focusing on my left hand more during the plaiting process. Still more attention required. :)
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Roger - maybe it has something to do with the orientation of the whip when you put it in the wax.
Jorden Hoefling

Post by Jorden Hoefling »

question Roger: how do you get the foundation anchored if the silicone sealing tape only sticks to itself? do you use glue or wire brads or anything?
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

is it possible for the wax to be shrinking it more on one side? My logic is that the wax heats up through convection. The closer to a heat source an item is, the more heat the object takes in. If you always lay the whip on the right side, that would be closest to the heat source.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jorden, I don't know about anyone else but I always either staple or use brads to secure the heel foundation.

Ron
Morten Aalykke Pedersen

Post by Morten Aalykke Pedersen »

Jesse Bessette wrote:is it possible for the wax to be shrinking it more on one side? My logic is that the wax heats up through convection. The closer to a heat source an item is, the more heat the object takes in. If you always lay the whip on the right side, that would be closest to the heat source.

I wax my whips in the oven on hot air and stir the bath before dipping - so the temperature huld be pretty even - i see different schrinkage more in the direction of the bend of the whip
Sir Roger Tuson

Jorden,

I bind on my overlay strands with artificial sinew. Once I've tidied up the heel ends, I then wrap the silicone tape around the heel to create the foundation. By stretching the tape slightly as I wrap, it creates a very tight bulge as it tries to 'relax', locking itself to the handle. Three or four tightening turns of the heel knot pulls the cord tight and the 'tackiness' of the tape stops any movement. Add wax and you've got a solid heel knot.

As to the possibility that it's an uneven heating, all the whips I've waxed I've made sure to turn over in the pan halfway through.

Return to “Private whip swap area”