One on one Swap: For James

Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Craig, as you know, I'm not a maker - but I imagine that greater skill in using would inevitably lead to greater skill in making.
'Less is often more!'
Johnny Pell

Post by Johnny Pell »

Well said Mr Robert.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Mr. Robert you just put the clear crack on that throw.

Knowing how to crack well leads to knowing how to better feel what the whip is doing right and wrong.

A person can muscle any whip into submission, but you shouldn't have to.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jesse Bessette

Post by Jesse Bessette »

I've found that knowing how to make them has helped in my cracking and vice versa. The reason I say that knowing the building process helps us that it lets you see the way the Whip wants to move, rather than just guessing. You see where the belly and spine are and how to use that. On the other side, knowing how to crack them helps in making a whip because you know what a whip needs to do, and you are able to adjust your technique to accomodate. That's been my experience, and I hope it helps.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
-Mark Twain
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ron May wrote:A person can muscle any whip into submission, but you shouldn't have to.
Exactly, Ron! :)
'Less is often more!'
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

After much more practice with Roger's whip I've been able to do the figure eight quite consistently. I've also discovered that I can do an underhand flick straight into a coachman's. I tried to make a video, but couldn't perform in front of the camera. I'll try again later.

For some reason, I'm still having trouble doing the horizontal crack. I think it's because I'm more used to heavier whips.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

I was going ask how the whip is breaking in. I'm glad to hear you're getting used to it. Any further performance pointers? Is there much sideways 'flop' or does she roll out pretty straight?
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

There is still a noticeable right hand pull, but it's manageable. I did manage to rip off the tip of the fall yesterday, but that's because Arizona is just so rough.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I did a roll out test and now it seems to roll perfectly straight on both sides. Maybe the right hand pull is just me.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Craig Frank wrote: Maybe the right hand pull is just me.
Craig, Robby noticed that I was sometimes turning my wrist (unconsciously) while performing a crack. This (narurtally) caused the whip to twist slightly. (I still have to remind myself that, whatever the whip does, I've told it to do that!)
'Less is often more!'

Return to “Private whip swap area”