The 10/10 Challenge

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Nice and smooth, well done!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Geoffrey Tucker

Post by Geoffrey Tucker »

Thanks Scott...
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

That's looking very good there Geoff. Nice and smooth action coupled with a lovely whip (Jessie, that thong rolls out beautiful) and it all comes together.
Geoffrey Tucker

Thanks Sir Roger...
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Your entire session looks very, very good Geoffrey - thumbs up!

All the best
Ben
Geoffrey Tucker

Thanks Ben. I'm trying really hard. I still see things that I want to improve upon. I want to be more precise in regards to whip location at the apex of drawing the whip back. Sometimes I am closer to my head, sometimes I am a touch farther away. Poor upswing mechanics has a definite detrimental effect on downswing and control. I'm not pleased with myself at this moment. Got some work to do. Planning on addressing this in my practice sessions today.
Geoffrey Tucker

For lack of better words, I want to glide along the clock face rather wobble across it :)
Geoffrey Tucker

I have developed a little training idea to help dial that in. If it helps I will share it here. I'm about to go find out :)
Geoffrey Tucker

And it helps. The key is standing far enough back to see what you want to look at. Plus you don't break your wife's mirror and get the doghouse for an evening, or two :)

Not an original idea I'm certain, but it was to me anyway. I used it for a bit and positioned my body to “paint" the right edge of the mirror. I noticed where my incosistancy was creeping in and focused on learning some muscle memory. When you glide the clock face, it definitely has a distinct feel to it. Now, consistency and reproducing it like a great golf swing lies ahead. Here's a photo with help from my son. Lol

[img]http://i.imgur.com/D3XGthS.jpg[/IM[/img]
Geoffrey Tucker

Plus, you get to see the true starting position of your whip from a real time frontal view...
Geoffrey Tucker

My biggest problem, and maybe this will help another new person down the road, was thinking the whip was where I wanted it when I started, in all actuality however, it was out of line a bit. Yes, it still cracked repetitively, but something just wasn't feeling right. In upswing, the incorrect path of my starting point was trying to torque my hand to adhere to how I was actually aligning it. Forearm strength and the assistance of motion helped me recover each time but it didn't feel right.

Like Robby teaches, a whip only does what you instruct it to, and the outcome is either desired or not.

So, maybe that will help someone. I personally gleaned more from watching me and n real time than from a video. Sometimes we record ourselves at slightly off angles that hide a few shortcomings. Thanks.
Geoffrey Tucker

Day 7 went well. I had a great time. I got in five 15 min sessions with breaks in between. I still enjoy using the mirror. I'm going to incorporate it where applicable through the 10 techniques.

All in all it was a wonderful day.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Geoff, a good practice day makes it all worth while.
Keep up the good progress.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Geoffrey Tucker

Thanks Ron.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Aww that lil peanut will help a lot too.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Geoffrey Tucker

He tries...
Geoffrey Tucker

Day 8: Circus Crack

Practice sessions this morning went well.
Hoping to get get in a few more rounds later this afternoon.
Geoffrey Tucker

Day 9: Circus Crack

Got in several sessions before some nasty weather pounded the place. I hope I can get day 10 video in tomorrow. We have a few days of storms forecasted for here. I will do my best.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

If it rains you out you can always use the "stick of death".
It does work well for indoor practice.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

I approve of you training in front of a mirror, Geoffrey, either with a whip or the stick of death. I encourage it for my kickboxing students for when they practice at home. It can really help you see all the little movements your body makes that you need to control

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”