The 10/10 Challenge

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Was she on a ladder?
I loved that high angle point of view.

It won't be much longer for the upload to finish.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Here it is.
The last 3 or so cracks are a little different sounding because the cracker had come off some time.
I'm surprised it cracked at all.

https://youtu.be/eDdDvCmCfkI

Ron
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

3/10- not enough data to post video. I wish... Anyway.
Jessie I hope you feel better soon
Inch by inch.

Post by Guest »

Ron, may I ask what whip you are using? It looks so... "well behaved"?
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Alexander, it's my second whip I made with the advise and help from the great people here on WB. Rachel so graciously named it "Blue Lightning".
And thank you. :)

Here's the build thread.
viewtopic.php?id=4222

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Jessie, I know you're 'not into it' just now, but what strikes me about this video is the amount of unnecessary movement in both your shoulder and elbow. You're flopping about. I don't remember you doing that in Munich; but then I don't remember watching you cracking left-handed.... One of the things that so impresses me about Robby's cracking is his complete absence of any extraneous movement. He's economical in the extreme.
'Less is often more!'

Post by Guest »

Ron, thanks for the link to your thread! Now I learnt (and have found) that there are pattern generators.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Alexander, here's a link to the pattern generator.

http://whipinfo.com/fancy/

Ron

Post by Guest »

Ron May wrote:Alexander, here's a link to the pattern generator.

http://whipinfo.com/fancy/

Ron
Thanks, Ron. I already played around with it. I'm not sure if I will use it yet.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

OKay, I was thinking about this last night and I want to share a couple of thoughts.

1. I am going to make video time on the first day of the 10 and on the 8th day of 10 instead of every day. That way, we see where we need to practice, get feedback from the others, practice every day, and on the 8th day another video showing how we improved. By posting the improvement video on day 8, if we are still having problems, we still have 2 days for feedback and practice. Also, on day 8 we can see if you have been practicing and actually visually see in comparison to the first video, how much improvement has been made. I think if we did this like I would do a weight loss blog. Take a picture, and then 2 months later, take another. If you take pictures daily or weigh yourself daily, you aren't going to see dramatic results and want to quit. I wonder if the 10/10 challenge is going to be similar if we don't tailor it to our needs a bit.
You still should check in here every day to tell us how it went or to answer any questions the others might have.

2. Ron and Alexander, use your PM for plaiting talk, or go to the thread.

3. Robert, you're right, Robby also makes it very plain in the videos to only do the crack 'without' any floofy shit. No posing, no extra movement, no excess force. Yesterday was just a bad day for me. I honestly had the attitude of just doing-it-and-get-it-done. I didn't look up, my face was all contorted, I was slouching, bleh. Scratch that video.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Jessie, Yes Ma'am. :)

I am having serious internet speed problems today so your plan looks good.
I will practice this evening when the temperature is down to 95f.

Getting feed back from seasoned practitioners is important.
Perhaps Mr. Robert, or Robby or anyone else who knows could chime in on the videos and do a critique ?

Thanks Jessie. :)

Ron
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I feel better and I have noticed a huge difference in just being able to swing the whip. It's raining like mad out there, but I like practicing in the rain. You get that cool "poof" at the end of the crack when the fall is all wet.
~Management
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

I finaly managed to upload the video of day one from the 10/10 challenge :)

Since I've never posted a video in my life I'm not shure if I should be posting the "IMG" or the "Direct" link so I'm posting both links just to be on the safe site !!!

http://vid1098.photobucket.com/albums/g ... e2jyfm.mp4

I know that I'm using to much force on these cracks (especialy after watching the video myself) and I've been working on it ever since !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, the top link is better to watch than the bottom one.
It looks pretty good to me.
I too use too much muscle instead of letting the energy of the thong doing the work.

I am also guilty of doing the cracks in too rapid succession and not taking time in between.

Thank you for sharing and participating in this very interesting project.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

That looks pretty good, Ben. However, if you think of Robby's 'clock face', your clock face isn't quite 'square': as you bring the whip back after each crack, it goes slightly behind you. Ideally, it should go straight back - otherwise, when you start to speed up, you may hit yourself on the head!
'Less is often more!'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Ron !!!

Bad habbits are very hard to get rid of (for me that's muscleing the whip and starring on the ground) but I'm progressing (at least I think so) and this challenge is a very effective way of improovement on whipcracking in general (constant practice).

I'll keep in mind to pause in between the cracks - thank you very much for reminding me Ron :) !!!

All the best
Ben
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank you very much for your advise Robert - especialy beacuse your advise will lower the risk of hitting myself with the whip :) !!!

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, one more thing....... eye protection is a must.

Ron
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Yes. Especially, Ben, if you ever use one of my wire crackers. Robby had one on one of his whips and, though very slight, I managed a tiny cut on my nose. Just a couple inches higher, and it would have been my eye. I enjoy my eyes. They are one of my features I like. I want to keep them a couple more years. You have pretty eyes too. Keep them safe.
~Management
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Ron !!!

This has been one of the few times when I had forgotten my eyeprotection (you'll see it in the other videos)

By the way: what is the meaning of Bueller ?

All the best
Ben

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”