This is the Gallery of "Gator Whips" - Roy Partin

This new Gallery replaces the former "Masters Gallery", which will work from now on as pure archive. Here you will find not only the work and art from folks who sell whips, but also from folks, who create their whips out of pure passion. And we have an additional gallery. It is called "The Gallery - Making of".
Robby Amper

This is the Gallery of "Gator Whips" - Roy Partin

Post by Robby Amper »

This is the Gallery of Roy Partin.

www.Gator-Whips.com

And his "making of" gallery is right there: viewtopic.php?id=6308

In the section: viewtopic.php?id=5466
you will find a documentary on his work.
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Ok folks nothing special here but I just put the handles on this pair of 12 footers. One black and one white in 16 plait. These will be going to a ranch in Florida along with a pair of 14 footers that I will start tonight.

He died for me, I'll live for him
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Roy, super clean great work! They are both classy, but that grain in the black whip's handle is fantastic!
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roy, two obvious masterpieces here! I agree with Rachel about the grain in the black whip's handle.

Are you asked for a lot of 14-footers? Does the extra length have an advantage when used on horseback?
'Less is often more!'

Post by Guest »

Great Work Roy! Thanks for sharing this with us.
jose
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

I appreciate it Rachel, Mr Robert, and Jose. It was difficult to turn loose of that particular handle, as I wanted to keep it for myself. Mr Robert, the 14's are not too common, but any extra reach from horseback can be beneficial. 12 is the favored length and 8 is the absolute minimum
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Roy, fantastic whips . Love the handle on the darker one.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Nothing special? The white one looks awesome to me! It adds a unique look to it that the thong is white and the binding on the handle is black. You're an artist, Roy. Not less.

And thank you that you bring our new gallery to life!

Robby
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Roy. I can see that a long thong used on horseback makes a lot of sense.
'Less is often more!'

Post by Guest »

Exactly what is the name of the planet where this is "nothing special"? Come on!

Okay, they're not flashy and full of details, but not everything has to be. You make tools for the working man after all. I've mentioned this before, but you do understand that this stuff is super exotic to most of us, right? When I mention knowing a cowboy in Texas who makes whips for cowboys to use as tools for actual, real life cowboy stuff, I usually have to explain I'm not kidding.

- Pokkis

Post by Guest »

Nothing special just a pair of 12 footers xD Oh Roy you crack me up.

Very well balanced looking handles and a couple of clean looking, beautiful meaty whips!
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Beautiful whips, very elegant, I like your work Roy. :) :)

All the best
Mario
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thank you all so much. Sometimes I feel like I am stuck in the rut of making the same type of whips over and over again, therefore these two feel like nothing special. Hopefully I can break away soon and build another one of a kind.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Roy. I've looked at I can't even guess how many pictures of cow whips, just the cow whips, there are none like yours. Your handles and plaiting have a completely different look than anyone's. Nobody makes a whip just the way you do. It is art.
Inch by inch.
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

All of your whips are so elegant, Roy. These two are beautiful and the handle on the black one is really nice.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roy Partin wrote: Hopefully I can break away soon and build another one of a kind.
By all means, branch out if you want to, Roy - but Rachel (and the others) are right: what you do, you do supremely well. Please don't stop doing that! :)
'Less is often more!'
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Roy,
these two are functional beauties. You have your own signature style of craftsmanship.
Very tidy work that has character and style. The handles are beautiful and every so often a special piece of wood comes along that shows off the whip that little bit more, ....
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

Nothing wrong with a simple design. Function over fashion, after all. But these still look great. Most of my early whips were single-color, because I didn't see the need for more than that.

In the end, it all depends on what you want.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

At the end of the day, I think I'll always prefer a single colour. It's somehow just more 'workmanlike'.
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

There are folks who do a lot of things. And nothing in perfection. And there are folks who concentrate and focus on just a few things. They will never reach total perfection, but they are darn close to it. The others can only see a shimmer of light at the horizon. You, Roy, are so close to perfection in your way that you need to cover your eyes, because you are very, very close to that light. You can show me a whip, made from 10 different colors, with stones and jewelry integrated in the handle, covered with snake skin and blessed by the pope himself. I will prefer the simple made whip. Well balanced and representing excellent workmanship and passion. When I have a whip in my hand for the first time, I let it tell me it's story. Some whips have nothing to say. Others talk and talk. A few whips just say: "Hi. My maker did his best to create me. Come on, show me what I can do!"

Those are the ones I love.

Robby

Return to “Makers and Masters (+++public thread+++)”