Roger Tuson

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Sir Roger Tuson

Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Finally, here are a couple of pictures from my whip swap build.

After my recent month-long hiatus from the forum and pretty much everything else to be honest, I got to work on the swap whip. It's a 6.5ft Bullwhip, twisted taper core, 10.5" handle, 8 and 12-plait bellies and a 16-plait overlay in black and coyote brown.

All started well...

The handle:

Note scoring on shaft to aid grip on the cords of the 'handle belly into twisted taper core':

Short transition binding over the tip of the handle and first section of core. This is then plaited over with the first 8-plait belly:

First belly binding:

Second belly binding (and this is where it all starts to go wrong :( ):

So, there I am, thinking, "Yup, that's enough binding - it's really stiff at the transition, the progression of the curve is good, let's start the overlay."

Now, I'm definitely no expert whipmaker but I have made a couple of half-decent ones and I genuinely thought I'd done a good second belly binding. But I forgot MY OWN RULE ON BINDING! "If you think you've done enough binding, do a bit more because you probably haven't"

Last night I finished the overlay. I'm sure a couple of you will sympathise with what I ended up with...

As it happens the binding around the actual transition is very stiff and I'm more than happy with it. It's the 'wet noodleyness' of the thong from about 2" after the transition that made my heart sink.

Although the rest of the thong is fine, tight plaiting, good seam and a nice six-point tip, I cannot in all conscience let this go out in this condition so I will have to take the overlay right back and add further binding.

With deadline approaching very fast, it's going to go right to the wire on this one! Still, focusses the mind if nothing else. :O
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roger, heartiest congratulations on having the courage to see what's needed - and do it! I'm sure the result will be well worth the time and effort....
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

That's what a dedicated whip maker does.
Kudos for taking the high road and making the best whip you can.
Both you and the recipient will happier.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Roger that's so hard to redo, it looks so nice, too... But hang in there!!!
Inch by inch.
Chris Castle

Post by Chris Castle »

Coming along nicely - btw I love the puffy white clouds!

-C
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

I feel your pain my friend, and can only second what the others already said.
Kudos for taking the path of pain, it's a bit heart breaking now but it'll be all the more rewarding in the end.
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Nice taper by the way
Sir Roger Tuson

@Craig - Thanks. They're my wife Kat's idea. She painted them all over the walls and ceiling, laving one area 'blank' for a dragon she's been planning for years.

Well, here's the re-bound thong:

Before plaiting...

And after... (sorry for the angle, couldn't fit it all in properly)

Much happier with it now. Have done the transition knot but had a bit of a 'mare with the heel knot, losing my foundation! :O

I've rebuilt the foundation but will have to leave the final knot until Tuesday.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Roger that looks mucho betters.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Looking great!!!! Well done, Roger!
Inch by inch.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Looking Good!
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Now that, Roger, looks like a really serious whip! Heartiest congratulations for having the courage to re-do it!
'Less is often more!'
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

TA-DAAAAAAA!!
Now there's a transition for you.
Good stuff, it was worth the effort.
Sir Roger Tuson

Damn right! When you realise you have to go back and redo a huge section of work your heart kinda sinks but when you've done it and got back to where you were, seeing the improvement definitely makes it worth the effort. I haven't had an opportunity to test crack it yet (the weather's been awful) but tomorrow I'll get that heel knot sorted, test cracks done and (assuming all is good, which it should be), in the post and off to it's recipient. Talk about right down to the wire... :o

Do you know, I've been so wrapped up in making this whip, I forgot that someone's making one for me! Excited :D
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

It does look way better now. I've started to notice on some of mine that they have a good transition at first, but then wimp out after use. I'm not sure if it's a problem with not enough plaits or if my anchor at the handle tip starts to loosen up.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Sir Roger Tuson

At last, finished.

Detail...

The heel knot didn't quite come out as intended but it's actually quite comfortable.

Right, off to the Post Office!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ah, that sense of achievement once it's in the post! :)

Looks good, Roger! I hope the recipient might post a short video showing how it handles....
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Now that is cool, Roger!!! The new owner has got to be pleased :)
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

The handle pattern is pretty. And, I love a comfortable heel knot.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Sir Roger Tuson

Thanks Jessie, it's a 4-strand U4O4 - the first time I've managed to do it properly (now I understand handle diameter and required number of strands) and am really pleased with how it turned out. No gaps, tight plaiting and the thong s the straightest plaiting I've ever done.

Oh, and it's a six point end after Mr Robert suggested I carry more weight down towards the end.

Rachel, the colors are black and Coyote.

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”