Craig Frank

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Craig, that looks really, really nice! If only it had hot pink..
NO! Just kidding ;). It really does look very nice!
Inch by inch.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Guess that means I should do the next one in Muddy Girl.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Post by Guest »

Jessie, if your husband were on fire, you would let him use your scissors? Like, that's how you would react? Just asking :P

Craig, that doesn't look half as bad as you think. Of course there's room for improvement, there always will be. And gotta agree with Robert, what really matters is how it behaves.

Straight seams, nice knots, and I like the colors. I'd say good work :)

- Pokkis
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Craig, that is too funny!
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Craig, that's nice! :)

Any chance of a video, or at least a description, of how it behaves 'in flight'?
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

What!? I never would say Meh to a whip! Meh is for mashed potatoes and unsweetened applesauce, cats, Ford pickup trucks, and an 8-count box of crayons...whips are hard and so much work. Never, ever a meh. Unless its MY whip, then there might be a meh...but its a strong, solid meh. A meh with FEELING. A passionate meh. A meh you could stand behind...

Here is what I like: I love the handle. The pattern is really busy and intricate. Your knots are perfect looking. You have lovely earthy colors--very Jess (Pig-in-the-mud) Edwards friendly colors. Your plaiting looks nice and straight. What is Meh about that? Give it a few swings and roll it some more if you think you might like to. There is nothing wrong with that thing. Nothing at all.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Oh, Pokkis...yes. IF he managed to be on fire, I would let him use my scissors for a minute, but only if it would somehow save him. If not he's shit out of luck. I will miss you my darling.
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Robert - I might make one later today. When I tried it out it was working great, at first. Then it started acting mehish. I don't know if it is just getting broken in or if I started doing it wrong. I'll try it again later to see if it was just bad wrist action on my part.

Post by Guest »

Wow you have one ready already! I really like the colors too and it looks fine altogether.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Here's the video of the wasp swat whip with the few cracks that I can do. Volley is still giving me challenges. It cracked a lot easier after I settled down and grabbed the heel knot better.

Since this counts as video evidence I was sure to wear the right safety gear. This is the only wide brimmed hat that I own. It's not exactly made for desert wear. Oh well, Oktoberfest starts soon.

https://youtu.be/RX9yDQtsKYY
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Not bad at all! That's a nice coachman's crack you've got....

Your volley would be easier if you didn't try so hard! Try letting the whip do the work, without 'muscling' it so much, and see if that helps. But it looks like a very respectable whip! :)
'Less is often more!'
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

Very nice and smooth. Gotta ask, what is that green stuff you are standing on and what are the white things in the sky?
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Hey, it took me two years to get that grass to grow. Those are clouds. This is the high desert at the tail end of the monsoon season.
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

Ahhhh...I have heard of such phenomenon. I vaguely remember them too...pre california
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Heh, I don't do the hat. I always knock it off my head anyway. I do kind of enjoy my eyes though, so I have my sunglasses. Maybe when it gets cooler I will enjoy the safe veil of flannel over my lovely arms.
~Management
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Craig, I wanted to tell you that Robby has a little excerpt on his youtube that kind of covers the circus crack. In your video you seem to be letting the whip handle go a bit farther back over your shoulder than you should before you bring it all forward again, thus, it looks like you really have to throw the whip hard to get the crack you want. Go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWZkeGKToUo and notice the clock face analogy. It's really good and helpful in learning where your whip should be when you learn. And relax!!! You look so serious!! This is fun! :)
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Jessie - I won't argue with you on that. I have trouble finding the sweet spot.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Heh, I hear you. I'm still learning too. 12 o'clock is the sweet spot!! From there, be like Peter Pan, find your happy place and and let your whip fly. Also, sometimes I close my eyes. If I just stop focusing so hard and just let it do its own thing, it works. The Victorian cutback is my latest endeavor. I have it down and then all of a sudden...I don't. Then Emma will demand my attention and tell me to look at her mid-crack and bam. There it is. That just proves that when I am having a hard time, I am trying too hard.
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I have a short break today between popcorn sales and figured I'd finally get to work on the snake whip for my matched set. I'm going to try making it a four footer. I'm working on shot loading the core. Filling a 550 cord core is a serious pain. I've seen people use their fingernails or a pen. Here's my method.
https://youtu.be/okMi_p04yN0

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”