Craig Frank

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Craig Frank

Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I want to start by saying that I feel horribly outclassed here. :(

My plan is to make a matched pair of whips. One will be a 6' bullwhip and the other will be a 3' snake whip. That way the recipient will have a smaller backup when he or she decides to carry them as weapons (just kidding, Herr Amper).

The colors may not be exactly the same, but they will compliment each other. I'm going to go with more subdued colors this time. Possibly camouflaged. Since I already have a core that I made last week, I'm going to use it, after I strengthen up the transition some more. I really will try to do the best that I possibly can, given my current skills and knowledge. The last one I made came out fairly good after I had re-calculated all of the lengths. I think for this one I'm going to go with a 14 plait overlay instead of 12 to allow for a thicker transition and hopefully reduce stretching. Since I'm taking 10 days off from work starting Friday, I will try to get them both done and shipped within the next two weeks. Unless they turn out unacceptable.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Looking forward to seeing your work.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Post by Guest »

Everyone else is nervous too, and possibly more than you think :)

Doing your best is all that is asked and you might be surprised to see what you can do. I'm looking forward to seeing these.

- Pokkis

Post by Guest »

That's nice of you to make a pair of whips!

The whip swap is for fun and learning, not a competition, but yes, we're all a little nervous :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Craig - you say "I want to start by saying that I feel horribly outclassed here" - let me assure you: You are not! It is not about making the 1st price in a competition. It's about the joy of creating something and to share it with others. And as long as you do your very best, you are a winner!

Robby

p.s.
What do you mean? Kidding? Is there another use for whips than as weapons? Nooo.
For a second I thought... :)
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you, everyone. I know it's not a competition, but at the same time I don't want the recipient to feel cheated.
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

I understand your trepidation Craig, I feel it too. But, as Robby and Pokkis have said, its not a competition, its sharing our time and skill level with friends. Cant be a loser in that scenario. Im gonna just do everything to my best, and hope its something worthy of at least a wall hanging. The pressure is all self induced, neccessary but probably not to the degree we are imposing. Have fun, worst that can happen is we are ridiculed, kicked out of WB and mocked. But I hear one can claim to be blind and start a business selling crap online...so theres that. :)
Now, wheres my etape? Oh, yeah...there it is
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Hahahaha Taylor, you got one great sense of humor!!!

Craig. You do your best and that's giving it your all, and from personal experience on this forum, this is the nicest, most truly honest gathering I've found. No competition, only self-induced pressure which makes us strive harder each whip we make. Makes us all winners. You will do great, no worries!

Now I've got to go be paranoid on my plaiting some more.....
:D
Inch by inch.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

And I have to look for my baseball bat before I go to Taylor's office...

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

Can't wait to start seeing some pictures of your build. I too feel nervous, but I am accepting it as a phenomenal learning experience. I have no one that I have found to use as a yard stick for where I am in terms of quality. So I am excited to have someone critique my work and then to experience someone else's work, someone who regardless of experience has at least put some effort and heart into building a whip...

All I can give is my best shot, it will be all I would ask for in return
Lasse Carenvall

Post by Lasse Carenvall »

Craig Frank wrote:I want to start by saying that I feel horribly outclassed here.
I know what you mean, Craig, but I would like to give a slightly different perspective on it. The amount of knowledge, skill and talent presented here on WB is simply staggering. There are more than a few times I feel actually a bit intimidated by it.

However, the reason there is so much, so openly presented, is the climate, the sharing of ideas, knowledge, tips, questions – without judging.

So, if I only look at those who have more knowledge than me in certain areas (there are plenty of those) it is very easy to feel intimidated. On the other hand there are areas where I, in turn, have more knowledge – or simply have spent more time making a lot of mistakes and trying to learn from them.

Also; never ever underestimate the importance of asking questions!

As Robby points out, it is an exchange. In the long run, I like to think it is all balanced out pretty well. ;)
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you, everyone. After reading a few pointers, I added a little more sinew to the core and then rewrapped again in hockey tape. Working on the first belly, now.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

First belly.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Hey, hey! That's exciting!!! Looking good!
Inch by inch.
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

Mmmmmmm....Pringles...

Post by Guest »

Nice :)

Extra bonus for the Fiskars scissors ;)

- Pokkis
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

And if you look closely you can see part of our collection of Nürnberg Lebkuchen tins.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Second sinew wrap and hockey tape wrap complete. I'm getting a pretty stiff transition, but I also have an ugly lump. I'm going to try to hide it under the transition knot.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Question. Because of my thicker transition, would it be ok to have my second belly as ten plait instead of eight? I already plan on having the overlay be 14 instead of 12.

Post by Guest »

Well, the "golden ratio" of diameters and plait counts is to add four strands for every layer. For example the basic recipe for a bullwhip with two bellies is 8-, 12- and 16-plait on top of each other. But these are just rough numbers and depend a lot on everything so take them as guidelines instead of strict rules.

The most optimal plait is one that has no gaps and is at a 45 degree angle. Making that depends a lot on the foundation, so it's best to decide on the plait counts when you know what you're plaiting over. It's best to let the whip tell you if your plait count is too much, not enough or just fine. Gaps in the plaiting mean too low plait count, and strands bunching on top of each other when you pull them at a 45 degree angle means too high plait count.

- Pokkis

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”