Craig Frank

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I went with five strands. I know it breaks the rule of twos, but it does look pretty good. Thanks for the info.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Second belly done. I still have to wrap it in sinew and hockey tape again and then it's on to the overlay.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

[quote="Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen"]The most optimal plait is one that has no gaps and is at a 45 degree angle. Making that depends a lot on the foundation, so it's best to decide on the plait counts when you know what you're plaiting over. It's best to let the whip tell you if your plait count is too much, not enough or just fine. Gaps in the plaiting mean too low plait count, and strands bunching on top of each other when you pull them at a 45 degree angle means too high plait count.[/quote]

Pokkis, that's about the neatest summary of good plaiting practice I think I've seen!

But 'Fiskars scissors'? They just look, to me, like the scissors found in most British kitchens - or am I missing something? :)

Craig, it's coming on well. As to the lump, I think - as a general rule when making almost anything - it's good to make a virtue of 'whatever happens' - unless, of course, it's so awkward that one wants to undo everything and start again. I certainly don't think that's necessary here....
'Less is often more!'
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Yes, they are Fiskars. Swiped them from my wife's sewing kit.

Thank you, Robert. I don't like the lump, but the increased binding is worth it, I guess. I think I'll do a double transition knot with a wire collar to help cover it.

Post by Guest »

Progress :)

From what I can see in the photo, the binding is doing what it's supposed to be doing. Having a bulge over the transition area is pretty much unavoidable and isn't actually a bad look after all when there's a transition knot separating it from the handle. Even the original Indy whip has that sort of shape , just for other reasons.

Robert, Fiskars is a Finnish company whose most iconic product is those scissors. They're pretty damn good scissors too :)

- Pokkis
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I think I have an axe sharpener made by them as well. They also own a knife company, but I can't remember which one.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

[quote="Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen"] Robert, Fiskars is a Finnish company whose most iconic product is those scissors. They're pretty damn good scissors too! [/quote]

They are indeed. That, no doubt, is why they're so standard here.... :)
'Less is often more!'

Post by Guest »

Craig, at least the Marines use Fiskars E-tools, and as far as I know you might have those in the Army too. Really handy little things and can take unbelievable amounts of violence and abuse. Sharpened the edge on mine with an angle grinder, and since then it has been my best friend whenever I had to dig anything in ground that has tree roots in it.

- Pokkis

Post by Guest »

Oh, and Fiskars owns Gerber nowadays.

- Pokkis
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

That was it. Gerber.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

As you've no doubt found out, lumps at the transition are a pain and sometimes unavoidable. It can be helped with cutting the tip of your handle to accommodate the core attachment. Another suggestion here is you are using hockey tape at a bolster. Don't cover the bump! A bolster is supposed to fill in gaps and helps define the shape of a whip. Bind tightly with sinew also to stiffen the transition.

Overall looking pretty good.

Fiskars makes some pretty good scissors and shears. Personally though I bought a pair of Wiss industrial shears model 29. 9' and as sharp as can be. They cut through leather like butter. For other whipmaking tasks I have a small pair of Fiskars 3' sewing scissors. Almost as sharp and hard to lose. That bright orange sticks out!
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you, Jeff, but I'll have to do that next time. Here's the last sinew wrap and the start of the overlay. I'm going to put on two transition knots and a collar to help cover the bulge.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Wahoo!! Is that... Camo????!! Wow that's looking good!!! That's going to be really nice!
Inch by inch.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Yes. Black and multi-can. Here's the finished overlay. The plastic dip for the heel knot foundation has to dry over night and then I'll do the three knots. It seems to crack really easy.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Craig, I love the colours!

It looks as if the thong tapers quite suddenly about a quarter of the way from the handle, but that may just be the photo - and it may not matter. That old saying, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' applies here: if the taper feels smooth in use, then - you've got it!

I'm keen to see the finished product - and to hear how you think it behaves! :)
'Less is often more!'
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Robert - unfortunately, it does because that's where the first belly and most of the sinew wraps end. It it's noticeable visually, but I don't notice any detriment in use. However, that could be because I've never used a really good whip; just my own.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Craig, your whip looks very nice...thing is, if you touched my scissors from my sewing kit I would kill you. You never touch a woman's scissors if you value any part of yourself. What in the hell are you thinking??? I can only assume your wife adores you. I'm not sure my love for my husband is as strong to even fathom sharing scissors. Maybe if he was dying or on fire or something...I might consider...
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Yaaaahhh...only one problem with that. I'm the only one in this family that sews.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I hate knots. Two down, one to go.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Finished. To quote Jessie and Gorilla, the best word to describe it is "meh".

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”