Most recent

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Ian Moore

Post by Ian Moore »

Really like that rust one. It's funny just how much some of the paracord colors could *almost* pass for leather.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

You're right Ian. I have to try that one day.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Ian, thank you very much! You are right about some particular ones of the paracord colors.
Inch by inch.
Efren de Gala

Post by Efren de Gala »

What a neat lil' specialized tool! I've actually been meaning to ask you about the measurements of the handle cup. When I went on the Florida dreams site you mentioned elsewhere a lot of the cups were shallow bowls, and it was interesting to see how that has changed to nowadays. Can you just drill straight down with a forstner bit (those terrify me) or does it look really different in cross section? Is there a wall thickness minimum, so to speak? I know that would change a bit with different woods. Also, how did you like the pear wood? I've only used it as veneer.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Rachel, thanks very much for those videos. Great! And I too like the deep cup on that little handle....
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thank you very much Mr. Robert!

Efren, this link should answer most of your questions viewtopic.php?id=3655

The cup is a cone shape, so to the end the minimum I kind of try for wall thickness is no less than 1/8" on very clear very hard and fine grained wood, a bit more for softer stuff- such as the pear. I like the grain and color of the pear but it is a softer wood and I'd be careful using it on a longer handle- also be sure to seal it well as it is prone to rot, Roy has mentioned many fruit woods needed a coat of poly for that reason.
I'm certainly no expert, but anything at all I can help with I'd be glad to!
Inch by inch.
Efren de Gala

Post by Efren de Gala »

Can't access that link quite yet ;) but you have been so helpful as always. Fruit woods were used for violin scrolls sometimes in ye olden days but not as much anymore.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Efren, that pear is pretty and it's a little soft compared to the other woods I've been using. That's really interesting about it used to be used for scrolls on violins!

Here's a whip I put a twisted tapered fall on and waxed for my brother in law. It swivels on the handle, and has a cable in it. We were just extending its life.

And here's the newest, 16 plait two belly rust 7 ft exactly. My math finally is working. I think it needs more binding, just a bit.
That Goncalo Alves sure is a beautiful wood.
Inch by inch.
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

Those look pretty good! I like the second one best, I think.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thanks David, I made the second one, but not the first :). It's made by a fellow from LA
Inch by inch.
Efren de Gala

Post by Efren de Gala »

Yay Maths! Also, very lovely work.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thanks, Efren! It definitely has taken me long enough to get the math worked out... :D
Inch by inch.
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

That's a sweet looking whip, I really like the rust coloured cord too.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Rachel, you seem to improve whip by whip! Beautiful plaiting, and a very professional-looking handle!

I'd love to try the other one, though. I've never used a swivel-handled whip, and have always wondered what it would be like in action.
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thanks Fritz, I like the rust too!
Mr. Robert, thank you very much!
Yes the swivel one is different, Lonnie says it does crack better with horizontal and opposite horizontal versus forward, with not forcing it. It's completely different feeling, that's for sure!
Inch by inch.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I remember the day when you joined the community. A nice and friendly girl. A mom to great sons. And somehow interested in whips. Now look at you. The same woman, but right on the way to become a great and recognized whip maker. That is what I call a success story. Congratulations, Rachel. That last one is impressive. You know why? Because it's not impressive at all. Everything is right in place. The handle, the connection, the taper... Everything looks exactly the way it should. So it is an impressive piece of workmanship. But not spectacular. And when quality work becomes "standard" - it becomes art.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thank you, Robby! For the opportunity to learn! If it wasn't for you, and all the hard work you've done, our successes with learning about whips wouldn't happen.
Quality as standard, and to keep learning and improving, that's exactly what I aspire to :)
I thank you, Sir!
Inch by inch.
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

Rachel certainly has come into full bloom, that's certain. Steady improvement is what every maker should strive for, and she's among the few makers I've seen accomplish it. Almost everyone has peaks and valleys.

So...yes. Success, victory, accomplishment, and all that goes with them.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Thank you David. It wouldn't be happening without your help, too!
Inch by inch.
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

I'm not sure I remember how I've helped, but I'm glad I have!

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”