Jeff Roseborough

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Beautiful indeed! There's something almost magical about the patina of leather - something that nylon, even with wax, never quite achieves.
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Great work, Jeff. To hear that it's balanced right now makes me even more curious on the result.
And thanks for keeping us updated.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Jeff - I can see that your whip is coming along great. Even though I have absolutely no idea how to make a leather whip, the craftsmanship you exhibit is still obvious.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Paul Slater

Post by Paul Slater »

Jeff I am currently reading Ron Edwards book and I can only dream at the moment that I will be able to work with leather the way other do.
Superb skills you have.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I will have to put it aside for a few days as I will be out of town for a funeral. If I have the time I will probably get the overlay cut out today. I need to plan that out carefully as my hide is getting smaller and smaller with each cut. It is possible to plan for strands drops, but once you are out of hide that is it...

I also need to make sure I leave enough leather for the knots. I can take that from the center of the hide if necessary.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Jeff Roseborough

Well, more progress with the Whip Swap Whip. I got the overlay cut out last week and prepped. I started plaiting over the weekend and finished the overlay last night. This morning I got a fall cut out and am ready to tie it on. I will then need to roll it and build the knot foundations and tie the knots. Finally a coat of shellac to make it shine.

I have a bit of dilemma as I am out of light tan leather for the knots, so I will have to use a darker color. This also means no wrist strap either, but that is okay because the person getting this whip has said in the past they do not prefer wrist straps. I hope to get this shipped out within the week, at least before Thanksgiving.

I will not be posting pictures as I want the final product to be a surprise, well, maybe the shipping box.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

This is a terrible way to make even those curious who weren't until now.
Okay. Now I am officially curious.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

That sounds like a beauty, now everyone is anxious!
Inch by inch.

Post by Guest »

Wrist straps need a hug. Nobody seems to like them. No, I don't either.

Jeff, don't listen to Robby, the man is talking nonsense. This is not a terrible way to make everyone curious -- this is an awesome way :)

Got all my excitement out of the way during the name drawing, you can actually hear me wince in agony on the video when Jeff's name came out and it was time to see who's the lucky one. Not saying that I'm the least bit disappointed in what I got, far from it, but all you who are still waiting for your whips probably know what I mean.

- Pokkis
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

"wrist straps need a hug"

*snort*
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Going by the workmanship from you so far, I'm very curious as to what the whip will look like.
Your leatherwork has been going from strength to strength.
This is exciting.
Jeff Roseborough

Yeah! I finally got the turks heads right. I had previously cut lace from a 7' circle about 5.5mm wide. After stretching and prepping it took it down to 5mm. I had tried different knots and interweaves but nothing was turning out right. Finally I took the lace width down a smidgen and ran the strand through my splitter to about 2/3rds thickness. That did the trick! A 6x7 two pass fit perfectly. I also did the transition knot the same, but used a narrower strand. The thinner leather was key, as the knot now lays flatter and doesn't look so bulky.

For this whip I was going for the bulky look. Strands are slightly raised even though I beveled the edges. I think to preserve the rugged look I will not shellac this whip. The stuff wears off eventually anyway. Just give it a good coat of dressing. I took it out for a few test cracks and it handles pretty good (in my opinion). I can't wait to see how it performs in the hands of whomever gets it.

Since the others are so anxious to get their hands on this whip I better get it out the door soon!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Wow Jeff that is SUPER EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction, and I know the new owner will appreciate the care, whoever that lucky person is!
Inch by inch.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Yeah, it would be nice to have the recipient make a video of it to see this whip fly.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jeff Roseborough

Wow, I just checked tracking for my Swap Whip and it is now within a day's delivery. That means it could be in the recipients hands within the day or two. Sometimes the Postal Service actually works. Now if I only could get that First Class letter across town in less than a week I would be happy!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Wahoo, Congratulations Jeff and the new recipient!!! Very exciting!

I share your frustration with local mail..
Inch by inch.
Chris Castle

Post by Chris Castle »

Jeff, I'm really excited to see your work - the knots! oh the knots! I feel like I need a support group for the knots. As if cutting lace for the thong wasn't trying enough. USPS you say? hmmmmm....here's to hoping!
-C
Jeff Roseborough

Chris Castle wrote:Jeff, I'm really excited to see your work - the knots! oh the knots! I feel like I need a support group for the knots. As if cutting lace for the thong wasn't trying enough. USPS you say? hmmmmm....here's to hoping!
-C

I have found Bernie"s knot formula to pretty helpful when it comes to Turks Head Knots. I also start wide and narrow it down and retie if necessary, which happens to be quite often. I have even gone as far as re-doing the foundation in order to get a "perfect" knot.

In this case I had to re-do the foundation once, trim the width a few times, and even tried different types of knots. I finally ran the lace through my splitter and that did the trick. It lay down nice and flat in a 2 pass knot.
Chris Castle

Post by Chris Castle »

Thanks Jeff - I will re-watch that vid and try out the formula. I think I will make a few practice foundations to practice on...not having done them very frequently, I find myself having to re-learn each time....
Jeff Roseborough

Well, After a long journey AROUND the world the whip swap whip has finally returned to its maker. As most have already figured out it was going to Germany and Robby. I know it went around the world as I tracked the package to San Francisco and then Germany. On it's return trip it came through New York City and then Reno, NV. The box was a bit flattened and there are a few signs of rubbing. The whip does show a tendency to curve because it was coiled inside the box for almost 2 months. Good advice when storing whips - very loosely coiled or even hanging by the handle.

I will be sending it back on its merry way no sooner than Tuesday. It is the weekend and Monday is a holiday here so the post office will be closed. I need to run down there and get a new box and appropriate forms/plastic envelopes for customs declarations. I will be sure to label this as a theater prop with no "real" value and Free Shipping!!!

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”