Jeff Roseborough

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Jeff Roseborough

Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

As promised here are some pics. I actually started this whip before I knew who would be getting it.

The handle after tapering the end. 7.5 inches chrome steel rod.

Handle with core and wear leather attached. 22" long.

Kangaroo hide before trimming:

And after:

First belly cut out, stretched, and beveled. I started at the lower left leg and went up around the neck and back to the right leg

First belly after plaiting. It is a 4plait starting at the butt of the handle, plaited about 3ft. The remaining strands will be divided and tapered to form the core for the 2nd belly.

My next step is to cut out and split a bolster. It will be cowhide and will cover the plaited part of the first belly.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Post by Guest »

Nice :)

I've been expecting for a leather whip build thread for a while now, so thanks for making one.

- Pokkis
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Yet alone the first pictures and description tells me that there will be some lucky, lucky guy to own that whip! Thank you for the detailled info.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Jeff thank you for pictures! That is beautiful, beautiful... Some lucky guy is right, Robby. Wow. How cool... One day I'm going to get some leather and try it out.
Inch by inch.

Post by Guest »

So you're sure that the lucky one will be a guy? It could be any of us. Of course it's more likely that the recipient will be a guy because statistics, but isn't it a bit too early to call something like that?

;)

- Pokkis
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Well yes, true, and my husband would say the word 'guy' is heresy south of the Mason Dixon Line anyway... :D
Inch by inch.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Ah... Nitpickers! Okay - a lucky, lucky person. Lucky person. Happy now? :)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Oh this is really cool. I actually wondered how you made the big long plaits. I didn't realize that kangaroo can stretch straight like cowhide. I'm definitely going to play the whip swap next time. I was too self conscious that I was unable to make a nice enough whip this time around. You guys are really great motivators :)
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Jeff Roseborough

Jessica M. Edwards wrote:Oh this is really cool. I actually wondered how you made the big long plaits. I didn't realize that kangaroo can stretch straight like cowhide. I'm definitely going to play the whip swap next time. I was too self conscious that I was unable to make a nice enough whip this time around. You guys are really great motivators :)
Kangaroo hides are actually small. Most I get are around 65DM or about 3ftx3ft. Obviously you can'[t cut a 9 foot strand in a straight line from them. Instead you cut strands in an oval shape. Strands start together and end differently. The inside strands are further "inside" the hide. Imagine a track and a 4000M race. Not all the racers start on the same line. They are staggered, and all end at the same spot.

For this belly I cut out 4 tapered strands. I dip them in cold water and then stretch them out. I actually gained about 8 inches in length.

I asked Paul Nolan once about making long whips (16-20ft). Obviously there isn't enough leather in 1 hide for 12 strands 30 ft long. You have to use 3-4 hides, cutting 3-4 strands from each. It also helps to plan for strand drops and cut strands short. This leaves more leather for longer strands.

I've made cowhide whips. Other than being thicker leather, it was easier cutting out a set. Along one side and across the end and back. None of this going in circles. Kangaroo is much stronger and thinner so I can cut thinner strands. Makes for nicer whips
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I wonder...I wonder how something like an elk or moose hide would be for whip leather. As far as size goes, you can get some massively long strands out of them. I actually have an elk hide, but it has the fur still on...removing that is not a chore I even want to tackle. Yucky, yucky mess.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Coyote hide, maybe?
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

Drool....
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

Awesome

Post by Guest »

Robby Amper wrote:Ah... Nitpickers! Okay - a lucky, lucky person. Lucky person. Happy now? :)
Happy now. I'm glad we got that important detail straight :)

- Pokkis
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

I would like to echo the sentiment of political correctness. One luck person right there
Jeff Roseborough

For all those (and Robby) who are curious about my next step in making the Whip Swap Whip here is another picture!

Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Too cool! I really like the balance of blue and brown there, it looks so natural!
Fun, Jeff!!!
Inch by inch.
Jeff Roseborough

As promised more Kangaroo! This is the second belly. As the whip is getting close to the target thickness of 25mm at the handle I will probably skip a second bolster. The hide I am working with is pretty thick already. The strands have been stretched, sized, and beveled. I need to let them soak in some leather conditioner a bit; this is a pretty dry skin and as part of the stretching process I get the strands wet with cold water.

Jeff Roseborough

Finally got the second belly plaited and rolled. This whip is thick enough already and the leather I am using is about 1.5mm thick that I won't need a second bolster. When it is finished the handle should be around 25mm thick at the handle. Already the handle is hefty enough to balance out the eventual whip.

Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Oh wow Jeff, that's beautiful- that's just really beautiful. I love to see how that's coming together!!! One day I will get brave enough to try leather. This is really cool!
Inch by inch.

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”