As the title says...

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Mel Layzell

Post by Mel Layzell »

;) 2 very nice bits of work Skip ;)

Tony
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

The whips are really great. And you took the wrong account, again :)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Essentia Whips

Post by Essentia Whips »

Robby wrote:The whips are really great. And you took the wrong account, again :)

Robby
;) Bugger off ;)

I blame Holger, I don't get all this technical stuff at the best of times :o

Tony
Jim

Post by Jim »

Those look great Robby. It still amazes me that Skip can make latigo look like that :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Yeah, he's doing really a great job. But speaking about good jobs...
Why don't you post some pictures of your own whips? The whips you braided?
I think, all the folks here are glad to see some new stuff. So - post them! :)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thanx for the kind words Jim. :-)

Robbys right we would like to see some of your work here.

skip
Jim

Post by Jim »

Everyone has probably seen these before, but I'll go ahead and post them. I haven't made any whips in awhile now. My son bought a house before Christmas and I have been redoing the kitchen ever since. I'm almost done though :o

This is a whip that I made quite a while ago. The guy that ordered it was a working cowboy in south Texas. He had worn out his last kangaroo bullwhip and wanted a replacement. He ordered a 10" handle, 8ft whip in natural kangaroo. He also wanted the fall to be only 20". I never did know why he wanted a 20" fall on an 8ft whip. The way he cracked from horseback maybe?

The last couple I have made:

Skip

Post by Skip »

Holy S#*T! I hope your son’s kitchen is coming out that good. :lol:

skip
Essentia Whips

Post by Essentia Whips »

Skip wrote:Holy S#*T! I hope your son’s kitchen is coming out that good. :lol:

skip
LOL....he's getting there huh Skip :P now you know why I gave him the telling off over on the other thread, he is a LOT better than some professional whipmakers and underates himself :)

Tony
Skip

Post by Skip »

Getting there? looks like he's been there and back again. :)

Jim your a fine whip maker and much better that a lot of the stuff I've seen out there... Hell your better than I am. :o
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks guys ;)

Let's just say the kitchen is looking a hellava lot better than it did :)

No Skip, not better than you by a long shot. I'm still learning all the time and as I've said you make the best latigo whips I've ever seen. And I loved the "Holy S#*T!" comment - now THAT was a compliment. I wish everyone said that when they first saw one of my whips LOL.

Tony, you just keep chewing my a$$ anytime you think I need it to get me back on track !!! :P

Jim
Kris

Post by Kris »

Skip wrote:Hey guys

My first chose is the bullwhip (no surprise there.;)) I haven’t used to many snake whips hell I don’t even have one. I know I’m a very poor whip enthusiast to not to have a snake.

Tony is right any material will make a fine whip if made well. I think the important thing is for some one to find the material, Nylon Roo or Cow that works best for them in the conditions they’re in.

And Tony I’ve been thinking about one of your nylon whips you may be hearing from me soon….:D

Here’s a question about the snake whip… I’ve heard (and I don’t know if it’s true or not) That a snake whip was developed in Australia because blackjacks were illegal so the snake whip was made flexible with a heavy lead knot on the end and used as a blackjack. They called them pocket snakes or city whips. Does anyone know if this is true? Or just a myth?
I also heard/read this...It was on an Australian whip makers site I think and recently I have bought a nylon snake from DT King at coyote whips and when you look at the way he constructs then plaits the handle/butt end and the way it is weighted, the literature does seem to have some substance as it appears very much like a purpose built cosh/blackjack, it is also my 1st real whip and i was told by both Tony Layzell and Dave Branch that they have a tendency to be very lively as they are short,. My testament to that is a very minor flesh wound on my bicep and a very sore and ringing ear when I was breaking it in and caught 2 cracks upon my person, not nice but a good lesson learned I should think....
Jim

Post by Jim »

Oh go ahead and buy another whip jayw13th, your fiancee won't mind ;) Congrats on the upcoming wedding !!
Essentia Whips

Post by Essentia Whips »

Is it just me or are we being invaded by guys from Texas :o :o

You should get some whip cracking meetings going down there Jim ;)

Tony
Skip

Post by Skip »

jayw13th wrote:I could definitely use the support. Me and my fiancee usually just go in the back yard. But i am always afraid someone will call the cops.

The invasion has begun. ;)
I had one of my neighbors call the cops on me. :( He thought I was shooting a gun in my yard. After about an hour he came wandering over to see why the shooting didn’t stop and saw me and two State police cracking the whips. The officers had a good time learning to crack a whip, and always stop and say hello now when they see me around town.
A couple of days after that I brought a couple of beers over to my neighbor, and over the beer we decided that as long as I didn’t crack the whips in the early morning and wake his wife all would be fine. :) :) :)
Jim

Post by Jim »

I made my grandson a cowhide whip last summer (he helped me cut it out :) ). He gave up trying to crack it here after hitting himself so many times but kept at it once he got home and can get a crack out of it now. But it has gotten him and my daughter in trouble at least three time with the law. They live in student housing at a univesity and the campus cops were called on my grandson and son-in-law cracking the whip in their yard. Next, my daughter took him to a park, and once again park rangers showed up and told her she had to quit cracking it. I can't remember the details on the third time. Jeez, give me a break!!! ;)

Here is a picture of it, a little 5ft bullwhip.

Last edited by Jim on Wed 18. Feb 2009, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
racerx

Post by racerx »

Sweet looking whip Jim, looks fast.

ATB

Jim J.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks guys, it was fun building it with him :)

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”