Arizona whips

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Craig Frank

Arizona whips

Post by Craig Frank »

Here's a picture my whips that I still have in my house. I've given away five others and the red and white one is being given away tomorrow.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

I wish I had that many. Here, lately, motivation hasn't been easily achieved. Plus, I get distracted a lot.

Congratulations on building a collection!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Very nice! I like the mix of patterns, well done!
Inch by inch.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

David,
I only manage to make so many because I can do it at the breakfast nook table while watching TV. Plus I keep making more because I still don't think that I've gotten it right. I originally only intended to make one, but said to myself "I can do better than that". Each one I make I knitpick the crap out of it and move on to the next one.

After this one I'm going to have to slow down so that I can start studying for my next IT cert. Plus I haven't been keeping up with my triathlon training.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you, Rachel.

Post by Guest »

Craig Frank wrote:...I keep making more because I still don't think that I've gotten it right. I originally only intended to make one, but said to myself "I can do better than that". Each one I make I knitpick the crap out of it and move on to the next one.
That, sir, is how it happens. Welcome to your latest addiction ;)

A nice personal collection you got there. Hold on to those, it's good to look back every now and then.

- Pokkis
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

Very nice in deed!!!

I am very keen to hear what you are using as a knot foundation. I have been experimenting with Pratleys Putty because of the ability to mold it into any shape you wish. My first whip I put the putty on over the plaiting which resulted in a loose heel know. Whip number two I attached it directly to the handle rod. worked out much better.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Donovan,
I'm still using Nick's method of tape, leather, small brads/nails to hold it down, more tape, and then on the heel knot, plastic dip.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Here are pics of four of the five that I don't have anymore. The fifth, I forgot to take a picture of.
Grant Weaver

Post by Grant Weaver »

I really like all of your whips, excellent work! You'll find you can learn so much from chatting with the good folks on WB.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thanks!
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Just finished whip number 14. It was my experimental whip with mostly scraps. However, in the end I completed the overlay to match the rope used in my Wood Badge patrol's neckerchief woggle.

I put a ton of sinew and extra umpf in the wrap of the transition. I also completely changed all of the lengths on all three layers to try to get the taper to be more even.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

That's a nice looking whip :) looks like you have a nice seam line! I've GOT to make one in more than one color... That's cool right there, Craig!
Inch by inch.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you. I'm always changing color patterns. I haven't made any two whips with the same colors.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I like how there is that solid "stripe" of blue that just draws your eye down the line of the whip. There is really no margin for error with that kind of thing going on and it seems you did really well keeping that line straight. I have enough paracord left for one more try on a whip and I am scared I'm going to waste it on another failure. I need to really glean energies from you guys and go for it. I think you did a nice job, Craig. Have you had a chance to try it out? I think, my favorite part of the process is letting the whip loose, even if it only reacts well for a little while, its kind of exciting.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Of course. I always take them for a spin right after I attach the cracker. So far it is great, although I'm starting to realize that all of my whips start out great and then the transition starts to get floppy. Hopefully this one won't.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Jessica - keep trying. Whips number 5, 6, and 7 for me came out really bad as I started developing bad habits. But then they started getting better so that my current ones, although still not as good as I'd like, are still way better then the first few.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Sweet collection.
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

Good stuff Craig. One of best lessons I have learned here is when you think you have enough sinew on, you dont, do another pass.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Very nice collection Craig. Number 14 looks more tight and straight than your previous whips. That improvement from one whip to the next is what we all strive for. Well done
He died for me, I'll live for him

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”