THE LOTTERY - Donation Campaign 2015!

Our Donation Campaign for a Dog Shelter. Again...!
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

I think that's absolutely a great way to allocate the money, Robby. An adult dog's life is as valuable as a puppy, and they shouldn't be pushed aside and forgotten.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

A puppy is a puppy, no matter the age. My Noodle is 10 and much adored at Chez Edwards. I am more than happy to see a grown up dog fixed up and adopted too. :)
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management

Post by Guest »

Robby Amper wrote:... But one saved life is worth more than all whips in the world.
Robby
True Words Robby!

Jose
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

That's great, Robby! And there's a hidden benefit: a veterinary surgeon I know tells me how treating animals can advance research for treating humans. Lots of surgical techniques were first developed with animals. That doesn't mean animals were used for 'experiments' in some cold-hearted way; it means that learning to save an animal gives new insights into how to save people! So this is doubly great news: everybody wins! First of all the dog, and later on, perhaps, people with ear problems! (As one of those, this makes me very happy.)
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Ooooh Robert! I never thought of that. That is really, really cool!

I grew up in a place that animals were just that. Animals. You didn't put money into them, they weren't pets, they were working animals or tools. Let me be clear. They had a warm place to sleep and plenty of food, like any farm animal, but if they were sick or if they were not able to do their job, they simply were put down. This is how it was, still is, back in the old neighborhood, like it or not.

This being said, I struggle with paying for massive surgeries for animals. I struggle, not because I think it's stupid or anything. I struggle, because it was unheard of in my part of the world. Dogs were on a chain. They helped hunt/worked the farm and then they got a good meal, a pat on the head and went back on the chain; however, thinking about this surgery as being a gateway to help other humans makes it really special to me. It's really cool. It makes sense over and above taking care of forgotten souls, which I also support to a degree. What I despise is abuse. No earthly creature should suffer at the hands of an asshole. Lighting animals on fire, starving them, working them until they collapse, shooting at them. THAT is what I despise. These animals will do anything for you, no matter how ugly or nasty or mean you are. They deserve that measure of respect and kindness. I HATE abuse. I just fucking hate it--excuse my language, but I do. As a hunter, I teach safety, and the importance of no waste, to be sure your shot does not cause undo suffering if you can absolutely help it and to be grateful for that animal for feeding and clothing you. Respect.

As for my own mind being changed over the years...My Noodle (black lab/German shorthair). was hit by a car when he was 6 months old. The socket of his hip is cracked and he has pretty substantial arthritis. He would have been killed the day he was hit if he belonged to anyone else. He is now 10, my best boy. I adore him and am guilty of going against everything I was raised with and feeding him nettles and pain medication when his rheumatism acts up. Yes, I could have forked over 7K and had a massive surgery for him, but I did not because there is no way I could have. Would he be more comfortable with no hip joint? No leg at all? Maybe? It seems that one pain would simply be replaced with another in his case. But, when he gets to suffering to much, I see it as a kindness to let him go home. A luxury we humans don't get. When that day comes I'll cry like a big fat baby and hold his paw and pet his big old softy ears until its over and then cry some more and that will be that. He was loved as best as I could love him. I think that's pretty much what any of us can do for anyone else on this planet human or animal. Sometimes our best may be substandard or, on the other hand, overkill to someone else's best, but we, as individuals, parents, friends, humans, pet owners, own it and will answer for it eventually.

Long story short, I'm glad I was able to be a small part of this. It's very cool and a new experience in humanity for me. I will be glad to do it again.
~Management
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

That is why I like you. You do what you feel is right. And not what some stupid people told you in the past. And "excuse my language"...? Here you are entitled to say what ever you like. And when you fuckin hate it - you fuckin hate it. Period. I know how very critical and problematic your financial situation is. But you still donated! That is great! It is never about how much one donated. It is about that he donated! You are good, Jesse.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I like you too Robby McHottypants. You are a great soul.
~Management
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

If only the rest of the world were as self-aware and as ready to care about what they're doing as you are, Jessica. Most are too busy texting to worry about what kind of damage they've caused. Most are never even aware that they've hurt anyone at all.

And...that tendency of humans to regard animals as just tools: They do that to each other, too. I've met people so oblivious that they seem to think even their friends and family are just hollow illusions put here to amuse and provide for them. Not people: Resources. Governments are really great at that.

I'm not saying every person has to be Mother Theresa. Just to care -even a tiny little bit- about where you are, what you're doing, and the effect it may have...just that negligible amount of effort is what I'm asking for. And, for many, it's way too much to bother with.

No wonder I'm misanthropic.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

I grew up around livestock, dairy cows mainly. I agree - and what you say is very true, Jessica. Someone who will mistreat any animal is capable of mistreating any being.
When I was young we had about 35 head of dairy cows. We knew each one of their names, some of them belonged to us kids. We knew their pedigrees and got to pick the daddy of the next generation from the select sires catalog. Our household was noisy and boisterous, but when you got near the cows or walked into the barn you better not hollar. You lose your temper you better take a walk. You EVER hit a cow you wouldn't be doing it again.
While I agree and practice myself that there are different training techniques and levels of intensity you must use for certain situations, it never is acceptable to abuse the animal. It just ruins what you're trying to accomplish, anyway.

I truly despise anyone who will leave something innocent and unable to feed itself to starve.
Jessica, I mirror your feelings, including the f-bomb which I know is putting it mildly. There's no word strong enough to describe that. How would those abusers like to go without food? Get beat and chained? Selfishness.
What animals deserve is respectful and responsible owners. If I have respect for something or someone it means I will care about it or them.

Thanks Robby for having this idea, organizing and orchastrating it!!!! You give us all the opportunity to participate in something great to make a difference.
Good going for the pup (whatever the age!) and here's wishing that doggy a speedy recovery and happy life.

And, Kudos to Jessica on that Stud Muffin license plate! That was one of the funniest things I've seen this year.
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

My parents were the type that would put you in the situation to illistrate what an animal is feeling. While they were "disposable" there was a certain respect owed them. We had a pony when I was little, about 10, that we would put on a stake chain in the yard to eat grass and get attention. He would eat and we would brush him and braid his tail, etc. One day, I decided it was cool to make him run in circles on the chain, smacking him in the butt every time he went around to keep him going. My mom caught me, snapped that chain to my belt loop and did the same to me. It only took 1 round and 1 smack in the rear end to realize this was horrible. I never did it again. Another time I forgot to feed the dogs and spent the next day with no meals. It only took 1 time and I immediately knew better. Sometimes the best lesson learned it the one where you are walking in the shoes of the being that is being offended, even if the individual never wears shoes.
~Management
David Cross

Post by David Cross »

Let the punishment fit the crime, I say.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Putting oneself in the place of the other person seems to me the bedrock foundation of courtesy and kindness.
'Less is often more!'

Return to “Let's save a few lives... (+++ public thread +++)”