Devin Bauer

Archive
Robby Amper

Devin Bauer

Post by Robby Amper »

This is the Gallery of Devin Bauer.

www.woodywhips.com

In the section: Whip Basics - The Video Reviews -
you will find a documentary on his work.

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Thank you very much Robby.

Here are my two favorite whips I have created to date,

7 foot Cup-style in Wenge and Darkbrown w/ a pair of black for the Whip exchange.
and of course, the Amper Special for the review in Black and Desert Ironwood,

As well as my favorite part of the medium, the transformation of the material.
The Desert Ironwood is the chunk of wood on the left side. The right is cocobolo.
Last edited by Devin Bauer on Tue 26. Aug 2014, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Such beautiful work Devin. Congratulations on your own gallery. I look forward to seeing all your beautiful work.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

For me, that is some serious eye candy right there. Beautiful work Devin, keep it coming
He died for me, I'll live for him
Einar Stephenson

Post by Einar Stephenson »

Beauteyfull handle I realy like the grain.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Great pictures, Devin! I think the Desert Ironwood is magnificent!
'Less is often more!'
John M. Jackson-Tree

Post by John M. Jackson-Tree »

not only great whip work but wow great wood work and bring out the grain and the colours of the wood as well.. only makes me tink how well that would crack in my hand if I had one :)
Carl Feairs

Post by Carl Feairs »

The wood is so beautiful that it is hard for me to take a critical look at the thong, but when I did I was impressed as well.
Jared Routon

Post by Jared Routon »

That's beautiful work Devin. I really love the rust color in a whip. It looks like it's more natural than any other color.
Enoch Compagnoni

Post by Enoch Compagnoni »

I know they use Cocobolo for handguns grips, but that handle is awsome.
It was very interesting to learn the Desert Ironwood is so heavy that sinks in the water.
Great works Devin

Enoch
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Thanks everyone!

The Desert Ironwood is a fantastic wood to work with, but unfortunately pricey because of the small range of the wood and high demand, not to mention the tree doesn't produce much timber.

Jared,the rust is pretty good for mimicking worn leather, but I still find Dark brown to be my favorite for how it wears.

Enoch, there are actually quite a few woods that will sink in water. Many species are borderline and will depend on the exact specimen. Some pieces of cocobolo for example, will readily sink in water. Other woods that sink in water are Lignum Vitae, Leadwood, African Blackwood, Kingwood, Verawood, Quebracho (meaning Axe Breaker, and also the wood which the tannins for Veg-Tanned leather are primarily derived, along with Oak, Chesnut and a few others), Black Ironwood, Itin, and the list goes on and on.
Adam Hinmon

Post by Adam Hinmon »

Beautiful whips and handles! Also great to learn these interesting facts about different types of wood :)
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Awesome whips Devin- a great marriage of woodworking and whip making :)
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Thank you Adam and Tyler.

Tyler, I think you'll have a fun time pairing the two in the near future.
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

I love whips with wooden handles and Devin makes a great job, I could do some test cracks with Robbys "Amper Specials".
You can crack these whips very easy and relaxed.
And I love this simple and elegant style ;)

Mario
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Devin, what grit of paper do you finish those beautiful handles? I'm not nearly as talented as you in making that wood shine. It's something I haven't studied much on.
Joe Wilson

Post by Joe Wilson »

Such amazing work! One day I hope my whips look as beautiful as yours Devin.

Joe W.
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Roy I use 60-150-320 grit sandpapers then abrasive mirlon pads at 320-1500-2500 grit. It is probably needlessly high for anything but the hardest of woods, but I do it all the same. I then load a small square of an old cotton t-shirt with some of the Kirk's Polishing Wax and rub it in semi-randomly across every surface of handle. That usually seals the grain and takes care of some of the smaller scratches that get missed. To finish I like clear shellac (NOT dewaxed) since it is a repairable finish, and the solvent is just alcohol, so it will not hurt you if you get some on your hands, and it is easy to strip should you screw something up, it is also a renewable resource and dries quite quickly though you will want to get it fully harden after the coatings are all done of course. Oh, because the solvent is alcohol it will lift some surface oils from oily woods and you'll see it on the rag/paper towel/etc, and a paper towel works well as an applicator as it leaves a dimpled surface finish that grips a little better than a smooth finish. Shellac is not as durable as polyurethane but I think the pros outweigh the cons for me. The shellac will be very shiny after application and it can be knocked down with a buffing from a rough cloth or very high grit pad/steel wool. Do not use a buffing wheel on shellac, it will overheat and gum the finish into a black glob that is a nightmare to remove...

Thank you very much Joe, from what I have seen your work looks really good as well.
Last edited by Devin Bauer on Thu 11. Sep 2014, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks for all that explanation Devin. All that should certainly lead to a wonderful finish. I've had several complaints about handles being too slick for work use. These were all cowboys with sweaty hands. I'm now stopping at 600 grit and then melting the beeswax in with a heat gun. It has a slightly tacky grip now. So far this is working for me although it doesn't leave quite as beatiful finish as yours
Joe Wilson

Post by Joe Wilson »

Devin,

Thank you so much for the very kind words. :)

Joe W.

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”