Roy Partin

Archive
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

I can imagine Robert. They certainly do look very functional
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Donovan, the single greatest thing (for me) is the way Roy carries so much weight right down the thong. This makes the whip feel very 'alive'. You just sort of point it and wait - and then, Bam!
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

What amazes me is this... A handle. A thong. A fall. A cracker. That's it. And then there are soooo many variations. Every craftsman finds his own way to create these tools. Gives each whip he/she creates a spirit of its own. Maybe soul, I don't know. But this is the difference between someone who makes whips and a craftsman. A lot of folks are able to braid some strands (wrap them in electrical tape...) and call it a whip. Real craftsmen do not only braid. They create! To quote Bobbi: "It makes a noise. Must be a whip".

Roy is one of these craftsmen. Each one of his whips carries his "print". Not visible. But you can feel it when you have it in your hand. Those cheap whips are not more than what they're made of. A well made whip is a piece of art. And it is more than the sum of it's parts. Much more.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, you're so right about this! :)
'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Donovan, Mr Robert and Robby I'm very thankful for the kind words. Donovan I still learn from each whip I make as they are never good enough for me. I'm always thinking about little changes that can improve the next whip. This is what keeps me going.
He died for me, I'll live for him
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roy Partin wrote:I still learn from each whip I make as they are never good enough for me. I'm always thinking about little changes that can improve the next whip. This is what keeps me going.
Roy, that is precisely what they are so good! :)
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Robert - spot on!

Robby
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

Roy I appreciate simplicity and earthy colours, something that'll work a hard days works and the grime doesn't look out of place. There are many whips I have seen that are pretty but a day on the farm they'll look dirty and used.

I once work in a wildlife reserve when we got a visit from one of South Africa's leading butterfly experts, the man had published a few books and field guides on butterflies. One of the rangers on hearing he was visiting rushed out to buy his field guide. When the expert visited the ranger proudly presented him with the field guide and asked if the author would sign it. To the rangers horror the author signed

Dear John (I can't recall the rangers name)

You obviously don't appreciate my work very much, these books were designed to assist you with identifying butterflies in the field. This one has very obviously never done a single days work. I hoped to see these pages dog eared the next time we meet.

If I ever purchased one of these whips I promise it will be well used if we ever did meet.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Haha that's good stuff. I agree, for me its a tool to be used not looked at. I'm sure many whip enthusiasts would be horrified at the appearance of my whips as they are stained from grass, dirt, mud and cow crap.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roy Partin wrote:I'm sure many whip enthusiasts would be horrified at the appearance of my whips as they are stained from grass, dirt, mud and cow crap.
That will just make them look real! :)
'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

My supplier was out of the rust colored cord so they sent me this dark acid brown instead. I wasn't sure at first but it turned out with the nice rich and rustic color that I like. This is also the first time I've used artificial sinew for my cracker material and I was also pleasantly surprised. It sheds the dew much better than the Spider Wire fishing line I normally use and it doesn't tangle either.

ImageImage
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

That is a great color, Roy! Sometimes "accidents" produce the best results, right? That whip has a more than mean look with that acid brown!

Robby
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks Robby, you are exactly right! Those little things we think are problems turn out to be big successes in life. I think there may be a future combination of the rust and this brown.
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Thats a good looking whip!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Another great whip, Roy! I really like the colour! :)
'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thank you kindly Bobbi and Mr Robert.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

it's good when colours you don't expect to go together actually do. Nice one Roy.

Post by Guest »

That's actually a better color for a cowboy tool than rust. Very nice!

And artificial sinew does make really good crackers. You just need to know what you have, since the stuff comes in different materials. Some tangle, some make exploding crackers, and some are pure awesome.

- Pokkis
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Great whip and I like the color combination the wooden handle with the dark acid brown thong, good job Roy. ;)

Best wishes,
Mario
Lasse Carenvall

Post by Lasse Carenvall »

Roy Partin wrote:Donovan, Mr Robert and Robby I'm very thankful for the kind words. Donovan I still learn from each whip I make as they are never good enough for me. I'm always thinking about little changes that can improve the next whip. This is what keeps me going.
And this is also a (the?) reason you chose this craft, I guess!
I have seen that the craftspeople who rise to high levels of excellenceseem to have one thing in common: They think just like that. They want to improve, and to Always have room for improvement.

To be able to do something you love and enjoy, and even if you do it untill you´re 110 years old, there will still be things to learn - how cool is that?

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”