Roy Partin

Archive
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roy Partin wrote: The accuracy is pleasing me.
I knew it, Roy! I just knew it! :)
'Less is often more!'
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

That looks awesome Roy! I'd forgotten that you use alligator tooth inlay on the handle, and I have to say you did the spiral burning perfect on the handle!
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Appreciate it Tyler. Its good to have you back!
He died for me, I'll live for him
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

It's good to be back! :)
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

I love the organic wood handle and the tooth! I have been toying with the idea of an orgnaic-type handle myself, but not entirely sure what I want to do yet. Maybe I should work on getting my plaiting right before I start worrying about making new bits. It's so beautiful. I just love it.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thank you Jessica. I say try it and let the plaiting mature with practice. Its never too soon to explore new ideas
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Fantastic and Amazing work Roy!!!
You did, like always, a grat whip i love also the work on the handle in reptile style.
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

The owner of a livestock market ordered this latest whip. He uses a long handled whip to move the cattle around the sale ring. He was tired of the cheap store bought buggy whips falling apart. This is what I came up with. The handle is 4 feet long with a 5/16" fiberglass core capped with a 357mag case, 8 plait in gold cord, two pass 7X6 heel knot transitioning into grapevine and ending in a ring knot all in brown cord. The 8 plait 3 feet shot loaded gold thong is fastened to the handle with a stockwhip keeper. It ends in 4 plait fall hitch. This is my first attempt at a heel knot. Its not great but I am happy with how it turned out. I want to give a shout out to Rhett for his tutorial on building the foundation with catfish string and Elmer's glue. Its a rock solid foundation.

ImageImageImage
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Now that's true craftsmanship right there Sir. Beautifully put together, Roy. It is truly original, you made it well. Very well done.
Inch by inch.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Oh that's pretty neat! What did you use to make the springy part? We had carriage whips when I was a kid, but we never used them for anything. I always wondered if they were ever meant to crack or just there to touch the animal with to guide them?
~Management
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

And, the 357 mag is the coolest...not that I am partial to using that kind of thing. Heh...for an idea, should you ever do that again, pop out the primer and replace it with a rhinestone. The rhinestone will seat right down in that little pocket and it looks really nice and clean and cool.
~Management
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

It's beautiful Roy, but then you don't do ugly

Post by Guest »

That's pretty cool, it's refreshing to see something out of the ordinary like this :)

How does it crack?

- Pokkis

Post by Guest »

Nice design! I'm happy you've gotten into turk's heads ; )
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

I really appreciate the kind feedback Rachel, Jessica, Donovan, Pokkis, and Erik. Jessica I am not sure what you mean about the "springy part". No springs involved on this one. Your idea of replacing the primer with a rhinestone is cool. Next time I will bedazzle it. Pokkis it cracks very fast but this sort of whip was mainly used for getting an animals attention and not so much for making noise. Erik my original plan was to epoxy a wooden knob on the end but I figured this would be a good candidate for my first knot. The new owner is a local cattleman so I will be able to check on the whip to make sure the knot is holding up. Taylor's tutorial on making a 7X6 really helped me out with this.
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Wow, this is a great design for a whip, excellent job Roy.
I like the idea with the 357.mag case, this is so cool. :D :D

All the best,
Mario
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

That is a very special one, Roy. The length of the handle, the use of grapevine hitches, the connection between the handle and the thong. It's all very good looking. I presume the handle is a very light weighted one. Otherwise the leverage on the wrist would be very strong and it would hurt soon. Is it possible to see a video on how it is working? You don't fail to surprise us all every now and then, Roy!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks a bunch Mario and Robby! Robby, yes the weight is very user friendly. I did want the thong to be at least four feet for the ease of cracking but the man insisted on 3 feet maximum. Here is a quick clip of a few cracks I just took on my phone.

http://youtu.be/uNtBnRrt9ck

Post by Guest »

Looks effortless enough with the 3' thong too, I guess the long and flexible handle makes a lot of difference.

Oh, and about that heel knot. If that really is your first attempt, please pat yourself on the back immediately. That stuff is more difficult than it seems and you did a great job at it.

- Pokkis
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Ah, that looks good! The handle stores the energy and gives it into the thong with a flick. Very well made, Sir. One more thing - your video of the "Striker" whip. I know - I already said this before, but seeing it again showed me how much you improved. I posted a comment on YouTube - i's this:

I really like your style, Roy. Very relaxed, very easy. No force here. You tell the whip what to do and it does. And the whip itself looks very good to me, too. It rolls out and down the thong in a fluid, consistent motion. Very well made. And thank you for sharing the video!

Robby Amper
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”