Roy Partin

Archive
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

That is to cool! Roy, can you adjust the temperature on you burner or is it always the same?
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks Tyler, my burner is just an el cheapo from hobby lobby. The temperature isn't adjustable.
He died for me, I'll live for him
Adam Hinmon

Post by Adam Hinmon »

That tooth is great!
Enoch Compagnoni

Post by Enoch Compagnoni »

Wonderful whip Roy!
I am sure that beauty will catch lots of attention ;)

Enoch
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks Adam and Enoch.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Hi Roy,
Welcome aboard!!!
Your whips are very fine and elegants.
I like so much the "good luck and happiness" style.
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

I appreciate that Giovanni, Its great to be here
Derek Pulsifer

Post by Derek Pulsifer »

Really cool Roy, that whip really embodies a Gator! I draw as well as make whips and it's a fact that wood burning like that takes skill! Holding a pencil steady is one thing, holding a 950 degree soldering iron is another.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Great looking whip Roy!!!
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

When Robby made his review of a 10’ cow whip by Roy Partin, he said (knowing something of my tastes) it made him think of me. He was right! This whip somehow suits me better than almost any I've ever known – and I've known a fair number.

I've never handled a cow whip before, and only one stockwhip. I'm not used to a 16 inch handle, and didn’t quite know what to expect. This handle is made of bois d’arch – Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage orange – a wood I’d never even heard of until Roy posted photos of whip handles made from old fence posts. The wood is quite heavy, and extremely hard. The shape of the handle means there’s slightly more weight towards the thong. It fits my hand wonderfully well, and doesn't feel a bit too long.

When I first picked this whip up, I sensed at once that handle and thong are one. They look separate; they don’t feel separate. The thong is fairly heavy – certainly heavier than I’d expected, which is great! It’s 24 mm wide where it leaves the handle, and 6 mm wide at the fall hitch. The taper is absolutely even; the weight seems very smoothly distributed right down the length. The fall is 22.5 inches, and Roy’s cracker is 8.5 inches – so, while it's called a 10-footer, the total reach is about 12 feet. The thong is ‘gold’; the waxing darkened it quite a bit. It’s hard to describe the colour: it reminds me of a faded, dusty old Jeep!

At the first throw, I knew this was a winner! There’s a sense that energy travels from one’s hand straight down to the cracker in one smooth roll, increasing in power all the way. You don’t so much ‘crack’ this whip as just aim it, and wait. At the end of the wait – POW! The weight of the whip does all the work. I think it’s the easiest whip to throw I've ever known, and immensely satisfying. (Total weight: 1 lb 8.5 oz. or 725 g.)

This is not a fast whip. There are things I can do with Devin’s Amper Special (which I also love!) that I can’t begin to do with Roy’s. (Perhaps I’m just not strong enough any more.) I think it’ll be quite good for target work, but it’s too soon to say. This whip is simply what it is: a working tool for the working cowboy. I can’t imagine someone moving cattle, mounted on horseback, wanting to do things like fast figure-eights. But, to send a sharp signal to cows or people – one that will carry a long way – this is the whip! With every crack I find myself grinning from ear to ear!

Thank you, Roy! :)

'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thank you Mr Robert for the kind words and the great review. Your right, these whips are designed for a certain purpose, to crack as loudly and as accurately as possible in a slow controlled fashion. I sure hope this one continues to please you. Enjoy
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Great review Robert, and beautiful whip Roy. As a fellow Pyrographer I must compliment you on the lettering.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Tyler! To have acquired two absolutely fantastic - but very different - whips in recent months (Devin's and Roy's) means I'm purring loudly! :)
'Less is often more!'
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Nice work Roy,
well matched thong and handle.
Looks like a no onsense whip.
Congratulations Robert. It's a super feeling to get a new anything in the post, but a brand new whip is special.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Fritz. You're quite right: this is a no nonsense whip, if ever there was one! :)
'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks Tyler and Fritz. I think it would be really cool if we could see a video of Mr Robert handling that beast. Is there any way of making that happen Mr Robert?
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I'll see what I can do, Roy - but it might take a while. Great idea! :)
'Less is often more!'
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Robert, Great review and great pictures! I second Roy's idea of a video!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I still haven't got the photo I want - and which Roy's creation deserves. I'll try again tomorrow....

I would love to get a video of what Roy calls this 'beast' in action; it's just a question of finding someone with the equipment, time and the willingness to make it for me. (It's got to have sound! If I can get it done, you'll see why! :) )
'Less is often more!'
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

This is a recent cow whip I produced for the young team roper that I'm sponsoring. It features the Lignum Vitae handle with an inlay of a glass alligator eye. The thong is camo with a hint of black giving it an alligator look. I'm kind of thinking about reproducing this one for myself someday or at least one very similar.

ImageImageImage

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”