Your individually tailored Target Stand

You can hit other persons onto their hands, until there's no one left who's holding you anything, or - you build a target stand. Great idea, by the way.
Robby Amper

Your individually tailored Target Stand

Post by Robby Amper »

I'm experimenting for some time now how to calculate the best and most efficient height of a target stand. I tried a wide variety of different heights for the last two years. Now I think I have a result I can hand out to you. The problem is, that the wrong height of a target stand - or the arms which hold the respective target - makes everything much more complicated and uncomfortable.

I'm 1,91 mtr. in height, which is 75,2 in inches. The optimal height for the target holders I found for me is 1,10 mtr. - 43,307 inches (that's what the translator told me…).

Math is really not my favorite, but well... Now there's a simple formula, which helps you to find a practical height for your individual target stand. This is not the world formula, but - like I said - it'll help you. All you have to do is this:

110 x Your height in Centimeter : 191 = The height of the arms of your target stand.

But - always measured from the ground! If you ram it into the ground with a metal spike like "The Spartan"

or if you built a socket with a huge, high solid base. Like these…

Important is, that the height you get here, is always measured from the ground to the center of the target holder! So please don't make the mistake, to start measuring from the top of the base.

Here's an example: The person is 1,72 mtr. in height, which is 172 centimeters.
And this is what the formula looks like:

191 = 110
172 = X

The "x" at the end stands for your personal, individual level of the target holders. Well, in Centimeters… And now how to type it into your calculator:

110 x 172 : 191 = 0,99 mtr.

0,99 mtr. measured from the ground is a good and handy height for that person, which is 172 meters in height.

One more. Here the person is 1,83 mtr. in height.

191 = 110
183 = X

110 x 183 : 191 = 1,05 mtr. from the ground is a working height for this person.

You want to build a target stand for a child…? No problem. Pretty much the same and simple thing. Let's say the child has a height of 1,36 mgr. / 136 Centimeters. Than it is:

One more. Here the person is 1,83 mtr. in height.

191 = 110
136 = X

110 x 136 : 191 = 0,78 mtr. from the ground is a working height for this child.

I made all this in centimeter, because I'm from merry old Germany, but perhaps some folks here can "translate" it into inches, feet and what's more out there :) In the beginning I added some inch info, but I took that from the translator. But having no experience nor feel for inches, I'd respectfully step back and leave that to better folks than me.

I hope you can work with that and it would make me happy if I could help you with this.

But - remember - always measure from the ground line!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Wow, 43,307 inches is about 1.1 Kilometers.....
Stateside we use periods indicate the decimal places rather than commas, it makes it really confusing to look at international measurements.

A simpler formula would be to assume that the ratio between your height and the ideal height of the target stand arms is similar across different builds and heights, in which case the ratio is quite simple.

The ratio works out to 57% of your height from the measurements your provided, in which case for me, I'm about 6' 6" or 1.98 meters, it would be 6.5 x .57 = 3.70' or 1.14 M
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I see. That means 43 inches and a rest of 307 whatever inch. So if you separate it with a . it should look like 43.307 inches. Which would mean here in Germany 43 thousand something. Strange, strange.

Well. It was just a try to help with the individual measurings. No one has to use it. But that 57% thingy looks really cool. And more simple ;)

In my case it would say then: 191 : 100 x 57 = 109 cm. Pretty cool!

Thanks for the help, Devin! :)

Robby
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Appreciate it Robby, I had wondered how tall to make a target stand myself. The difference in reporting measurements is indeed strange, because the comma makes it thousands here, but it is the decimal place for you.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You're totally right. I edited my post while you posted, so it kinda crossed each other. But isn't it amazing, how much difference a comma or a period makes in different parts of the world?
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

Ye gods and little fishes Devin! I thought I was a bit tall at 6'3". You're 6'6"? Changing your nickname from Tex to Stilts!

Robby - Thank you for the formulae!

~T.
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Nice target stands. I never really thought about there being a perfect height before.
Keanu Shimaoka

Post by Keanu Shimaoka »

Haha, most of you guys would probably have trouble with my target stand. I'm fairly short at 5'6" or about about 1.67 meters.

On the topic of commas, I always wondered why my air rifle pellet cans said 4,5 mm instead of 4.5 mm.
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

There you go Keanu! Now ya know. Further on the topic of commas, they are rather important when it comes to written text. Why, the proper placement of commas can drastically change a thought. It's the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

World of difference!...

~T.
Ben Rezendes

Post by Ben Rezendes »

Thanks for the info! very cool target stands
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Very interesting. I've experimented with lots of different ideal heights for target stands, but can never decide what I like best!
'Less is often more!'
Geoffrey Tucker

Post by Geoffrey Tucker »

Very informative post and extremely helpful. Answers a few questions that I have been bouncing around in my head. I'm glad that I found this. I don't know how I missed it.

Thanks!
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Robby - in WB short #15: Crack the Line https://youtu.be/m7KDYWuBLh4 you show a target stand with rubberplates for targets. May I ask how thick those rubberplates are.

I have tried to make some plates out of an PVC box but they shatter when it is cold (and I hit them :) ).

Therefore I will buy some big rubberplates and I can see, that every thickness is available for a surprising low price
Today is a good day
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

This is simple rubber. The stuff you put onto the floor. Very rugged, very tough. It is about 3mm in thickness. What would be good here - use every now and then a liquid rubber „lotion“. It keeps the rubber flexible and soft. And cut them long enough so that they can compensate the impact of the cracker by bending down with the whip.

Robby
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

thank You Robby. Now I know what to buy :)
Today is a good day

Return to “Target Stands (+++ public thread +++)”