Simon Martin

Archive
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I don't know much about saddles, Simon, but that looks really beautiful!
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

And you made that by yourself?! This is so cool, Simon. Great and beautiful work. To work with leather has so much different sides, so much different aspects. And that is one of them. Thanks for sharing the picture. Real classy!

Robby

p.s.
I allowed myself to put the picture right into your post.
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

That is a fine looking saddle Simon. Can't believe that's your first, well done. I'm a big fan of plain rough out saddles without the fancy tooling. Nothing feels better on my rear end than a custom saddle that is made to fit you.
He died for me, I'll live for him
Simon Martin
Member of the Ring

Post by Simon Martin »

Thanks Guys.
Thanks Robby for doing that picture thing. I tried to do that myself, but again failed! William who works for me is a very good tradesman. He started working with me over 4 years ago when he had just turned 16 and now is producing work better than me. So while I did make this one myself, I did also have him letting me know what to do, otherwise I don't think it would have turned out so well for a first one :)
This saddle is called a "Half Breed" which is in between an American Western Saddle and an Australian Stocksaddle. They are very comfortable to ride in.
Simon
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

I don't know much about saddles but it look nice, and comfortable as well.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Hi Simon i'm not a saddle maker but i think you have done a great job!!!!!
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

It is a beautiful saddle, Simon. It looks sturdy, so you may never need to build another one! I really love how you put your logo on it. :)
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

Beautiful Simon, that'll do the job!
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Wow, great job Simon, the saddle looks very elegant and comfortable. ;)

Best wishes,
Mario
Ben Rezendes

Post by Ben Rezendes »

Congratulations! I hope it gives you many years of service! It looks great
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

That's awesome Simon! I have done very little work with leather, but I can still see that you did a fine job. Just out of curiosity, what's the going price for a custom saddle like that? Also, awesome whip, that barber's pole handle is really cool :)
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

Wonderful work on the saddle Simon! You're good at everything you do brother! :)
Simon Martin
Member of the Ring

Post by Simon Martin »

Thanks everyone for all the comments. A custom made saddle like this is $2950.00. Each one that we have done has been numbered, and William just made No. 7. I enjoyed making it, but for me my passion is in my whips, so am leaving that side of the business up to William to grow. I'll probably make another when I wear this one out, but should last me for many years.
Simon
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

Simon, that saddle... I'm very impressed! I played around with working with leather years ago. About 20 years back if memory serves. The lines on this thing are immaculate! The stitching very tidy and then open expanses of beautiful leather. I find something like this more appealing in it's cleanliness and lack of clutter. I've seen leatherwork of many types that have just been tooled to death! Nope, this saddle is clean, simple, elegant. I like it quite a bit!
Simon Martin
Member of the Ring

Post by Simon Martin »

Thank you Terry.
Terry Jacka

Post by Terry Jacka »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your message.
As far as I know we are the only Australians here, if there are others then maybe they could let us know. I was wondering also if there are other whipmakers on this forum using kangaroo, I noticed Gio but are there others that I didn't pick up on?

Great saddle by the way Simon.

All the best.

Terry J
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Jeff works with roo for a long time! Perhaps he can chime in, here?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Robby Amper wrote:Jeff works with roo for a long time! Perhaps he can chime in, here?

Robby
And enjoy every minute of it! There are still a few of us working with Roo here. I know that Josee and Franco both do excellent work in kangaroo. Simon of course I have followed for a few years and have spoken with once a few years ago. And Giovanni has been here as long as or longer than me and also does great work.

Sadly there have been others that have come and gone. Once this used to be a pretty busy place for those of us using kangaroo leather. I still come here because it is a great place to hang out and I always learn something.

Jeff
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Josee Richard

Post by Josee Richard »

Beautiful work on that saddle , its hard to believe its your first.

There's only a few of us who work with roo ,i might try my hand at paracord at some point because of the convenience and price but i will always come back to roo.
I second Jeff's comment , its a great place to hang out and learn.
Simon Martin
Member of the Ring

Post by Simon Martin »

Thanks again everyone. There is ALWAYS something to learn. Roo is my favourite, and I wish nylon was never invented :) Everytime someone wants a pair of whips I have to use gloves to plait or suffer with sore hands!
Simon

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”