Robby Amper

Terry Jacka

Post by Robby Amper »

This is the Gallery of Terry Jacka.

http://theaustralianwhipco.com

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Terry Jacka

Post by Terry Jacka »

I was wondering what photo to post to represent what I do.
When I enter the workshop the apron goes on first and then I strap on the pouch holding an awl, pliers and this knife.
I use this knife to cut out the split leather and the kangeroo set as well as paring and finalising the taper of the whip set and paring and rounding the fall etc.
I wear the pouch when plaiting in case I need to retaper the set as I plait the whip and it's handy on my hip and no need to put the whip down and look for a knife.

The knife is about five inches long total and fits in my hand snuggly.
The blade is made from a saw blade hardened all the way through and ground sharp on the tooth side.
It lasts a long time and when it wears out I sharpen another length of blade and place it in a split in the end of a piece of dowel.

All the best and thanks... Terry
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

That's the perfect introduction photo, and your description not only gives us a picture of how you work, but also conveys the sense of living a deliberate life. Thank you Mr. Jaka.

Post by Guest »

That is a professional looking knife indeed. No joke, this is a good example on how everything does not require a fancy and expensive special tool. I really like seeing things like that.

Thanks for this little peek at your methods.

- Pokkis
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

A purpose made tool :)
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Chris Porter

Post by Chris Porter »

Cool...

I cannot wait to see more.

Chris
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Hi Mr. Jacka,
I deeply admire your style of whipmaking.
In these years I have had more opportunities to see and touch your masterpieces.
Very original photo of your multi-tool and it would be nice to see a little video about the various modes of use with.
Welcome Mr. Jacka
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Terry Jacka

Post by Terry Jacka »

Thanks for your comments everyone.
I will not be posting many photos of my whips here as they all look much the same.
I will post some of the ones I am particulary pleased with and have turned out the way I was hoping for.
The whip pictured her is a twelve ft. sixteen plait with an eleven inch handle.
The leather use was two hides of drum stuffed saddle tan roo. The drum stuffing is important as it adds oil into the fibres of the leather and adds strength to each strand so they take the strain of heavy plaiting. The width of the sixteen plait strings are cut about a third less the width of the normal twelve plait strings but still be able to take the same strain,
otherwise there is no point in using a higher plait count if you can't make the whip tighter or at least as tight as a twelve plait. Unless you use the sixteen to do pattern work and that is another subject.
The handle is in single diamond and that has been the standard plaiting pattern on most Australian bull whips as it is the most stable plait beacause of the under and over one pattern. This does not mean the single diamond plait should be used instead of tight plaiting. It is important to pull the single diamond tightly and overcome the extra friction from the over one under one pattern.

The guy that ordered the whip wanted a heavy twelve ft. so I increased the handle diameter to about one inch so the weight of leather coming off the handle would be a little more.
If it was my whip I would have the handle shorter and the weight less.

He also wanted a custom conch from solid silver with his initials.

All the best...Terry
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Terry, this is just beautiful. The black knots are a nice touch. Thank you for explaining a little more about the strand with and strength. I have no concept of any of that and found it very interesting.
Gideon Rodgers

Post by Gideon Rodgers »

Beautiful piece of Art, Terry.
Einar Stephenson

Post by Einar Stephenson »

Beautiful work Terry I have been a fan of you work for some time. I am glad to see you posting some of your excellent quality work here.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

WOnderful whip Terry- I agree, the black and brown are a great combination. The concho looks very classy, did you do the engraving yourself?
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Great looking whip! That's very interesting about the width of the strands. I was once able to crack a whip of yours, very briefly; I'd love to experience how the weight distribution of this one feels in the hand. Beautiful work!
'Less is often more!'
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

That look fantastic Terry.

Post by Guest »

That is one good looking whip there.

- Pokkis
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

The whip looks very elegant, I like the color combination saddle tan with black knots. And the concho with the initials is a beautiful addition.
You make a fantastic job, Terry.

Best wishes,

Mario
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Great looking whip Terry very tight and smooth!
I like so much the shape of the hell knot.
Gio
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Franco Zoccali

Post by Franco Zoccali »

Beautiful work Terry! I also love the knife pic! How wonderful to have you here!
Cheers,

Franco
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

Good to see you and your work here Mr. Jacka. Your reputation precedes you sir.
Simon Martin
Member of the Ring

Post by Simon Martin »

I just came across this thread. Not sure where I was looking before :)
Nice to see your work Terry.
Simon

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”