Rhett Kelley

Archive
Caleb Krug

Post by Caleb Krug »

Wow, that really turned out excellently! Congratulations on a new best!
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

I love this one! Its just stunningly beautiful!
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

Thanks for all the kind words folks. A performer saw a pic of that whip on Facebook and placed an order for one today. :)

Here's a woody I made back in November of 2012. I really liked how this one came out too:

In regards to my woody bullwhips, I have to say that it was Skip SanSoucie -who I met through this forum- who inspired me to get back to making these. I had tried to do them in 2003 with mixed results after seeing the roohide ones made by the venerable Drew Schrag. When I saw Skip's work, I decided I had to give it another shot. That time it worked out!
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Ooooo!! I love the grey and red. That handle is PERFECT for the colors too!
Einar Stephenson

Post by Einar Stephenson »

The whips are beautiful I can see why you favor the one with the ebony handle.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Bobbi your right, I don't think I've ever seen a lathed handle match the thong colors that good. I like a lot
He died for me, I'll live for him
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

This bullwhip was made for Jason "That Whip Guy" Harris, the man many of us supported and spoke out for when Olympic College banned bullwhips on campus last year because of a single [misguided politically correct extremist] professor.

He posted some feedback on my Facebook page in which he stated that the whip "rekindled my excitement to once again practice my whip-cracking." I thought that was pretty cool. :)

Einar Stephenson

Now that will get your attention beautiful!
Alex Lewis

Post by Alex Lewis »

Rhett Kelley wrote:This bullwhip was made for Jason "That Whip Guy" Harris, the man many of us supported and spoke out for when Olympic College banned bullwhips on campus last year because of a single [misguided politically correct extremist] professor.

He posted some feedback on my Facebook page in which he stated that the whip "rekindled my excitement to once again practice my whip-cracking." I thought that was pretty cool. :)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130 ... G_1423.jpg
LOVE this whip. The way you did the knots around the ferrule is just awesome.
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

This 12 plait bullwhip was one I sent to Chris Camp as a sponsorship item for his children to use on stage. They're known as "The Whipcracking Daredevils." The colors were meant to compliment their costumes. It's not super "fancy" or anything, but it came out nice I think.

Einar Stephenson

OOH I relay like the interweave on the butt knob, sharp whip.
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

Here's a whip from a few years back that you may have seen if you've been on my website looking around for long. The reason this one was special is because I made it for a retired FDNY fireman who was on scene at the World Trade Center on 9/11/2001. He served as part of Ladder 131/ Engine 279, Red Hook, Brooklyn, NYC, aka "The Happy Hookers."

This gentleman made it out, but 5 of his fellow Happy Hookers didn't. As a guy who has at times found himself running toward danger instead of away, I have the deepest respect for the emergency workers who responded to that terrible scene on that dark day. I felt honored to make a whip for someone who was there. He sent me a "Happy Hookers" t-shirt which I proudly wear till this day.

This 8ft Redheart woody bullwhip is the whip he commissioned me to build:

Last edited by Rhett Kelley on Sat 8. Feb 2014, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Great whips, I like the 8ft. Redheart woody bullwhip, the contrast of the dark thong and the red wooden handle is beautiful, you make an excellent job Rhett. ;)

Mario
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

The woodies are really special and refined looking I think. That one for the Camp family, those are colors I never would have thought of together but they look really really good. Thank you for posting.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

it's really hard for me to choose which whip I prefear ...
everywhip is nice for the choice of the pattern and cromia end other peculiarities!
Really my congratulations Rhett
Last edited by Giovanni Celeste on Thu 13. Feb 2014, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Awesome work Rhett! That red black and white piece is really unique. Great story on the Redheart handle whip too.
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

Stockwhip with toheti cane handle, one of my favorites. It now belongs to another plaiter in Louisiana.
Jared Routon

Post by Jared Routon »

Love the stock whip Rhett. The red and grey go well together. Thanks for sharing.
Einar Stephenson

Very nice color combination the wax actually adds sompthing to the color hue that make the whip more attractive.
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

I agree. That looks really good.

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”