Rhett Kelley

Archive
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I really like that one. You know - black and red is not my color combination. But that grey and red looks very nice. Same for the woody in post #63 - lightgrey and red. A very elegant combination, too!

Thanks for sharing, Rhett.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Great stockwhip, it looks elegant, good job. ;)

Mario
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

This is a recent design that was commissioned by Stephen Daymond, a Canadian who has an online comic strip called Specimen B-28. It's pretty wild looking. We've agreed that going forward, the whips that appear in his comic will be "Rhett Kelley Whips.":

Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

This next whip was done black, charcoal gray, and chocolate with an Indian Rosewood handle. I made it for a contributing editor for the NRA's American Rifleman magazine back in 2010. He ordered it because was writing an article on whips and this was the only nylon whip he sampled from the 3 whips he purchased. (I actually sent this whip directly to the NRA headquarters.)

I was very excited as the magazine had a circulation of well over 1 million subscribers and the article was supposed to have pics and give full credit to the makers. In an email, the author said "your nylon whip has proved to be the most durable, versatile whip of the ones I have profiled."

But, alas, it would never come to pass as the article was set on the back burner and never approved. He was bound by contract and not allowed to let me see the unpublished draft. It ended up being a real bummer.

All I have as a consolation is the emails we exchanged on the matter, but I really wish the article had been published. It would have been great for business, but more than that, it would have exposed many more people to whips and whipcracking and would have been good for us all.

Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Both really cool, Rhett.
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

beautiful work as always sir! As I continue to plait and learn it's pictures of your whips, Bob's, and others actually in the business that keep me going. You are each guiding lights. Much like Gideon (I saw a post of his earlier this morning) I wish to get to the point where I am able to sell my wares. Of course, I want to be able to hold my head up and provide a solid quality, well crafted whip much like I see from you guys. Keep sharing!

~T.
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

Beautiful as always. I really like the Rosewood one. The B-28 specimen is really wild looking. The colors for that one are not really my cup of tea but I love the patterns and the craftsmanship.

Post by Guest »

The first one is wild indeed. Not my colors, but it really catches the eye.

The second one is really cool, I would say one of my favorite ones among your whips. It has a certain air of business to it. You really keep on being an inspiration!

- Pokkis
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

The cow whip is definitely more my style. I like it Rhett, it has a good rustic look. That thing up top is crazy for sure. Not my style, but for some reason I keep going back and looking at it. Has a catchy look. Nice as always
He died for me, I'll live for him
Jared Routon

Post by Jared Routon »

Some real fine whips Rhett. The Indian rosewood cow whip is beautiful. The b-28 is real cool too. Love them both.
Carl Feairs

Post by Carl Feairs »

HI Rhett:
Just went thrugh this thread and I must say there are a lot of beauties here.
The red, black and white is wild.
The rosewood, black, grey, and brown above is my fav. at this point.
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

My wife really liked how this one turned out, so I'm posting it here: :)

Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

Well for encouraging you to post it, send you wife the love and blessings of all of us here on the forum! Very nice whip.
Einar Stephenson

Post by Einar Stephenson »

cool looking whips very colorful.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

That is really cool- your wife has god taste in whips :)
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

I second Tyler's thoughts. Your wife has great taste in whips, and you sir are certainly a Master Craftsman. I love your works!

~T.
Rhett Kelley

Post by Rhett Kelley »

Thanks guys. :)

She's my go-to gal for aesthetics whenever I'm not sure about something.
John M. Jackson-Tree

Post by John M. Jackson-Tree »

Always Great work from you Rhett! oh I sooo much want my lathe back to make handles.. Love the black green and read one nice way to mix it up!
Gideon Rodgers

Post by Gideon Rodgers »

Great Whip Rhett. Us newbies can just hope and practice at this stage.
Keanu Shimaoka

Post by Keanu Shimaoka »

Ahhh, black and white looks so elegant!

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”