Bobbie Holyoak

Archive
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Thanks for the support everyone. :D

Robby, as you know my health is not good and I do not have the strength to start a war with this man. I don't want to. We have had a bit of a misunderstanding regarding my email and the fact that his whip was later than he expected. I just want him to go out of my life in peace. I will not refer him here and I ask you not to and not to comment that on his youtube.

I shared this here because I wanted to express that I am sad and to ask if you all (who know what long whips look like in motion) are seeing the same thing I see in the video.

Because I see a 12 foot whip that is trying like hell to VOLLEY! It would be successful if he would give it a fraction of a second longer on each side so the loop could reach the cracker. I suspect that the whip is simply too heavy for him to keep his arm up to let it finish. It does weigh around 4lbs. There is absolutely no overpowering this one. I think in the right hands it would be poetry.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Bobbi, I see exactly what you see in the video. I'm very sorry this has not turned out better for you. At least you know that you've created a real masterpiece: I just hope that can be its own satisfaction....
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I see. I did not want you to start a war. Therefore he should only read what is my opinion. But I understand how you feel. It is sad. I won't bother to comment on his video.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

No worries Bobbi. That's what we are here for, to support you. I think Robby is just sticking up for his girl. He knows what a good product you create and finds it hard to believe that anyone with half a brain can't see that. It's simply a byproduct if the fiercely loyal. We are a blessed bunch to have that kind of friendship. All is well Bobbi, we know that whip is amazing and so are you.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Jessie, you are right. Robby is fiercely loyal to us all and I LOVE that so much about him. That is why I put it so clearly that my intention is just to get some emotional support and ask what people see in the video.

Post by Guest »

Just out of curiosity. You said it weighs about 4 pounds, do you have an idea how much of that weight is wax?

- Pokkis
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

At least a half pound if not more. It was heavier after but the wax also made it come alive and feel more balanced. It was easier to use after the wax.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Bobbi, we all see the same thing on that video the man is out matched by length and weight. Don't worry about your product or his words. Your work is outstanding as usual. I would much rather see that masterpiece in Mr Robert's hands
He died for me, I'll live for him
Stefan Oberenzer

Post by Stefan Oberenzer »

Bobbi, I totally agree with the opinion of the others regarding to that guy. The movements of the whip look perfect to me and it indeed is a really pretty one. :)
What I think about guys like that is, that you should see them with a certain distance. I know it is hard, because there is a lot of hard work in every single one of your whips (and I think a lot of Love too). You should see those people only as customers. A customer that paid for your work. Not a person that should take good care of a part of your craftsmanship. It hapended to me, lots of times too, that people didn´t appreciate my work and just thinking about these people as not more than customers helped me a lot.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Bobbi I watched that video. That's not the first time that guy handled a whip, what was he thinking? He should have known an 18 plait was heavy. That whip you made moves like a dream. I may not know much, and I'm a beginner, but I know how heavy an 8 ft 16 plait is...
That's one beautiful whip. And I agree with Robby on that fellow. He should have known.
Inch by inch.
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Thank you everyone. You have all been helpful in bringing up my mood. I feel better after a day of plaiting.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

So glad you feel better Bobbi. A little Whitney Houston and air guitar in the kitchen does it for me sometimes. Of course, my WB friends willing to listen to me sob on the phone makes a huge difference too when I am feeling blue. :)

It really is a shame we can't just jump in the transporter when we are in distress and drown our sorrows in cupcakes and coffee when we really need someone...

Why is it that all the people that you want to be around live no where near you?
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Bobbi - sorry for not responding earlier. From what I can tell in the video, it looks to me like the whip is very smooth and fluid. Of course you don't try a volley with a heavy whip. Even I know that. I think his complaints are like a novice elk hunter bad mouthing a .300 win mag because it kicks too hard.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Efren de Gala

Post by Efren de Gala »

Bobbi-I definitely was able to observe a lot about roll-out and flow and especially how to handle transition stiffness on a heavy whip, and I know it's all in the way you built the whip rather than from the handler. Many players think Stradivari's are difficult to play, but it's not because Strad built bad instruments.
Ryan Fitts

Post by Ryan Fitts »

So he wanted a whip that size and weight for...volleys? Yeah, let's judge a goldfish on its tree climbing abilities while we're at it. I guess some people always have to try and ice skate uphill. Beauty whip though (as always). :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Good points, made here. Especially about the Stradivari and the goldfish...! Loyalty is one of the most important things in my life. I make mistakes, yes. But show me anyone who doesn't. On that loyalty thingie here at WB it's this... Bobbi is a great whip maker. I never lie in my reviews. So you know how high I value her work. And then seeing a guy who ordered a heavy 12 footer, is not able to handle it and then blames the whip maker (whoever that may be!), makes me angry. Really, really angry. And - thanks to God - I'm german. So that political correctness thing and that "If you don't have anything nice to say - say nothing" nightmare does not apply to me. And when I think, that someone is an idiot, I tell him. Written, or - if possible - right into his face. When I think that a whip is crap - I say it. When I think a whip is great work - I say it. I am loyal to Bobbi. Guilty as charged. I call her friend. And believe me... Germans are very careful with the word "Friend". Not to say extremely careful. And it makes me sad to see that a clueless customer (the one I'm referring to as "idiot") brings her down with a completely wrong criticism and comment on her work. That brings me to the whip...

I see a very long, very heavy and very well made nylon bullwhip. Slow. But elegant. A broadsword, if you like. There are crappy and cheap broadswords, and there are high quality broadswords. Is it surprising to anyone when I say that I know swordfighting? That whip is in the category of the high quality swords. It rolls out very easy, very elegant and it cracks right on the point. Actually I was surprised to see that it rolled out and cracked, even when there was nearly too little energy. Which means that the energy transfer within the whip is very efficient. And that tells me everything I need to know about the balance of that whip. It is possible to do a volley with such a whip. But you need patience. That whip needs time to roll out, completely. The guy pulled back too early; that was the whole problem, why his volley didn't work :) I would say if I would think that the whip is not good enough. Or not well made. Okay, what I can see from a video... On the other hand, this video told me everything I need to know.

In my opinion it would be the best to offer that guy a refund and sell it to Robert. Because he knows about the quality of such a whip. Sorry that the guy brought you down, Bobbi. You don't need that. Especially not at the moment. On the other hand - these moments tell you clear who's with you. And it seems that you have a whole bunch of great folks by your side.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Bobbi,

" It makes rodondos absolutely effortless."

What is a rodondo ?

I Googled it and got no where.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ryan Fitts

Post by Ryan Fitts »

I've seen it spelled "redondo" as well, in Filipino martial arts.
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I do feel better today.

Ron, a rodondo (redondo if I spelled it wrong) is when you swing the whip in a circle and at any point in that circle you pause causing the whip to crack at different points in the circle. It is used in martial arts as kind of a resting move. It makes it harder for the opponent (especially if they don't know about whips) to figure out what you are going to do with your whip. It also keeps energy in the whip so you can use it if you need to and not have to set up a crack.

My whip that makes rodondos effortless is the Bodlack. It is a 4.5 foot whip with a curved handle. Because of the curved handle, you can let the whip spin in the hand and just grab it tight for the crack. It puts zero pressure on the wrist. If you tried it with the 12 footer you would most likely rip your elbow out of socket.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Bobbi, is the redondo the same as, or similar to, what is sometimes called Haslett's Four Corners?

I'm so glad you're feeling better! :)
'Less is often more!'

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”