Bobbie Holyoak

Archive
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Wow Bobbi, you post one pretty picture after another, ......and then BOOM!!
That 12 footer is one stand-out piece of work, beautiful.
I bet you're pleased it's done though, must have been a mammoth task.
Just gutting all the paracord you used must be a full time job, ....

Post by Guest »

... simply awesome! Bobby, I take my hat off to you.

jose
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Wonderful Bobbi. That 12 footer... just so good.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Bobbi, I am speechless! That 12-footer is astounding! (I like the actual snake, too - and I'm not exactly 'into' snakes). I'm so envious of the new owner that I don't quite know how to handle it! (Pant! Drool!) And I have to echo Roy's words: with all that 'stuff' going on in your life, to be able to make this.... Well, you are an example to us all!
'Less is often more!'
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Thank you very much, for all your kindness. Yes, this was the biggest whip I have made and I am proud of how it turned out. I don't want to do another this size for a long time. Pulling my ring finger out of socket and then immediately doing a 12 foot overlay is on my list of top 10 awful things to never try again. ((all the cussing made it take so much longer))

Robert, the guy who ordered it may not actually want it. If he sends it back, I'll give you first dibs.
Paul Slater

Post by Paul Slater »

Bobbi all of your whips look superb but that snake inspired 12 footer is unreal.
If I can get to that ability I will be over the moon.

Even at the first glance of the photo it just looks so special especially comparing it to the snake's colours.
That has to be one of the most special looking whips I have ever seen.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Bobbi Holyoak wrote: Robert, the guy who ordered it may not actually want it. If he sends it back, I'll give you first dibs.
Bobbi, if he doesn't want it, I do - even if I have to take out a mortgage! (O please, please let him not want it....) :)
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Those color combinations are simply incredible. If someone would tell me that, I would say "Noooooo". But to see it finished - like I said - incredible. And that snake... Do you really have those in your area? I would never walk out without a knight's armor!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ian Moore

Post by Ian Moore »

That 12 footer is insane. Nails every color from the source photo. That's amazing.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, snakes are one excellent reason for wearing high leather boots in such places....
'Less is often more!'
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

So, here is a video of the 12 footer in action. The guy doesn't like it. He says on the comment that it is too stiff and too heavy. But seriously, he is doing a volley with a 12 footer. I think it moves like a dream. Can anyone here do a volley with a 12 footer? What is he expecting with over 14 feet of bellies required inside of a 12 foot overlay??

Feeling sad that all my hard work went to someone who doesn't know what he has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAm9zTZpSfw
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Oh no he didn't.

Sigh. I'm sorry Bobbi.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management

Post by Guest »

Umm... Okay? Doesn't look stiff to me, especially if it isn't even broken in yet -- which it can't be since it's not even three weeks since you finished it. And of course it's heavy. It's a waxed 18-plait 12-footer for crying out loud, and that's a lot of whip. How light could it possibly be?

This is one of life's lessons yet again. If you want an exceptionally long whip, first thing to do is make sure you really want an exceptionally long whip.

Try not to feel too bad about it. It is a beautiful whip after all, and judging by that video it flies really nicely.

- Pokkis
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

It looks amazing and fluid. People are dumb
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Please send him the URL of this page - it is public - and that he should read post #372:

"Dear Jerome Yun. You are an idiot. A well made whip is stiff in the beginning. You need to break it in. And it's too heavy? You bit off more than you are able to chew. A 10 footer is a sledgehammer already. A 12 footer is very hard to handle. And to try volleys with a 12 footer and then complain about the whip's response...? I think you are one of the people who over estimate themselves totally. And when they get what they want and it doesn't work - it's never their fault. Of course not! It's always the whip. Too heavy, too stiff, too long, to much this, too much of that, and so on. In fact you are the one who's not able to handle that beast of a whip. And - believe me - every whip handler who has at least a little bit of an idea on whips knows that. Don't blame the whip maker - she made a good job. Blame yourself for not being able to handle it..."

Robert Amper
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Hehe...*high five*
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management

Post by Guest »

I don't think calling the guy an idiot for this is called for, so in case he really is refered to this page, that's not what I think at all. The "too stiff before breaking new whip" might just as well mean the same as "it's still very stiff because it hasn't been broken in properly", or whatever. I would just say that he didn't fully understand what a whip that long is. It's heavy and slow, and in this case more so than he anticipated.

Not that I'm taking back any of my words. This works as a good reminder that before investing into a 12-footer it's very, very good to be very, very sure that's what you really want.

- Pokkis
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You see - that's the good thing about the real name policy. I am responsible for my words and my post. And no one else. And everybody should know that it was Robert Amper who said he's an idiot. If anyone orders a 12 footer, he should be experienced enough to know what will come his way. If someone orders such a huge and heavy whip and does not know, but complains afterwards... He's an idiot.

Robby
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Bobbi, if he returns it, please let me know at once! I don't know what it would cost, but I'm definitely interested! :)
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

And Robert is definitely not an idiot. Quite the contrary! He knows what he's doing.
Therefore it would be almost beneficial for that Jerome guy to read this.

Robby

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”