Giovanni Celeste

Archive
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Gio, I agree with Robby - that Indy whip is splendid. The taper looks as near perfect as possible.

(I have white hide falls on several of my nylon whips, and like them very much.)
'Less is often more!'
Mario Desgronte

Post by Mario Desgronte »

Great work, Gio. I like this beautiful Indy style bullwhip, the color and the smooth plaiting is fantastic. :D

Best wishes,
Mario
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Post by Giovanni Celeste »

Thank you so much Robert and Mario!!!
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it

Post by Guest »

Hello Gio, I love the Indy whip. Nice work.

Jose
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Hi Guys,
this is a new whip that i recently made.
This is a snake/bull hybrid Halle Berry style whip (catwoman) with braided wrist loop.
It was shoatloaded whit 10cm of spike inside the shotbag
12 plt
5ft black
Kind Regards
Gio
"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity". www.giovanniceleste.it
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

As always, elegant and beautiful work. :). Your talent makes a person want to try leather.
Inch by inch.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Lovely, Gio! Was this a commission, or did you decide on the design yourself?
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Thanks for the pictures, Gio. You keep the Masters Gallery alive! :)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Curt Baumgardner

Post by Curt Baumgardner »

Very nice whip Giovanni, quite sexy for sure.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Thank you all for your kind words.
Originally my client wanted a snake whip with a feeling of a bull whip.
So I decided to insert a short handle inside of a shotbag.
This is what i've done :-)
I find this style of whip very versatile hybrid whip, because match their basics characteristics of the bullwhip and the snakewhip. Control and flexibility.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Very sleek and classy looking Gio. This design sounds like it should be a perfect blend of the two styles.
He died for me, I'll live for him
Curt Baumgardner

@Giovanni, man, the work on the silver handled whip is just gorgeous. So much so that I just have to know, did you know from the start you would paint the handle?

Post by Guest »

Beautiful work! I like the idea, even a very short handle makes a big difference.

- Pokkis
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

As I have found with Snakes, unless you bind really tightly, it's very easy to end up with Robby's 'wet noodle' effect. A short spike gives that extra bit of leverage.

Lovely work as always.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Again thanks to All!!!
Curt Baumgardner wrote:@Giovanni, man, the work on the silver handled whip is just gorgeous. So much so that I just have to know, did you know from the start you would paint the handle?
I Curt, thanks for your compliments, very kind of you.
If i well undrestood your question for the silver whip i've cuted two different set for the overlay from two different hide
the first set was in brown cuted for the 16 strands.
the other set was in natural tan and after painted in silver for the handle.
I hopeI've answered your questions
Curt Baumgardner

Yeah, I was wondering if you had finished the whip and then paints the handle or painted the strands before plaiting. The reason I asked is the it is such a piece of work that I really would have had to take a moment to admire it before painting. Really, super work.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Dear Curt,
When you braid you have to grease the strands with braiding soap to have a tied plait.
So if you braid the whip with the strands greased with plaiting soap, you'll have some trouble to paint the braid because the grease in to the strands doesn't allow the color to be wbsorbed in to the leather.
For this reason the first step is to dye the leather and then grease it with braidind soap for a tied and smooth plait.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Very nice Gio! I am always amazed at your talent with Kangaroo.

For those wondering about dying leather strands there are several good leather dyes that are water based. I've also used alcohol based but they tend to make the leather stiff. After a dye is applied it is important to seal the dye. A simple mixture of wood glue and water will work just fine. I did a test last year with green dye and natural kangaroo leather. 1 strand dyed green - the other left natural. I sealed both strands before I made a bracelet from them. The color is still as bright the day I made it and the color has not run.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Curt Baumgardner

Good point Giovanni, I didn't think about that as I have never worked with leather. I learn something new every day here, its great.
Giovanni Celeste
Member of the Ring

Hi Jeff,
thanks for your kind words.
For the dyeing of my skins I use colors that are used in tanneries.
They sell me the pure color that then I will have to be diluted as a percentage of water and alcohol.
When I dyed the strands immediately I clothe the strands with leather dressing or other cream.
This avoids the feeling of dry skin and rough due to the presence of alcohol

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”