Tyler Blake

Archive
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Thanks so much Gio, that's a big compliment! Fritz, I'm so relieved that the whip showed up safe and that you like it. Bobbi and I were talking about "whipmaker's angst on another thread and that was definitely a factor here :) Thanks also to Josee and Terry- Terry, I would be happy to share on the zig zag- you'll have to give me some time to do a clean presentation on it though. The one I used is marked up to the point of being illegible with corrections, etc. What plait count do you suppose you might use?
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

Tyler - Most likely 12 or 16. 16 is as high as I've plaited to date. To go higher I'd need some tutelage (tutaledge? Teachin'!). I'll give ya all the time in the world there boss!

~T.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

I'd be interested in learning that pattern also. It is interesting how it carried throughout the whip all down the thong.

Terry, doing a pattern on a thong isn't any more difficult than on the handle. With this whip it looks like the plait count further along was lower, but he was still able to keep the same pattern.

Overall a very nice design!
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

Oh I don't think it'd be any harder Jeff. I've done patterns in the thong area already. The teaching I was referring to needing would be on a higher strand count than 16. An 18 or 20 strand count say. Though I certainly do want to learn that zigzag.

~T.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Well I believe the word you're looking for is Book Learnin'! I used a 20 plait for the zig zag, but I'll work up the pattern for 16 and maybe a 12 too.
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

No, tell me in terms of 20 plait. Please. I do not mind expanding my brain cells here and there. Though, and it may be for a different post in a different place, when doing a 20 plait do you want a larger circumfrence on your bellies to start with? I'd think 20 would get crowded as hell... This is the learnin' area I was referring to.

~T.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Yes you would...Although the reason this one is 20 plait is because it's dacron and thinner- If this were a paracord whip that section would probably have been a 16. A paracord whip with 20 plait is going to be big and beefy- which is not to say it can't be done, and done well, like Keanu's Tank.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Here is a set of wee Exowhips bound for Sweden:

THese are only 28" long- my customer wanted to practice indoors and with fast multiple cracks. I had a harder time with these because they're so compact, just trying to cram the taper into that small of a space. They're faster than I am :)
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

Tyler, I am such a fan of your work! Everything you do is just beautiful. My birthday is coming up next month... I've been looking over your site thinking I may have to splurge on myself. :)
Carl Feairs

Post by Carl Feairs »

Wow! They look great and only 28". You could practice in an elevator and have lots of room! I bet you have to be quick
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Nice set Tyler, I like the chromatic opposition with the black and white. What diameter do you come up with for the 20 plait section?
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Thanks very kindly Bobbi- I would be very proud to make you a special birthday whip :)

Carl, that tickles my funnybone- the mental image of someone practicing in an elevator. And yes, you do have to be quick. I'll post a video before I ship them. And thanks!:)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Tyler... How-do-you-do-these-amazing-patterns...??? I'd have problems to draw these things with a pen. These things remind me why this is called the "Masters" Gallery.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Terry Shaw

Post by Terry Shaw »

Once more... wow. I see on the patterning you revisited Lokai once more to a small extent. Your original pair where you pulled off the black and white then the very complete opposite on the other whip was just stunning work as these two little fellas are as well.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

WOW! and to get such a nice taper in so short a distance.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Jonathan Lewis

Post by Jonathan Lewis »

Holy cow Tyler. Again? Those are amazing.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

I have to agree with all the compliments, Tyler. Amazing!
'Less is often more!'
Josee Richard

Post by Josee Richard »

They're gorgeous! The patterns on them is fabulous work.

Post by Guest »

Dude... Why are you doing this? Stop making the rest of us look bad at once!

:)

- Pokkis
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Sorry Devin, I didn't see your question at first, it's 3/4" at the 20 plait.
Thanks Robby! I employ Drafting Gnomes! When I'm more caught up I might have to draw that... Terry, thanks and good eye! It's always been my habit to do a reversal on matched Exowhips but it shows more with black and white. Jeff, Jonathan, Robert, and Josee, Thank You! :) Pokkis, you said it- I'm a despicably evil bastard :P Just kidding, I'm not making anyone look bad- as a point of fact, I learned how to do that particular Bird's Eye pattern from Jonathan, even though I've been making whips about 10 years longer than him ;)

Return to “Masterpieces & Craftsmen (public archive)”