Arizona whips

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Ian Moore

Post by Ian Moore »

Craig Frank wrote:So now that I'm done with my whips for the swap, it's time to experiment. My next whip core will consist of 1/4" wire rope with a plastic cover, 5/16" rope that will only be half gutted, 1/4" steel ball bearings, and 5/16" hollow steel rod for the handle.
Have you thought about doing anything to the end of the wire rope to keep it from abrading the inside of the rope? The binding might keep it from moving enough, but I'd worry about how sharp those ends can be when they're cut if there was any wiggle at all.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Ian - I'm thinking bench grinder and plastic dip.

I'll trim it down once it's dry.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Taylor Jennings

Post by Taylor Jennings »

Need to reiterate Pokkis' "flying bits of metal/shrapnel" comment just for safety police. That said, interested in your outcome Craig. Btw, you guys have the new digi camo cord at px there yet? Pretty awesome.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Very interested to see the outcome, but the different processes every individual comes up with is so cool. Thank you for letting me learn with you!
Inch by inch.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Taylor - no. The PX only sells solid colors. I have to order all of my fancy colors. Don't know if you noticed, but my last bull whip was multi cam and the snake whip was UCP.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Ok, this may not work. I've already discovered a few flaws. I was hoping to be able to cover the entire wire rope and part of the handle with the nylon rope, but it's not wide enough. I was only able to get it about four inches up on the wire rope. I've wrapped everything from the handle tip down in hockey tape and I'm going to have to use a butt load of sinew and hockey tape to bind it all together and even out the layers before I even start the first belly. If it holds, I don't think I'll need any more sinew or hockey tape over any of the bellies. We'll see how the first belly comes out stiffness wise.

It ways a ton, btw.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I think I figured out the flaw in my math. Both the wire rope and the ball bearings were listed as 1/4", but I think for the wire rope, that's the thickness without the plastic coating. 2x4 math got me again.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

I've never done this before with a whip, but "abort, abort, abort!"

I just bought some 3/16" wire rope and some precut 1/4" copper pipes that are 12" long. I'm going to go home, completely disassemble my core, keep only the ball bearings, and start over.
Ian Moore

Post by Ian Moore »

Yeah, sometimes you've just gotta cut bait and go. I think I hit that point with my fifth whip, and possibly with the second synthetic rubber core I was trying.

Aaaaand I just figured out how to make the skinny synthetic rubber work...derp. Yay for random inspiration.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Craig, I've scrapped 2-3 so far. It hurts but I reckon it's part of the learning process. Mine are pretty simple, too, but sometimes it just won't go :) look forward to seeing what you do next.
Inch by inch.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thanks, Ian and Rachel. Hopefully I can get some time this weekend between races and selling popcorn.
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Good luck Craig, a lot is learned from playing around with new materials.
I had a seven foot paracord whip with a steel cable core, some whip makers use it quite successfully. Dusty Damrel from Crease'n'Coral uses it for his leather whips and he makes very pretty whips.

I prefer the transition stiffness to come from binding only, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Craig - I think, it's about time now to level you up. I wish you would be more into all the personal things we share, but i can't force you. So I try another way. You're a full member from now on. Perhaps it will help you to become more involved in the livfe of zhenothers. And you'll discover a lot of new things you didn't know about. Until now... :)

Welcome to the Whip Basics, Craig!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Paul Slater

Post by Paul Slater »

Craig I am glad its not just me that starts something and gets to the point of thinking I am going to stop this here and now and go back to base to start again.
That's the main reason my number two whip hasn't seen the light of day yet as I have so far got as far as the core and starting to load the BB's before I have read something and though I better have rethink here.

Congratulations Craig on your promotion to full member status :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Craig, I too offer my congratulations! Enjoy what you find here! :)
'Less is often more!'

Post by Guest »

Welcome again to the forum, Craig :)

- Pokkis
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Welcome to the club Craig! Its exciting to see you try innovative new ideas. Many of them are going to be flops but don't let that stop you. When you are able to make a few of them work then its a great feeling
He died for me, I'll live for him
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Whee, another member joins the ranks of full membership.
Welcome and enjoy,...
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Thank you, Herr Amper. I will honestly try. My biggest hindrance is getting on a computer at home that has a full sized keyboard for extensive typing. I have three full sized desktops, but only my wife's has an actual keyboard instead of just a small multimedia keyboard.

My phone just isn't cutting it. The long response that I typed on computer security took me twenty minutes to type on my phone and I had to do it twice.

I spend eight hours a day starting at multiple monitors and computers at work, but unfortunately, this website is blocked at work.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Weeeeehoooo, welcome to the cool kids club!!
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”