Re: The Whip Swap 2015 -- Who got what

I truly am touched by the sense of community and honor that we have here.  Whether it is through the whip swap, the dog shelter campaigns, or even the concern we show for one of our own when going through difficult times.  I thank everyone for their concern to see this through to completion.

For me the whip swap was a success.  I finally had the drive/reason to get a whip to Robby.  I had thought about it for a few years and was finally able to do it.

Thanks again!
Jeff

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

I am humbled to part of Whip Basics. So many folks on here keep on demonstrating how people can work, share and care together.

Rachel - :x (that's a platonic kiss on the cheek, girl!)

One, two, three... "WOOF!"

Roger Tuson wrote:

I am humbled to part of Whip Basics. So many folks on here keep on demonstrating how people can work, share and care together.

Roger, you've said it for all of us!

@ Rachel McCollough:

My greatest compliments to you Mrs. McCollough !!!
Stepping up to correct the bad behavoir of someone else who has been involved in this project and thereby saving the entire project shows what a great character you have !!!

All the best
Ben

Thank y'all for all the friendship, teaching and helping y'all do.  There's where this community comes from, all of us together, in Robby's house- it wouldn't be the same otherwise. 

Roger I graciously accept that platonic kiss on the cheek!

Inch by inch.

Rachel, is the epitome of what this group is all about.
Yes, this speaks volumes about her character and the kind of outstanding person she is.
Salt of the earth ? No, she's the whole spice rack. smile

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

I had a chance to get to the park this afternoon and try Rachael's whip.  It is a beauty to crack.  With a little flick of the wrist it gives a nice "pop"!.  I was able to do a variety of cracks easily.  The only fault I could find is the handle.  It feels a little light for how heavy the whip itself is.  It is possible I am not used to this style of handle too.  The grip is a bit larger than I normally use.  If I try to overpower a crack I have to keep a good tight grip on the handle or else it will fly our of my hands.  I guess this can be a good thing as it lends itself to quieter cracks.  Maybe a bit of lead in the handle would help balance it out.

Rachael put a twisted taper fall and a long thin popper on it.  The popper is made from waxed thread, wound very tightly, and the tassle is about 1 inch long.  It gave nice sharp cracks.  A few other styles of poppers were included that I will have to try.

Overall it is a great whip.  Thanks again Rachael!

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.

Jeff, I'd be interested to know what you think of the Brian Nemeth stockwhip I sent you. Even if you think it's rubbish, I'd still be interested to hear. (It's possible you've already posted something, and I've missed it....)

Jeff, you're sure welcome!

smile Ron somehow I missed your comment.  You know how to make a gal blush!

Inch by inch.

Robert Gage wrote:

Jeff, I'd be interested to know what you think of the Brian Nemeth stockwhip I sent you. Even if you think it's rubbish, I'd still be interested to hear. (It's possible you've already posted something, and I've missed it....)

Here is what I posted, it was in a Daily Roll Call:

Hey all!

Today has been steady so I took a late lunch as usual.  Shortly before I received a whip from Robert Gage for the Dog Shelter Raffle.  I took about 15 minutes to test it out at my nearby park.  It is a 6x8plait Australian stockwhip made by Brian Nemeth.  He has an unusual handle style/grip.  It kind of bulges and the knob is slightly flattened and oversized.  The handle is made from steel lined cane and has a slight taper to it.  It is a bit heavy (I think) for the whip.  The whip itself is 6ft with a redhide core, belly, and an 8plait thong.  Strands taper all the way to the fall knot ending with 8 strands.  The fall is made of redhide also and the popper is nylon.

Overall the whip cracks well, if not a bit "softly".  The handle style is different than what I am used to.  Normally the knob would rest in the palm of my hand.  I find that difficult and uncomfortable with this whip.  I might try a different handle to see how that changes performance. One other note about the handle, the end of the steel lined cane is exposed under the keeper.  This might cause undue wear on the keepers.  I usually cover the end of my handles with a small piece of leather to protect the keeper.

I must be doing something wrong when cracking whips.  The fall was a bit chewed up after about 15 minutes.

Anyhow, thanks again for everyone for a successful Dog Shelter Campaign.  Hopefully I can get back into the groove of whipmaking and donate next year.

It's better to post the stories into the respective threads. So your report on the whip you've got from the whip swap is better placed here than in the roll call.

Thank you!

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thanks very much, Jeff! I don't know hoiw I missed this when you first posted it; I generally try to read everything!