Re: Ohh yes..... There will be blood

"It must be broken because I can't get it to snap"!  That makes me laugh!

Did point them to your vidues  smile   as well   sorry thaugh I had put that in there Robby .

23 (edited by David Cross 09.10.2014 20:13:44)

I encountered something similar with the owner of a tattoo shop where my friend studies. Of course, he knew all about whips and how to use them.

What do you suppose was his first attempted crack? Circus? Forward Throw? Overhead?

Nope. It's something I call "Towel Snap". Apparently that's what "skilled" and "experienced" people do with a whip. He crossed his right arm over to the left, jerked it forward and sharply pulled back, just as you would do if you were trying to snap your buddy in the behind with a towel. Well, naturally it produced terrible results.

Couple of cracks in my hand, I could tell he was trying to hide his embarrassment. I think I saw a little hint of "Ooohh, so that's how it's done."

People want to be praised for their abilities; so much so that they sometimes fib a little about what those abilities are. Sometimes they can bluff their way through showing off and get that praise artificially. Whips don't really work that way. They require careful guidance and deliberate use, which is something unskilled users do not know yet.

That's why I don't normally allow people to use my whips until after they've seen a couple standard cracks. A whip can become a danger to oneself and others if mishandled. I worry less about damage to my whips than I do about damage to people and property!

Never believe somebody when they say "Oh, yeah, I can do that." It's almost always a matter of somebody trying to impress his buddies.

Somehow that "towel snap" is something most people will try first unless instructed otherwise. Yes, it's a somewhat intuitive thing to do, and might produce a loud snap, but it's also a good way to get rid of your eye. Not to mention the fact that doing this exact maneuver is how Indiana Jones got his gnarly face scar.

- Pokkis

I know I'm a little late to chime in, but the topic reminds mo of the time an acquaintance - drunk acquaintance at that - wanted to try my whip. I warned him that he could get hurt, but he was insistent.

After a few minutes of flailing the whip around without even a peep of a crack, here's what he got:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/kac_fenris/Indiana%20Jones/whips/424420_10151362309244520_1696107340_n_zpsfdb4834d.jpg

I guess that's a lesson learned there, whips don't mix well with alcohol and stupid. At least it was just a nick on the arm and nothing more serious.

- Pokkis

Imagine getting that in the eye!   sad

'Less is often more!'

Some people will learn it only the hard way.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

It was actually bleeding, but I didn't care... He was being stupid. He deserved to get that.

I'm reminded of a quote from msgroup.org (motorcycle safety) "When the time comes for you to test your armor, make sure you are wearing it".

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Ooooh, another biker? Check out the 'Bikes' thread big_smile

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Sorry. I ride an oversized scooter.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Craig Frank wrote:

Sorry. I ride an oversized scooter.

Nothing wrong with Scooters.  I ride a 2010 Vespa GTS 300ie Super.  85MPH and a 65mpg.

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

What Lasse said. It's got two wheels and an engine...  wink

Think for yourself, act for everyone.