Topic: Suggestions or experiences

Please post here your suggestions of where the total donation should go.

Any experiences or observations about where there is a need is welcome.
Any indication of where a shelter or other  type of animal care organization is doing a good job is welcome.
Any relevant stories are welcome.
Anything to let all know that you or someone else has taken notice of a local situation involving animals, good, bad or otherwise, is welcome.

Re: Suggestions or experiences

I'm a big fan of the Retired Greyhound Trust. I'm not very keen on greyhound racing, but hundred of these lovely dogs 'retire' from racing each year. Many are put down. This charity tries to find homes for at least some of them. They make fabulous pets: gentle, affectionate, intelligent and undemanding.

'Less is often more!'

I could only name shelters here in Germany. But I'm donating myself every year to these. So - I'll gladly accept what Jonathan thinks is right.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thank you Robert and Robby,
We have the same sort of problem here in the USA with Greyhound racing. The exploitation then discarding of the dogs. It is definitely an area of need.

Please continue to post your thoughts, as I only know about local issues or things I hear about from news and other people.

I agree with Robert- We don't have a dog right now because with our work schedule, we wouldn't be able to walk them as much as they deserve.  But, for years we've discussed that one day when that changes, we'd like to adopt one of these greyhounds.  In the meantime, we have a ferret- he hates the outdoors!- and we've always supported Ferret City Shelter and Rescue here locally.  Ferrets are somewhat exotic, I believe they're still illegal in California and New York, so people don't know as much about them.  Then they see them in a movie like "Along Came Polly" and say "How Cute!  I'm getting one!"  Once they find out they actually want attention, need playtime, vet care, etc, they wind up in a shelter all too often.

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

Same story with the Harry Potter Movies. How much of these poor snow owls were given to kids, because they wanted to be Harry Potter. And Hogwarts. When these owls killed a mouse for the first time... No more Harry Potter. No more Hogwarts. But suddenly lots of owls in shelters. Or dead owls in the trash bins. Terrible. All I can say - terrible. It's unbelievable what men can do to these creatures.

I read a book, once. It was about kinda judgement day. But not God, it was the animals accusing and judging the people. I was dpressed for two weeks. But not because of the book. Because of the fact, that every word, written in that story was true.

Robby

That's really awful- I didn't even realize that happened with owls.  I think they're beautiful, but I don't think I could ever have a bird as a pet.  Seeing something that was meant to fly stuck in a cage depresses me.

Exactly. Birds in cages are like dogs in cages. Awful.

Wow. Snowy Owls, seriously?
Active falconers, if that can be done with owls, I can understand. Personally I don't think I like it, but I can understand. As pets though, wild animals should be wild.

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

Wow. Snowy Owls, seriously?
As pets though, wild animals should be wild.

That's just the point! Wild animals ARE wild! They CAN'T be pets! Humans need to learn that that world is not some Disney-like fantasy!

'Less is often more!'

Love ferrets! Though I've always contended that a ferret is merely a weasel with a good PR department.

Robby - Hate to hear that about the snowy owls. I'd never considered folks getting them as pets but I can see where it would trend that way after a movie.

All of our dogs are rescue dogs. We've a chihuahua, a poodle / schnauzer mix, and a beagle. Sadly, our great dane passed about 6 months ago. On the bright side our dane, Moose, lived to be 11 years old. 11 is quite advanced for a dog of his size. We treat em well.

As to the greyhound society? I like that idea! Of course, they race whippets alongside the greyhounds. How fitting would it be for us to help whippets and make whippets good? (Sorry, couldn't help myself! A little Devo moment....)

~T

A suggestion for those who may not be able to donate at this time to such a worthy cause - go down to your local shelter and donate time.  I know my local SPCA/county shelter is always looking for volunteers.

Another suggestion - In Reno there are many homeless people with dogs.  I was at a local burger place when I saw a homeless guy eating inside while his dog remained outside in the snow and cold.  I ran to my local store and bought a bag of dog food for him.  I hate to see dogs suffer and go without a decent meal.  If you see a dog and owner in need a couple of meals would probably be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Hi all, I'm looking into Greyhound rescues. I don't really have much information yet as to which ones are able to do the best job for the dogs.

Another possibility, because I have access to them and can see directly what they do, is my local Humane Society. I know they are in need of funds and I like that they do a lot of work with put-bulls. These dogs are now outlawed in Denver so there is a lot need there from people who have been forced to either give up their dog or move, through no fault of the dog at all. They get shipped here from all over the country because so few places will take them in.

We are getting close to closing this so any input that will help make a decision would be very very welcome right about now. 

*NOTE: The three week animal shelter campaign is now finished.

I will not fully close the campaign to donations until all the funds are confirmed as available in the PayPal account.
I am closing the campaign to donations from outside the US however, because those seem to be the ones that have a 21 day hold on funds - but no always apparently.

Jonathan, I haven't got any suggestions to a particular location. Greyhounds is fine. Great Dane Rescue would be just as noble a cause, as I happen to be a particular fan and lover of my danes. Pit bulls even. I have faith in you. I have faith in Robby. I know that no matter which direction you decide to go, dogs will be helped. That's the main thing isn't it?

God Bless.

~T.

Jonathan, I'm happy that you should make an 'executive decision' on this. It's probably better that the whole amount goes to one place, rather than be divided up....

'Less is often more!'

I agree with Robert- it would probably make a bigger impact in one place.  I'll be satisfied with whatever you choose, Jonathan.  Pit Bulls  are a good choice- they're legal here, but unfortunately there have been problems with dog fighting rings in the past, and also it's kind of a status symbol for all the gang banger assholes to have a pitbull, and they'll get removed from homes when people do things like go to prison.

Terry, you really made me laugh with that weasel PR comment- especially because it's true!  His name is Loki, but "You Little Weasel!" is one of his many nicknames smile

I'm posting this just for the inspiration of it, not as a suggestion, because happily the clinic has already received enough donations to care for these dogs as long as they need it.  A few weeks ago, not far from where I live, in a place called Oso, Washington, there was a big mudslide that wiped out a neighborhood and killed at least 30 people- they're still trying to sort through the debris field.  Here's a link to the local paper about two of the dogs who survived and were rescued from the site:

[url=http://www.goskagit.com/all_access/burlington-vet-clinic-nurses-oso-dogs-back-to-health/article_f6259cf0-db0d-5e33-9363-0dda67583cdb.html]

I trust in Jonathan absolutely. When it comes to these things, I will gladly accept what ever he decides. Like I wrote him personally... What is good and okay for him, is good and okay for me, too.

I'm just proud to be a member of this awesome group of people.

Robby