Topic: Experiment: „Locking“ a cracker on a leather fall?!

I have seen this (or heard of) on other people’s whips several times now: The cracker attachment knot cuts into the leather and at some point it will come off because the fall is torn at that point. Or the cracker will get lost, because it’s knot tied strong enough (and subsequently cutting into the leather) and slips off the end after some cracks.
There are more methods with paracord falls: A real loop locking the cracker can be done with the end of a paracord fall and additionally it can be molten with a lighter and thickend at the end, so that the cracker doesn’t slip over it.
Yesterday Renates fall broke at the end where the cracker was attached. The fall is tapered and gets thinner to the end. So what to do...
I remembered that I had a special glue for leather and repairing shoes once and thought „what about a drop of leather glue at the end of the fall?!“. This might be similar to melting the end of a paracord fall.
Fortunately it turned out that Renate has exactly that glue at home...here is the result.
Before it was completely dry:
https://i.imgur.com/W8wXt4k.jpg

Final result with cracker:
https://i.imgur.com/mkmZbcQ.jpg

The idea is to not having to make a „cutting knot“ in the end of the fall...
This is only just an experiment, maybe it’s just a (german word) „Schnapsidee“ or the glue-leather connection lasts and the cracker /end of fall lasts longer this way?!

Re: Experiment: „Locking“ a cracker on a leather fall?!

That's an intriguing idea.
I do believe though that when the cracker breaks or gets knotted up that you might have to cut the fall anyway to be able to put a new cracker on.
Let us know how this works out.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

I just remembered something...it’s melted not molten?! (As pointed out by Robert wink )
Anyway, of course this is a story to be continued. Ron you’re probably right, but the main idea is to at least improve the durability of the fall-cracker connection.

Yes indeed, Wolfgang - 'melted', not 'molten'.  One speaks of 'molten lava' in a volcano, for example - but 'melted cheese' on toast!

It's a clever idea, but - to be honest - I'm not sure I would trust the adhesive properties of any glue for this purpose.  Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but I have a vivid mental picture of a cracker coming off and injuring someone.  I've lost innumerable crackers over the years anyway, thanks to falls breaking.  There's a particular field in British Columbia which probably still contains at least a dozen of these, lost during vigorous practice some forty years ago, and never found!

'Less is often more!'

Fine idea Wolfgang. Otherwise Robby gives advice in Whip basic DVD no. 4

Today is a good day

I lose a lot of crackers as well, but they aren't that hard to make and so it's not that big of a deal. I recently learned to tie a cracker differently and I'm going to give it a trial for a while.  https://youtu.be/6N_KSHuJgmc?t=132

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Mark, that looks like a nifty and secure way of tying a cracker on.
Thanks for the tip.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Mark, I've often used that method to tie on crackers.  It seems to work well!  smile

'Less is often more!'

That is a really interesting video Mark, thanks for sharing!

That certainly looks easy enough. Thanks for sharing it, Mark!

Don't panic...