Re: Whips in movies?

Yes, I havent seen shadow whip, but judging by the trailer, I'm afraid i couldn't sit through it.

Though I was able to sit through The Last Dragon and Kung Pow, so who knows smile

But great suggestion Wolfgang.

Sven

-Junior, I didn't know you could fly a plane?
-Fly yes..., land no.

There was also, I now recall, a very bad American western from 1956 called 'The Black Whip'. I don't think it's on YouTube, or DVD. It made a great impression on me at the time....

'Less is often more!'

Robert Gage wrote:

Again, wholly fanciful - but I enjoyed this film! (These are supposedly 6-foot whips, but I think they look longer than that in the clip.)

Matthew, I'm sure you've seen Robby's little film 'The Whip - The Weapon'....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnwfFVnzCDI

I just watched it! I’d say it’s pretty accurate with one acception, using a piece of fabric or rope (or whip) is viable. OF COURSE better to run from a knife, but if that is not an option it is possible to defend and disarm with something like a scarf or rope.
Is it ideal? No, but it’s documented in historical combat treatises. Incedentally, when he tells the dagger attacker to hold it blade down and “attack the right way” and she still comes in under his defense, that attack is also in historic treaties. Small world!

Yesterday I was reading some old discussions about Robbys „The Whip - the weapon“ video...unrealistic movie scenes like this seem to influence some people.
I had no clue that whips are considered by some as weapons for SELF DEFENSE?!
As battle weapons in the pre-fire-arm-era but selfe defense in this day and age? Oh dear.

Wolfgang Timm wrote:

I had no clue that whips are considered by some as weapons for SELF DEFENSE?!
As battle weapons in the pre-fire-arm-era but self defense in this day and age? Oh dear.

People are often silly - and far too many live in a fantasy world. Sigh!

'Less is often more!'

Oh no! I’m being robbed! Hang on just a moment while I uncoil this 12 foot bull whip...
Hang on, the fall is knotted...

...just let me condition this leather here...

Aaaand there! Ok! Now stand 12 feet away and try to rob me, I’m ready now.

Matthew Adams wrote:

Oh no! I’m being robbed! Hang on just a moment while I uncoil this 12 foot bull whip...

Exactly:
Subject to Murphy's Law, guaranteed!

Inch by inch.

Matthew Adams wrote:

Simple solution - grab the whip about 2-3 feet up and swing the butt end.  Rest assured a good crack on the skull with the weighted end will make someone think twice!

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Funny news on instagram...Michelle Pfeiffer found her 25 year old whip from Batman Returns...and it still works. Nice sidearm flick wink

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvuAtsXgsWn/

I noticed that she's not holding it by the heel knot.
She would get better performance if she did.
Still, not bad at all.

Ron

If you boil a funny bone, it becomes a laughing stock.
That's humerus.

Also, she wobbles her elbow a bit (which fault I have been known to commit!). This means that her arm conveys unnecessary 'instructions' to the whip, which wobbles a bit in consequence. But, if she hasn't cracked it for twenty-five years, this isn't bad at all.

I'm probably out of touch with the cinema, but I'm not aware of any films featuring whips in any significant way which have appeared in recent years. Are there any?

'Less is often more!'

Cool, thanks for sharing this.

If you drop the baby, fake a seizure...

Robert Gage wrote:

I'm probably out of touch with the cinema, but I'm not aware of any films featuring whips in any significant way which have appeared in recent years. Are there any?

In Wuxia movies whips are featured every now and then, the most recent example I know of is „Monster Hunt“ (as far as I know the most successful film ever in China, hardly known in the west). But in those it’s always unrealistic like in the earlier mentioned „Shadow Whip“. At least the special FX are better as it’s all CGI nowadays.
Which leads to the question which movies feature actual REAL whip cracking. I don’t any except the usual and already mentioned suspects.

Wolfgang, I once saw (on the television) part of one of those Chinese films with CGI whip effects. I found it wholly unconvincing! And I'm not aware of anything at all recent featuring real whips, used by real people. It's very disappointing....

'Less is often more!'

Robert Gage wrote:

I checked midwestwhips.com.  Paul Nolan is quite well known in cinematic circles for his whips and has made props for quite a few movies and other productions.  His latest include "Kingsmen - The Golden Circle" and "War for the Planet of the Apes" 2 years ago.

As for a movie where a whip is "features" or used prominently, I don't think there has been any since Zorro.

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

LOL! That just made my day. Thank you!

Jeff Roseborough wrote:

How could anyone forget "Zorro, the Gay Blade"?  There is also Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.  They used Paul Nolan whips with a bit of combined CGI.

"I never said most of the things I said."
-Yogi Berra

Back to the Future 3 had  Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen carrying either a whip or a quirt while he told the Doc he was going to kill him.

Cameo, if you will.

-Yogi Berra

That Zorro spoof with Guy Hamilton was awesome! I LOVED it smile  When he had to explain that it is a "Z" and not a "2" - fantastic!
Guy Hamilton portraied also Dracula in another movie. Really cool, too.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

The Man From Snowy River is a good movie that features a stock whip quite frequently.

Ron

If you boil a funny bone, it becomes a laughing stock.
That's humerus.

Karloff's Monster in  Frankenstein (1931) has a very unfortunate outcome for Fritz and an incident with a whip.

-Yogi Berra