Re: Whips #3 & #4 by Nate Mayer

That looks like a superb whip Jyri, nice.

Sven

You've chosen wisely...

Nice, Jyri.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Jyri, Thank You so much for making that video!
Those whips are beautiful. I really like the black and white snake. There’s no need to apologize for your english, I could understand you perfectly. Even if I couldn’t, i’d try to learn your language to learn about whips from you. I think it’s awesome that we can share ideas from across the world. It’s good to see that i’m not the only one with stiff whips before they are broken in, I thought I was plaiting too tightly. Thank you again Jyri, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to make the video.

Jyri, that snake whip seems to handle especially well. Nicely done on both!

Why did she fall? Her mass distorted space-time to produce the effect we know as gravity...

Nathan Mayer wrote:

... It’s good to see that I’m not the only one with stiff whips before they are broken in, I thought I was plaiting too tightly....

Nathan, I have almost never seen a whip that's too tightly plaited!

(The only one I specifically recall was a very badly made 8-plait latigo whip, with no core. The maker tried to compensate for too few (quite wide) strands by pulling them so tightly that they bunched and twisted. That maker was me, almost 60 years ago! I had no idea then how to get what I wanted....)

And I agree with you: Jyri's snake looks particularly good!

'Less is often more!'

Thank you!

They ended up a lot stiffer than usual but you could see the effect waxing has. Usually when my whips comes out of the wax they are a lot more fluid and tgey gave stayed that way even after i have used the a lot.

I think that the way i bind my whips makes the overlay much heavier than the inner parts as they are compressed with binding. This should make the whip more flexible and some how waxing just make things flow.
I think that if the plaiting is not as tight as it should the wax has more stiffening effect as i have seen with the gutted strands i tie to my whip so i can lift it from the wax.

In short: plait as hard as you can evenly and bind in your prefferred way. Dont be afraid to wax, it might just suprise you with what it does to your whip.

Jyri, it also might be the cold temperature that's making them stiffer too.
When it warms up you might find them more flexible.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

I also thought I was plaiting too tightly because my hands were killing me. After my last whip it really hurt to make a fist even. Time has healed that, and i’m sure i’m building up the needed muscles that weren’t being used like that before.
I rather like the callouses building up on fingers from plaiting too.
I picked up wax today and will be trying out the whole waxing process after I get a heel knot on the whip i’m going to wax.

Okay, Nathan. That's it. That is way too much participation. Sorry.

Well - too much participation for a new member. I have no other choice than to level you right up to full member big_smile Serious... You won't see me here very often, but I'm here all the time. Protecting this litte lsland from all the funny bunnies out there... My instinct was right to bring you into this small community. And now you are going to see how large WB really is.

Welcome, Nate. Again smile

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Welcome to the Inner Circle of Whip Basics, Nathan!!!  Get ready for a lot of reading wink
You could not find a better place to be, anywhere.

Inch by inch.

Welcome Nathan to being a full member.
You'll have a lot of reading to do. Enjoy.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Congratulations, Nathan!

Why did she fall? Her mass distorted space-time to produce the effect we know as gravity...

Congratulations, Nathan. that was really fast! Good call, Robby.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Congratulations, Nathan! In fact, you've already participated so much that I forgot you were 'only a New Member'!  tongue

'Less is often more!'

Congrats Nathan!

Holy cow!
I was not expecting this at all when I logged on just now. I’ve been struggling with a heel knot for the past couple hours and this totally made my day and brightened my spirits! I cannot thank you enough Robby for giving me a chance to become part of this amazing community! Thank you to everyone here that has made me feel so welcome and have been so helpful! Sorry for all the exclamation points but they are needed to show my excitement and gratitude! I must say that everyday I look forward to reading the role call and hearing what you great people are up to all over this planet.
Thank You Thank You Thank You!
Now to go absorb as much knowledge as I can smile

Nathan, welcome and do continue posting your work

Today is a good day

Congrats Nathan. I'll bet you will find what you're looking for. And if not, than we'll find out together.

Sven

You've chosen wisely...