Topic: Dropping strands on the outside of overlay...

Mike Icon (same person who does Faceplait) posted a picture of a whip he made where he dropped an overlay strand on the outside like you might do on a belly, then used that strand to make a knot. One comment said they still use sinew to secure the drop a little, then put the knot around the thong.

What are your thoughts on this? I personally thought this was a neat idea, as I've started enjoying Spanish ring knots in particular for the simplicity. **Disclosure the whip below is the picture Mike posted and is his whip

https://i.imgur.com/cnmQqVu.jpg

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Re: Dropping strands on the outside of overlay...

That's a really nice looking whip.
I wonder if the knots will hold up if used regularly.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Ron, me too. Might have to try it. In theory, you could also add concentrated weight after the fact by running the strand with lead core line which could shift weight towards one end or the other for customization

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Well, I think that this points out where strand drops are, may come loose over time, and may interrupt the flow of the whip aerodynamically just a little.  Other than that it looks neat!

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Looks pretty cool, I've seen some with one SRK a bit down from the handle, but never this many. I would think that it would be pretty durable, as one end is anchored firmly into the overlay. Just have to be sure the working end is secured with super glue or something similar.

"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White

Interesting. I'm not sold on the idea.  I think I'd like to see how the series of knots affects the roll out of the thong. I suppose that you could, conceivably, purposefully place them in such a manner as to change the activity of the thong.  It might be an interesting thing to play with.

I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.

What about keeping patterns consitant and fighting bulges when dropping 2 strands at once. You could bury 1 and leave the other out to hold a pattern, while reducing bulges and kinks from double drops. Also, the knot would cover most of that up as well. Like anything, so much to think about...but I tend to overthink everything.

Collin, I find it hard to believe that those knots will hold up in the long term - and won't they impede the smooth roll-out of the thong, at least in some small degree? The whip looks great, but I'm not convinced....

'Less is often more!'

If you find it works for you, I say go for it. 

On the note of hiding bulges and strand drops, a good solid foundation to plait on and dropping at the right time for the whip overlay versus the whip maker's desired pattern will fix most of that.

Inch by inch.

It's.. definitely interesting, I'm not sure aesthetically that it's my cup of tea though.

And I agree whole heartedly with Rachel, the whip knows best, listen to the whip as you plait and those issues tend to take care of themselves.

Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.

Interesting... If you tied the knots tight I doubt you would have any problems with knots coming off as they are anchored in place. I mean we use typically knots for the heel grip and to mark the transition, these would just be at a smaller scale and out on the thong. However, as far as, performance goes they might interrupt the flow of the thong a bit. if I were going to do that I would try for a straight taper, that way the drops, and therefore the knots, would be evenly spaced.

Keep your eyes on the stars, but remember to keep your feet on the ground.
– Theodore Roosevelt

Straight taper? Isn't that an oxymoron ? smile

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

The day you miss a chance at a pun or joke, is the day I shall start to worry something is wrong Ron wink

Well, I got anxious and wanted to try this. I had a cow whip core all ready for an overlay and here's what it looks like. The knot has plenty of traction and tightness, and I also gave a little extra support by doing a constictor knot and a couple half hitches just above the strand. I don't think the knots will come undone, especially after wax which this still needs.

I also found it's easier to tie using the strand on the right if you are right handed because the natural lay of the strand automatically starts into a Turks beginning.

https://i.imgur.com/d6FrkNh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dZNXKMF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cZrGmM6.jpg

Great to see you giving it a go. Now, can you give it a crack? wink Look forwards to hearing if it feels any different as it rolls out.

Andrew, I'll try and put a comparison as soon as it's waxed and has a handle. I have another that's just about identical except for the checkerboard plait and knots, so should be fairly close

Excellent. You are turning into a plaiting machine, haha. I need to get a wiggle on tongue