Re: Collins whips/making of

Congrats Collin on your cow whip. The ring knot on the handle is a nice and unique touch. A nose heavy 16 plait cow whip is by far my favorite

He died for me, I'll live for him

Thank you Roy! What do the cowboys/ crackers normally prefer, longer 12 plait?

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Collin they have been carrying long light weight 12 plait whips forever, but I have turned a lot of them onto these heavier 16 plait whips. I have been building a lot of medium weight 14 plait whips lately, and they are a nice balance between the 2

He died for me, I'll live for him

It looks great Collin!

The pic looks great. Do you have some white paper etc in front of the light?

Thanks Roy!

Jyri, I just throw a piece of white paper on the ground and take a picture with my cell phone. I'll have to start taking some good glammer shots if the weather doesn't stay so grey and miserable.

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Collin, I really like how the grain of the wood really stands out in the cup of the handle. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I think it's a cool effect.

Yeah, that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by...

Scott, thank you! It was not intentional, as the grain didn't show that way until I started turning. The only intentional part was the "bulbs", because I knew they would show as layers...I love a happy accident. I just bought mahogany, so that will be the next turned handle!

It's like a little gift, isn't it? wink

Scott A. Cary wrote:

It's like a little gift, isn't it? wink

I find that life is full of little gifts. The people who don't notice them tend to be the control freaks! 'If I haven't done it, I don't want it!'  smile

'Less is often more!'

Robert, finding out what's hidden in there, is one of the best things about woodworking.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Here's the busiest whip I've done so far. With the snow storm, I thought I'd call it the snowmegedon whip.

5ft 12 plait with full plait aluminum handle and a couple bird's eye plaits thrown in with the "V" square start, and 2 Spanish ring accents. The ring knot on the thong was done using the dropped overlay strand. Fall has a quick change cracker loop and is tied on like a cow whip. Lastly, belly keeper loop is blue so it splashes just a little color. 

https://i.imgur.com/p1zcvWL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/m9gfCBv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lOT7mWg.jpg

This is a great looking whip.
Nice job on the handle and the v start looks really good on it.
When you can tell us how it cracks.

Ron

I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.
I'll let you know.

Looks good, how about a video of it in action.?

14 plait 7ft cow whip with 16" mahogany handle and Spanish ring dropped strand accents. Diamond plait exiting the cup and just before 2nd knot

https://i.imgur.com/FNAIABW.jpg

Nice job, Collin.

Thanks Mark. I also apologize for not seeing your comment above. Weather hasn't been cooperating, so maybe I'll do a video once it warms up a little

Nicely done Collin

Ron

I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.
I'll let you know.

Collin, was this whip waxed? The cord seems a little...off. Maybe it's the photo, maybe it's tired eyes... I'm betting the latter.

It looks great Collin!

Scott, it is waxed. You can tell especially on the blue as it gets used because it develops the "patina" you get as the wax breaks in as well