Topic: How I plait...

Here is a short(ish!) video Lonnie made for me while I was plaiting... Just plait u4o4 16 plait going into a pattern. Shows how I pull/start a pattern.  Not fast and it is plain and simple, many more do far better than I, but several folks have asked so here you go.

https://youtu.be/wH0qZhP0lys

Inch by inch.

Re: How I plait...

Very nice video Rachel.
So, the numbers on the right side of the page are being pulled from the left and ending on the left and the numbers on the left side are pulled from the right and ending on the right, correct?
Thanks for posting. smile

Ron

People who misuse the words burro and burrow, don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Rachel, my fingers start to hurt, just watching you! I'm not sure which is greater - you skill or your patience!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Thanks for posting Rachel!

Thank you Rachel! I'm really starting to like the patterns in a solid color whip for the textures it can give the overall presentation!

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Great video! Thankfully there ARE people who have this skill and most of all...patience. I would never try wink

Thank you for showing Rachel. I really like the colour of the cord and especially the systematic way you design and plait to get the pattern right.

I also guess that the whip will get a little darker /old looking when it is waxed

One day I have a small prayer. Will you show how you roll the whips. I hav two which could need it.

Flemming

Today is a good day

Very cool, Rachel.

I agree with you, Collin, I love the patterns in a solid color.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

And I agree, as well! Simpler, and more elegant - even though colours can be fun!

'Less is often more!'

Ron May wrote:

So, the numbers on the right side of the page are being pulled from the left and ending on the left and the numbers on the left side are pulled from the right and ending on the right, correct?
Thanks for posting. smile

Ron

Hey Ron! 
No sir I pull from the left and wrap around to the right for the numbers on the left side of the page.  Right side of page I pull from right and wrap to left.   
It may not be the best way, but it helps me keep track.

Thank y'all, hope it can be of any help.

Inch by inch.

Ron, It works either way, just whatever is easiest for you. I do it the opposite way, myself. Rachel's work always looks so much better than mine, so maybe I should switch it around!

Mark, just like everything, especially in whip making, there's more than one way and it all boils down to what ever works best for each individual.
I agree, she does marvelous work, and so do you. smile

Ron

People who misuse the words burro and burrow, don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Mark, your work is on par and lightyears ahead of mine.  Only a few number of whips is any difference.... Trust me.  Your skill in the whip number you are on, with the movement of the whip you already have attained.... You have the ability and talent to have much broader range than I ever could!  The knots you can tie... 

Your whips move a whole lot like mine.

Inch by inch.

Rachel, you are too kind, but thank you. I've had some very good teachers from this forum, you especially.

Rachel McCollough wrote:

many more do far better than I

Rachel, your modesty runs the risk of selling yourself short.  You make a pretty kick-ass whip.  I've got a few laying around here somewhere, so I'm in the know... wink

If you drop the baby, fake a seizure...

Scott, I will remember that, you absolutely should know if anyone does!!!!

Inch by inch.

Hey Rachel, I know this is a bit old, but as you know, I’m a noob. I’m going to start on my first whip tomorrow. I watched this video & thought, “what the hell is she even doing?”. I’m so impressed by tour skill & work!

I have saved many lives, and never taken one.

Thanks, Mr. Michael!  I appreciate it.  You can certainly do it too, it is just lots of practice.

Inch by inch.

Thank you so much for sharing Rachel. Learning in isolation I always appreciate the chance to watch someone experienced working at their own speed. You have no idea how much it helps me to be able to just observe your natural plaiting rhythm and how you transition to patterns, I can already see a few changes I can make to how I'm doing things that will speed up the process, and make it more consistent.

Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.

You are sure welcome, Andrew!   Watching others sure helps me too.

Inch by inch.