Topic: New Cracker/ Fall Idea

So I was driving along to work today and was fidgeting with a pair of larger grommet pliers and had an epiphany...what if I could put an eyelet at the end of the fall for cracker attachment. I've seen people, and have done myself, burn a small hole into the end of a nylong fall and feed a cracker through. I haven't had great luck with this because after the first 20 cracks or so it would always tear itself apart. I went in to Michaels after work and found small 1/8" eyelets. They are barely small enough, but after a few attempts and fine tuning, it worked beautifully. I usually use 750 Paracord for falls due to added mass, but wanted to try 550 just to make sure it would work on that for the vast majority of people. Theoretically, you're also giving the tip a small increase in mass, and maybe a decrease in wind resistance due to larger hole...is it enough to measure? Probably not but it can't hurt anything. I also don't see why this couldn't be used for leather. If you like it, I can attempt a quick tutorial and out it up...and if you don't like it let me know also! smile

https://i.imgur.com/aKtFSGT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jZHe2gO.jpg

"I didn't fail 1,000 times, I simply succeeded in finding 1,000 ways it will not work." T. Edison

Re: New Cracker/ Fall Idea

That looks pretty cool.

I would, however, be leery of the grommet coming out and flying at the maximum velocity at someone. It does have a potential of being dangerous.

Ron

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Hey Collin, I have the same concern as Ron, of the metal grommet flying out. In my opinion, a double brummel splice is a much better alternative, shown below. This is because there's no metal bits, and no melted bits to break, just unbroken paracord.
The one in the image is made from technora rope, but that's because it was a fire whip fall (I don't have any clear images of my paracord falls).

https://i.imgur.com/osoytRJ.jpg

I believe I put some tutorials on how to do them somewhere on this forum smile Hope that helps!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Collin, even as I read your post, I had the same concern as Ron and Sparky. My own view is that, if something nasty can happen, sooner or later it will. I'd be very wary of that grommet.

I have several whips with a small English eye at the end of the fall - but without trawling through my whole collection (something I'm not prepared to do at 6.10 am!) I can't recall which makers did these - though I'm pretty sure Ben Varsek is one of them.

I second the Brummel Splice, a little bit fiddly, but effective.  It's great to see you thinking outside the box though, not every idea will be a winner, but that doesn't mean it's ever a wasted excersize smile

The best rule breakers are those who first gain an intimate understanding of the rules they wish to break.

The idea in theory is sound but dangerus as implemented.  Imagine that eyelet traveling at 700 mph! 

How about singe the end of the paracord fall creating a small hole in the end,  Put the fall through the loop in the cracker.  Place the other end of the cracker in a lacing needle, pierce the side of the paracord fall, and feed the needle in and through the singed hole.

With leather you could cut a small hole in the end of the fall and feed the cracker through it.  Eventually after much abuse the end wears and breaks off.  Easier to us a simple hitch to hold the cracker on.

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Jeff, the issue I find is that singed paracord is very brittle, and can break easily especially at the speeds and forces it goes through. It's why I've been using the Brummel splice on my falls for years big_smile

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Collin, I don't know if you've seen this or not but Tyler Blake has a nifty way to make double loop falls. That's a fall with a loop at both ends for fast change overs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO2DZ26Rx9o&t=5s

Ron

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

I have had the best luck with either a double loop ended fall or by just singing the end of the fall and pushing it up against somethig hard so that there is a flat disc at the end ala Rhett Kelly. The paracord actually holds up pretty well to a traditional cracker knot like Ron Edwards shows in his books. I've never had a cracker come off of the double loop falls or the RK fall. I have lost a few from the traditional method, but usually can find them with the lawnmower.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Mark, I thought my lawnmower was special and now I find out it's not.
Thanks. tongue

Ron

Thanks all for the comments! I'll give the brummel splice a shot, and also check out Tyler's videos. I like the flat disk idea, but wondering in terms of wind resistance if you're essentially creative a "paddle"...or if the increased desntiy would negate this? Hey, if i end up having 100 ideas, 1 is bound to be good eventually wink

"I didn't fail 1,000 times, I simply succeeded in finding 1,000 ways it will not work." T. Edison

Collin Weaver wrote:

Hey, if i end up having 100 ideas, 1 is bound to be good eventually wink

Exactly, Collin! That's the spirit!  smile

Regardless if any new ideas work or not, knowledge is gained and that in it's self is a mighty success.

Ron

Collin, in the spirit of the season now rapidly approaching:  "You'll put your eye out!" wink

Yeah, that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by...

Scott, big_smile big_smile big_smile

Ron

Your Edison sig says it all, Collin. We don't learn unless we find out what doesn't work.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Sir Roger Tuson wrote:

Your Edison sig says it all, Collin. We don't learn unless we find out what doesn't work.

I think the philosopher Karl Popper showed pretty conclusive that knowledge advances by disproving things, not by proving them. His classic example: you can spend a lifetime observing hundreds of white swans, but that doesn't prove that all swans are white. However, if you see even one black swan, that proves that not all swans are white! Science advances by formulating hypotheses, and then trying to disprove them!

Scott, great reference! lol

It has become so easy with the internet and news cycles to just keep reaffirming what you already believe and block out any challenges. This is not helpful for the progression of anything, and I love the ability to be constructively criticized and grow smile

Nice idea Collin! Though, as everyone has pointed out, it wouldn't be the safest thing to put at the tip of a whip.
A quote from someone, I don't remember who...
"You don't learn much from a success, other than that it works; but failures create lasting lessons that will not soon be forgotten."

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious."
- Albert Einstein