Topic: The Arrowhead from August 12 to 21, 2018

Since the original challenge is two years old and was basically completed a year ago, I saw this section more like an archive or video library of the different cracks. But now I‘ll try to stick to the original format using the ‚stick of death‘ between the days I know I‘ll have the opportunity to a) get video footage and b) the time to drive to my practice area.
So here is a separate thread for the arrowhead which was not covered as part of the 10/10 yet.
Yesterday was the start for me with a practice session completely dedicated to this routine.
Today it was raining cats and dogs, so the ‚stick of death‘ was used.
Yesterday’s video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnfz-wMiW_g

I am quite happy for the start although I later recognized that I messed up the 4th crack that should come FAST figure 8 style directly after the third. I inserted an extra swing which made it a slow figure 8 with some delay. The mistake was because I didn’t really turn back to the right side again.
Today I tried to figure out the movement with the s.o.d. , which I found rather difficult, because the groove that’s in this combo wasn’t really there. I wonder how this turns out next time with a real whip.

Re: The Arrowhead from August 12 to 21, 2018

Wolfgang, is the arrowhead supposed to be a continuous volley or is is just a 4 crack combination?

Ron

I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented... I forgot where I was going with this.

Ron, I would say at some point it’s continuous or can be, but there really is no need to start that way. Once the technique is correct it won’t be a problem to do it as a continuous volley.
There seem to be only two tutorials for this on youtube , one by midwest whips , and one by Adam Winrich. Midwest explains it as a set of volleys changing from left to right side, which Adam also does in the second part of his tutorial:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iUVOcR4yAAM
What I try to do however, is to just focus on the first 1:30 min of this video and do it as a four crack combination.

After looking at the Hamburg-meeting videos again I found that the way I did it here was indeed the second version of a four crack pattern Adam showed me, only that I used a „wrong“ entry point.
If the reverse cattleman is put at the beginning instead of the end, one would have a four crack routine without a significant delay between the four cracks.
1. reverse cattleman right
2. cattleman diagonally to the left/middle
3. backward volley to the left
4. forward volley to the middle/right
This is like a slow F8 arrowhead

In the above video it is a fast F8 arrowhead
1. Diagonal cattleman right
2. backward volley left
3. forward volley
4. second part of fast figure 8

Now I an confused. Can anyone explain to me what a volley is ??

Flemming, a „roll-back“ does that sound better? This section has a thread about volleys, but I can also post my latest video on volleys here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XavzX0djEkM

Thanks, I just could not see how it was used in the routine.

I think I will start learn the volleys soon smile

Cracks No. 2 and 3 are similar two standard volleys I think although they are given a diagonal push to change the sides.
Yesterday I occasionally managed the version with ends with the second part of the fast figure 8, but it’s a challenge. Much more difficult for me and as soon as I take one part for granted and am already thinking about the next crack, I mess up.

Wolfgang Timm wrote:

2. cattleman diagonally to the left/middle
This is like a slow F8 arrowhead

WRONG!

2. diagonal forward flick

This is one other possible working sequence.  Two full cattlemans , reverse or forward , just take too much time and interrupt the flow.
I think the best way to learn is closely sticking to the first one and a half minutes of the arrowhead tutorial video by Adam.

Flemming and Wolfgang, I'll make sure we spend a little time on this at the meet and greet.  I turn my body a bit to keep the volley going

If you fall, I'll be there.
                            ~Floor

Jessie, that would be great! smile Looking forward to it!

This thing is tricky...turned a bit too far to the left today, and had difficulties to get back to the right into the second part of fast figure 8 for the last crack, so everything got a little hectic. But the basic form is there, I think. Needs more precision and practice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlDpFKwx9HA

I'm not seeing a loop forming.
You might try slowing down and doing the combo as slow as you can and still keep the whip in the air. Never mind the crack just get the loop to form better.
Then slowly speed it up until you get a crack.
You might think of ending it in a circus crack after the rearward reverse crack just to finish it off.
Just a thought.

Ron

I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented... I forgot where I was going with this.

I mentioned an idea on how to teach this to Robby today.  He said he thought about trying that as well, so we may have a special teaching corner in Munich in 2 weeks.

If you fall, I'll be there.
                            ~Floor

Ron you‘re right, and I think the root cause is that I’m pushing the initial crack way too far to the left. After comparing the slow motion of this to the slo-mo of Adam Winrich in Hamburg it’s very obvious. Too „overstretched“ and flat, kind of like a blunt Arrowhead instead a of sharp one. But I think I‘m not too far away from a working sequence, slowing down and forget about the crack will help here.

Jessie, I really can’t wait now... smile