Re: Whips by Ethan Mitchell

I love it!!!  Waxing added more depth to an already awesome work.  That heel knot looks very comfortable!

Inch by inch.

Ethan, Rachel is right: waxing adds much more depth - which I think is a great improvement. The heel knot is wonderful!

Thanks everyone!

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious."
- Albert Einstein

Hey guys,
I have given the whip a thorough test cracking. And it seems that the fiberglass handle has cracked down towards where it gets very thin(at the tip in can fit inside a four plait). sad So I plan on cutting the thong off and putting it in a wood handle. And I guess I can finish off the remainder of the old handle and include it as a stick of death. tongue

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious."
- Albert Einstein

Ahhh, man, that sucks. That was a pretty cool looking whip, too.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Arrrhhh... It could have been fun to win a whip with such a long handle - judt for trying it

Flemming,
I know right? I guess I should have waited to see if the handle could stand the stress before announcing that, sorry!

- Albert Einstein

Ethan, that stinks...sorry to hear it. sad

Yeah, that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by...

What a pity! It looked so interesting....

Sorry to hear that Ethan!

Ethan , do not say sorry to me. You are the one who I should say sorry to. You have had all the work

Hey guys!
So I got some wood handled whips finished.
The first one uses the thong from whip #11 which two big problems: an extremely tight keeper, and the fiberglass rod that slipped up towards the keeper leaving the heel knot without anything under it.
http://i.imgur.com/ge1bd51l.jpg
And I finally was able to make a handle for whip #13:
http://i.imgur.com/BpP2PeZl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ArpTdZCl.jpg
This handle I just coated with poly. No stain this time. The cup did turn out a bit thick tongue

- Albert Einstein

Those look very nice Ethan. Good work.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Ethan, those look very good, especially the second one.
Thicker is better than broke. There's tons of stress on the walls of a cup.
Good job.

Ron

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

They look very nice, Ethan smile

Run, you clever boy
...and be a Doctor!

Looks nice ethan

They look great Ethan!

Nice work!

Yeah, that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by...

Ethan, they look very good!  Some woods you can just put a coat of wax and melt it in with a hairdryer or heat gun too if you need an alternative. 

You are only going to get better.  I have no doubt, you will continue to progress quickly.

Inch by inch.

...and I am kind of more partial to #12, it is quite remnicient of some of the older cow whips I have mended.  It is unique.

Inch by inch.