Re: Whips in movies?

Yes, I havent seen shadow whip, but judging by the trailer, I'm afraid i couldn't sit through it.

Though I was able to sit through The Last Dragon and Kung Pow, so who knows smile

But great suggestion Wolfgang.

Sven

Oh, what a day... what a lovely day!

There was also, I now recall, a very bad American western from 1956 called 'The Black Whip'. I don't think it's on YouTube, or DVD. It made a great impression on me at the time....

Robert Gage wrote:

Again, wholly fanciful - but I enjoyed this film! (These are supposedly 6-foot whips, but I think they look longer than that in the clip.)

Matthew, I'm sure you've seen Robby's little film 'The Whip - The Weapon'....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnwfFVnzCDI

I just watched it! I’d say it’s pretty accurate with one acception, using a piece of fabric or rope (or whip) is viable. OF COURSE better to run from a knife, but if that is not an option it is possible to defend and disarm with something like a scarf or rope.
Is it ideal? No, but it’s documented in historical combat treatises. Incedentally, when he tells the dagger attacker to hold it blade down and “attack the right way” and she still comes in under his defense, that attack is also in historic treaties. Small world!

Yesterday I was reading some old discussions about Robbys „The Whip - the weapon“ video...unrealistic movie scenes like this seem to influence some people.
I had no clue that whips are considered by some as weapons for SELF DEFENSE?!
As battle weapons in the pre-fire-arm-era but selfe defense in this day and age? Oh dear.

Wolfgang Timm wrote:

I had no clue that whips are considered by some as weapons for SELF DEFENSE?!
As battle weapons in the pre-fire-arm-era but self defense in this day and age? Oh dear.

People are often silly - and far too many live in a fantasy world. Sigh!

Oh no! I’m being robbed! Hang on just a moment while I uncoil this 12 foot bull whip...
Hang on, the fall is knotted...

...just let me condition this leather here...

Aaaand there! Ok! Now stand 12 feet away and try to rob me, I’m ready now.

Matthew Adams wrote:

Oh no! I’m being robbed! Hang on just a moment while I uncoil this 12 foot bull whip...

Exactly:
Subject to Murphy's Law, guaranteed!

Inch by inch.

Matthew Adams wrote:

Simple solution - grab the whip about 2-3 feet up and swing the butt end.  Rest assured a good crack on the skull with the weighted end will make someone think twice!

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.